“Avoid if you are Hungry!”
Review of The Six Bells

The Six Bells
Ranked #9 of 35 Restaurants in Thame
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Pretty as a picture both inside and out, The Six Bells in Thame is the quintessential country pub in Thame think roaring fires, a wonderful garden, real ale on tap and superb Pub food in our fantastic restaurant.
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My wife and I went to the Six Bells tonight on a one-off visit to Thame. We had a small dog with us, so were limited as to where we could go to eat. We chose the Six Bells because it had a nice garden area. However the staff said we could have taken her inside had we wished to and immediately gave us a bowl of water for her. The staff were very friendly and helpful and we were happy with our choice of pub initially. This changed when we ordered food. .. My wife and I are not gluttons or big eaters. We often eat less than our friends when dining and normally are happy with just one course. Often our friends try and cajole us into having a starter or a dessert. On this occasion we just went for a main course from their specials board. The meal was listed as 'Beef, Ale and Mushroom Pie with new potatoes and seasonal vegetables'. Normally for such a pub meal (depending on location) you would expect to pay between 8 to 12 pounds. We paid £11.95 each, so towards the upper end of the pie and veg pub grub scale. We waited for circa 40 mins for it to arrive and by then we had built up an appetite. However when the waitress arrived with our meal we were stunned. The pies were in a dish around the same size of a creme brulee dish. - they were that small. The 'new potatoes and seasonal veg' consisted of circa four tiny baby potatoes each and a small smattering of thin green beans. That was it! When the waitress walked off we assumed she had gone to get the vegetables, but this was it! The whole meal was the size of a starter. The potatoes and seasonal veg were more like a garnish than a side dish. my wife and I now wish we'd taken photos of our meals to emphasise the point. What was it like? Fine, but not outstanding. If we had eaten a meal that was out of this world we'd maybe have conceded we had value for money, but it was just bog standard pub grub. When the waiter came and collected our empty plates and asked how it was, we informed him that the meal was more like a starter than a main and he said 'I'll tell the chef'. Well if the chef was of the opinion that this was a normal portion, then the chef must also work as a model for Calvin Klein!

My wife and I walked back through Thame afterwards en route to our car feeling ripped off, disgruntled and underfed. As I have stated, we are not big eaters , but we spent the walk back contemplating nipping into a chip shop and bemoaning that we had chosen to eat in the Six Bells. £12 each for a starter in a pub is not good value for money. The Six Bells should take note. Despite the lovely staff we will NEVER be back!

There are newer reviews for The Six Bells

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was shopping in Thame.. a by the way lovely town to visit! Wondered into the six bells before i went home, I was pretty early but was very pleased how friendly the place was and of course how quick they were as i was (odds are) the first order for lunch.
Ordered the steak i cant recall the name but was main steak dish on the menu med - well done arrived in good time the meal was so pretty it seemed a shame to eat it! the steak was not quite how i liked it so asked them to re-do After 10min my food was re-presented to me and it was just right the staff were helpful and checked on me twice to check the meal ticked my box's! but most importently didn't make me feel i was being akward! (as other places had)
I enjoyed it so much that with hardly any room left i ordered the banana split with home-made ice cream with a coffee .. extra milk as coffee to strong gives me headache the waitress lilly advised me they have 2 shots in coffee and would i like to try with 1? I said great thanks she brought it over and even some extra milk on the side just in case...! It was very thouhtfull service and deff above and beyond.. well done six bells!

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Excellent food, quaint feel, but don't be in a rush as food is freshly cooked, and can take awhile to be served. I recently had a friend over from South Africa and she wanted to go to a real English pub so took her here. She loved it and went home happy that she had visited a real English pub and enjoyed the food! There is also parking at the back of the pub.

1  Thank Glamgran111
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The staff at the Six Bells are always very pleasant and friendly, however, they are not the most efficient bunch! We have eaten here on a few occasions and while the food has always been above average with generous portions, the service can be somewhat slow and muddled. I would definitely recommend for a decent pub meal, but would avoid during peak hours unless you are prepared to wait.

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Four of us went to a local pub restaurant on recommendation.the service was dreadful.we waited 30minutes before being given a menu.a good job we took our drinks to the table..Twe of us had a starter which took a further 25 minutes to arrive. The main course for me was a disaster.I ordered fish and chips. This came out ( after a table of 8 who came in after us was served their main course ) looking like a cremated offering. This was duly sent back. On being offered a replacement I asked how long this would take.all the response I received from the waitress was shrugged shoulders. I ordered a bowl of chips. Guess what The other guests had finished their meal before these arrived Luke warm Avoid like the plague

1  Thank brian b