“Enjoyable stay”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Milton Common
Dolgellau, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Had a very enjoyable 2 night stay at the hotel with 4 friends. We had all been at the same class at school many years ago and now live in different parts of the country - this was something of an overdue reunion. Reception staff were very friendly and efficient. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the breakfast was excellent. However, the hotel was a little difficult to find, I had programmed the postcode into the sat nav and she announced 'destination' while I was on the M40. This was somewhat disconcerting and I was certainly ready for a glass of wine in the bar on arrival. Other than that, I would definitely recommend the hotel and would be happy to go there again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Julian W, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Eirian T,
Thank you for your review; I'm delighted that you enjoyed a successful reunion with your friends. Many guests take advantage of our central location and easy access from the M40 in order to meet up with friends and family - strange that your satnav mislead you. We hope to welcome you back again next year perhaps?
Julian White

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Reviewed November 4, 2013

A group of us stayed at this hotel this weekend, our second visit.

We had issues throughout the weekend at every meal and in the bar with tables not being cleared. On Saturday night, during dinner, we counted twenty glasses on our table as empty glasses were never taken away! The same happened on Sunday afternoon in the bar area. The waitress couldn’t fit any more coffee cups on the table, but still squeezed them on and walked away with an empty tray!

We were told at check in we had to pay up front or give a credit card number. None of us had brought credit cards, this really should have been mentioned by reservations when we made the original booking. Also, we were told on different occasions lunch was 12-2pm, and 12.30-2.30pm. Again, not a huge problem but there seems to be a real lack of communication.

Our major issue was with the spa. I have worked as a beauty therapist for twenty years and my facial was the worst I have ever experienced. The products were great, just delivered badly. My massage was ok, firm pressure but too fast. The facial left me tense and irritated. All of us discussed how we were covered by towels where our feet and lower legs were left exposed. The breathing holes were also left open so our heads dropped back into them. The couches were just laid flat , very uncomfortable when laying on the back. I told my therapist that I have a weak lower back and can’t lay flat so she gave me one small, rolled up hand towel to go under both my knees. After a few minutes when my back started to hurt, I bent my knees but the therapist didn’t say anything. The facial processes were again very quick and having my nose covered by hot mitts and hands throughout the treatment was very unpleasant. I was also poked in the eye and had my hair pulled! One good thing was that my skin felt nice later that day! Two of my friends who had file and polishes were asked to choose their varnishes in a dark corridor so it was difficult to see the true colours. They then had varnish left on their skin.

After composing to the hotel I was emailed a generic £10 spa voucher! Not sure if this was meant to be a joke?!

We won't be returning.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Helzbelles
Julian W, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Helzbelles,
I/m sorry to hear that you experienced some issues during your stay and would like to assure you that we will investigate your comments. I'd appreciate it if you could forward the communication you refer to to jwhite@QHotels.co.uk .
Essex Uk
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Well done to the excellent staff at The Oxford Belfry! You made my special weekend away with friends so enjoyable. Eight of us stayed for the two night spa package.
The food was excellent, as was the service. The waiting staff bent over backwards to help us, and the service was so efficient. Our waiter 'Robert' was particularly cheerful and let us try a few different wines before we made our selection each evening, and also bought out a little birthday cake with a candle on top. The little touches made us very happy!
The ladies giving the spa massage treatments were excellent. I have had many sports massages before, but none as good as this. The ladies also gave me a free spa goodie bag because I was there to celebrate my 50th birthday. A lovely touch. Well done ladies. I'm sorry that I didn't get your names.

The bedrooms were clean and functional but a little stark. The water in the hot tap was far too hot though.
The shower curtains were rather annoying because they stuck to you when you had a shower. It made the bathroom look a bit cheap.
Perhaps the bathrooms could be upgraded soon?

We were rather disappointed by the pool area, and didn't find it particularly relaxing. The lights were very bright against the white walls, and the steam room didn't work. A few plants and wooden lounge chairs would have made it look more comfortable.
The sauna was lovely but there was a very smelly puddle just outside it by the shower where the water had not drained away. This was there both days I used the area. No jacuzzi either.
I think a jacuzzi is essential if you are advertising spa weekends. The pool was nice and warm.

The gym and exercise room were good and we enjoyed using them.

Having visited a few Qhotels, I would definitely commend the staff at The Belfry Oxford.
It wasn't the most modern and stylish hotel, but the staff made up for this.

Room Tip: Great for a ladies weekend away for a special birthday. The spa treatment and food were excellent, a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sally Ann D,
Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding the team here; I'm delighted that you were so well looked after! May I take the opportunity to wish you a Happy Birthday and we hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Easy to find, this hotel is just off the motorway. Ok, it's no oil painting from the outside, but inside it's lovely. Nice, friendly receptionist, organised our evening meal straight away. Gave good instructions to our room. I had asked for a quiet room with a good view, and this is what we got! We had a good sized room with a very big en suite, adequate drawers and large open fronted wardrobe. Only slight annoyance, there was no safe in the room, you could take any valuables to reception though!
We had a lovely swim in the warm pool, there is a fun shower ( rain, i think), good, warm sauna and warm loungers, shame the steam room was not working. The changing rooms were huge, nice showers and a costume drier, also decent hair driers, fantastic!
The evening meal was where the four stars became evident, from the moment we arrived in the lovely restaurant, we were treated with courtesy and friendliness. The soup was flavoursome, the tomato roll sublime! My chicken with a mousse filling was moist, my husbands beef was meltingly perfect, my only criticism, was the green beans were too crunchy, this I told our waitress and she seemed genuinely sorry! The dessert was a dreamy raspberry torte, gorgeous. Special mention must go to the most cheerful, helpful waitress I have had the pleasure to meet, her name was Mary Walters.
After a good nights sleep, I went for another lovely swim and then we had an equally lovely breakfast, one small ask, can you warm the plates! Everything else was perfect.
Checkout was smooth and we were asked if we enjoyed our stay, well, what was there not to enjoy? Hope we will be lucky enough to go back!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank weekender066
Julian W, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear weekender066,
Thank you so much for your kind review; I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and will make sure that Mary sees your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you back again soon!
Kent
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We are members of the Breakaway Q Hotel Club so we have visited a number of Q Hotels. The first one we went to, the Cambridge Belfry was lovely and the food and service was excellent however none of the ones we have been to since have been as good. At this one, the room was lovely - could not fault it however a number of things let the hotel down. Our special offer included a drinks voucher for £5 per person + a newspaper each day. The receptionist thought it was one drinks voucher between us and I had to show him the special offer to get 2 so if I had not known I wouldn't have got it. I received a newspaper on Day 1 but the next day no paper arrived and no spares so nothing that day. The menu said that inclusive package diners got an allowance of £26 including food and coffee but not drinks. We were charged on our bill for coffees which were within the £26 allowance so again had we not known we would have been charged for these. Staff on the front desk should be made aware of what the offers comprise. The food was very nice but nothing special for the price and the service on the first night was appalling. We told the lady who showed us to our table that we had already made our selection whilst having a drink in the bar but we still had to wait half an hour for anyone to even come with water and rolls and then another wait to give our order. This sort of service continued throughout our meal however on the second night both the food and the service were much better. Assume it was a different chef on but everything much tastier and the service was excellent. When it came to paying the bill it was totally wrong.. Apart from the coffees mentioned above, it had on it a service charge of £13 for the first night which we had specifically said we would not pay due to the bad service. We were also charged for 2 dinners for the friends who were dining with us who had already paid for their meals. Also we were not charged for 3 drinks which we had had in the bar, apparently they had been charged to someone else's room so it just shows it pays to check your bill carefully. Did not think that this was very efficient. We will give Q Hotels one last chance and if we are not happy next time we will not return. What we have always found however, in all Q Hotels, is that the staff are all lovely and always very helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Captainmoosehead
Dear Captainmoosehead,
Thank you for your feed back. I am sorry to hear that you experienced a couple of issues in relation to service and billing and would like to assure you that I will be discussing your comments with the appropriate department managers. When you make your next booking with QHotels, please do mention the problems you have had and the hotel will ensure that you are looked after.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed in room 120 for £120 a night and it was a nightmare with drunk people stopping outside the door of our room to talk about their lives and one would go and another drunk person would come five minutes later. Then you hear people stopping at the parking and talking for 30 minutes. The room was decidedly average and the view, well judge it for yourself from the picture. The Turkish guy at the desk was nice but the room he gave us was very poor. Also the older gentleman running the breakfast room was very professional but the quality of breakfast was very cheap and we barely ate anything.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Simon C
Dear Simon C,
Thank you for your review; I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay and were disturbed by other guests. Given the opportunity, we do our utmost to resolve any issues our guests are experiencing during their stay, so would hope that you had an opportunity to speak with the duty manager to resolve the concerns you had.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed for a conference. Check in slow. Rooms ok but the place is sprawling so you might walk some way before finding your room. Food quality for a conference was good with wide choices. No business centre which for a conference hotel was strange - and they charge per sheet to print something for you if you email it to reception - a bit irritating given the price of the conference room. Staff ok but came across as dismissive at times. Gym was small given the size of the place and aircon didn't seem to be working. Overall ok but have been to better conference hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank avidtraveller57
Dear avidtraveller57,
Thank you for your comments. Just to say that we offer all the facilities of a business centre, but these are located at reception so that members of the team are available to assist/arrange as required.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milton Common
Oxford Spires Hotel
Oxford Spires Hotel
#12 of 44 in Oxford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,693 reviews

Been to The Oxford Belfry? Share your experiences!