“Good and bad points”

The Oxford Belfry
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Milton Common
“Good and bad points”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

GOOD -We stayed here for a spa day package to celebrate my hen night , What great value for money! £99 each based on 2 people sharing and we got lunch, dinner, breakfast the accommodation and 2 beauty treatments plus 2 days use of the spa. the rooms were lovely with comfy beds and the food was great, so much choice ! - you think paying so little you would get a sandwich and some chips for lunch but no it was a full buffet with so much choice, all of which was really tasty and dinner was great to - you get £26 allowance but the mains are £16 and starters and desserts are £5 each meaning you could have a 3 course meal, only thing we had to pay for was 2 extortionately priced bottles of wine!
Now for the bad points.
We read in our welcome leaflet that they would charge you per bottle corkage if you bought your own in, I think this is awful as the cheapest bottle there is £30 ! if the wine was reasonably priced you wouldn't feel the need to bring your own in ! Also when we met for breakfast my mum told me that housekeeping had knocked on her door at ten to 8 in the morning, I know they have a lot of rooms to clean but its very early to start knocking on doors, I cant imagine even people going to work for 9am would be out of their rooms by then. Also I think if I would go on a spa day again I would chose an actual spa rather than a hotel. very small pool with no hot tub or Jacuzzi There's nothing worse than trying to relax by the pool and getting splashed by someone who thinks they are training for the Olympics and having some lady in a wet suit teaching children how to swim. coming out of my treatments and laying on a lounger hearing 'now lets kick our legs more my ducky cant see how your moving' - zen feeling gone

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Julian W, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Benners2013,
Thanks for your comments; I agree that we offer great value spa breaks for our guests that are hard to beat. Our spa packages are priced according to the facilities we can offer here as a hotel with a spa and for this reason we are a popular choice.
Julian White

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
New Milton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This was my third visit to this Hotel (twice this year).Each occasion has been 1st class.All staff are very friendly and helpful. The dining area has been improved from my June visit and I was very impressed.Standard of food very good and well presented.Overall very good value for money, as are other Hotels in the Q group.I noticed that the Hotel had an AA 4 Star 2013 certificate.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BTL301233,
I'm delighted that you came back to see us once again! Thank you so much for your comments and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Cuckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Although we only stayed one night the service and staff were amazing.

Everybody was friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

We had a standard room but it extremely comfortble, clean and well furnished. The breakfast and again the service was very good.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear mrmikeprince,
Thanks for your kind words; I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back again soon.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed over at this hotel as I wanted to get away for the weekend and do some shopping at Bicester Village

The room I booked was a Suite with Full English Breakfast for the little one

First impressions of the hotel was great, lots of free car parking space, leisure club, nice bar, what more can I ask for

Check in was straight forward, although I was not asked if I needed help with my bags

I made the assumption I was in a large standard room, only to be amazed at the Suite I got.

The room was more then big enough for my small family of 3

Bathroom had a shower cubical and bath with jacuzzi function

The only thing I was dissapointed with was the cleanliness of the resteraunt area the following morning

Plates and cups looked like they had not been washed and were all greasy and marked with food items from before

So my advise is do not book with breakfast!

Apart from that the hotel staff were great and room was lovely

Room Tip: Book Superior Room and request Rm 153
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear jgohill,
Thank you for your review; I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel facilities. I am sorry that your breakfast experience was not up to our usual high standards; please be assured that this was a one-off and I would definitely recommend our breakfast.
Maidstone
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Just an overnight stay but the room was comfortable and well equipped, Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast had a good variety - hot and cold. I had bacon and eggs, they were good but a little on the cold side.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank starfishsg
Julian W, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear starfishsg,
Thanks for your comments and I'm glad the hotel suited your overnight stay. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Melbourne
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed at the Oxford Belfry for 3 nights. A very clean, spacious and comfortable room. I do agree with other reviewers that the rooms are a long way from reception. I considered the hotel to be more of a conference centre with functions happening whilst we were there. Also a reception venue for weddings and special occasions, it is not a small intimate hotel. However, it was a very pleasant stay and have no issues with the service we received. We enjoyed breakfast each morning and I do agree that they need a new toaster! We had lunch twice in the bar and the first time had to wait quite sometime for our meal, even when there were very few people around, the second time there was a function in progress in the conference rooms and the bar was crowded with participants and we had difficulty finding a table. We had to wait awhile for this meal too. The meals were very nice when they finally arrived. I felt that the conferences took precedence over the other guests, just my opinion. I have given this hotel 4 stars because the rooms were very comfortable and spacious with appealing decor and fittings and the meals were very good. All the staff were very pleasant. I would recommend more signage on the way as we had difficulty finding the hotel and had to stop and ask for directions. The map on the web is not clear enough. I would recommend this hotel with the understanding it is not a small intimate place but a sprawling complex catering for all kinds of events.

Room Tip: Ask for one closer to reception.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LizzieMelbourne,
Thank you for your review; I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. You are absolutely correct, we are a large hotel with a great team offering flexible event facilities for conferences, meetings, weddings and other special occasions, catering for intimate up to large scale banqueting events, but leisure and spa breaks are also popular particularly at the weekends with individuals and special interest groups coming together for a weekend get-together. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This hotel has some of the nicest staff I have come across in hotels, very helpful, cheerful and genuine exactly what you wish for in a hotel, so a good start. Unforunately that was also the best thing about the hotel. This hotel is in desperate need of some TLC, it is tired and worn especially in the communal areas. The rooms whilst a good walk from the reception area were clean and the bed comfortable except for the pillows which were so voluminous I got a headache and neckache from sleeping on them. Offering different size pillows would certainly help matters. The bathrooms are large but the dusty rose with beige and wood panelled decor is very dated which is a shame. The worst thing about this 4 star hotel is the TV offering, dreadful they just have 6 Freeview channels and those were totally pixelated even on a small 22" TV, I could not watch anything so this should be improved upon. The hotel need sports, movies and some decent channels to watch in room especially for female business guests who when travelling alone will not go down to the bar to watch sports on their own. The bar is very big and they could do with more clientele but it had just 1 TV in the corner which could only be seen by roughly 30% of the entire bar area. They did have Sky Sports but 1 TV in such a big bar is a shame and is not going to get people in and spend money in the bar. We had 2 UK football teams playing in the Champions League that evening and the 1 TV caused a bit of a problem and not everybody was happy. Breakfast was okay have had better in 4 star hotels for sure but they do have a hot buffet so could not complain. All in all if some money was invested in making the stay as guest friendly as the staff than this would be a hotel worth going back to, as it is I will probably go elsewhere next time I am in Theale on business.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear RWPB,
Thank you for your comments and I am sorry to read that you felt that some of our facilities were lacking. The television in the bar is in one particular area so that those guests who do not wish to hear or watch it, have other areas available to them. Thank you for your kind feed back regarding the staff and I do hope that on second thoughts, this entices you back again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milton Common
#7 of 44 in Oxford
Holiday Inn Oxford
Holiday Inn Oxford
#12 of 44 in Oxford

Been to The Oxford Belfry? Share your experiences!