“Generally good, worked well for a meeting”
Review of The Oxford Belfry

The Oxford Belfry
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Milton Common
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Most aspects of the hotel are very nice. The staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are a good standard. The public areas are attractive and modern. The meeting room and meeting facilities were good but nothing special. The two main let downs were the shower (just a feeble trickle) and the food. Breakfast in particular was poor, with a dried out hot buffet and little other choice. Lunch was better. The hotel is in the country, but there is nothing particular nearby. It is not in a village, and it is not very convenient for Oxford.

Overall, good for a meeting but I wouldn't specially recommend it for anything else.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
OBjwhite, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear MyReview186361
Thank you for your feed back regarding your stay and I'm pleased to read that you found our meeting rooms served their purpose. As you say, we are in the Oxfordshire countryside, not far from the historic town of Thame and with easy access from the M40, and we do find that this appeals to many people whether here for a conference, a wedding, or simply for a weekend to escape from it all.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed over-night on our way back from holiday. We had earlier visited Blenheim Palace and had a little difficulty finding the hotel - watch out for road works on the M40! The hotel was welcoming and we had a large room with a comfortable bed. Our nights sleep was disturbed by a group of guests returning to their rooms after midnight and talking loudly in the corridoor for what seemed like an eternity - nearly had to get up and ask them to move on! We enjoyed a reasonable meal in the restaurant which was only spoilt by a lady sitting at a nearby table who talked very loudly and shared with all and sundry her recent life story! However, £126 for DB&B can't be bad although paying £4.50 for a bottle of water was bad judgement on our behalf, should have asked for tap water!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Richard W,
I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your overnight stay and hope you had a good holiday also. Thank you for you comments and we hope to be able to welcome you back again, perhaps when you're en route somewhere else!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I went to the Belfry on Saturday 7th September with a friend as a get away together and chose it as it was halfway between us (London and Warwick). We were escaping kids for the weekend and having some 'me' time. We did the deal that included lunch, dinner and breakfast and 2 half hour treatments and a bottle of fizz in the room.

The room was basic but comfortable although the bathroom could have been a bit nicer and the shower pressure was very poor.

Our treatments were good although I was rushed through my massage in 25 minutes and not 30 as it was supposed to be. Also the spa facilities were small and there were no spare seats to relax round the pool and the pool itself was full of kids. The steam room was not steamy and smelt of damp dish cloth.

We also asked for a robe as our treatments were at 1:30 and 6pm and we wanted to go to the room in between but we were told our package wasn't allowed one??? There were no robes in the room either which was odd.

The meal was great and very tasty and the staff attentive and helpful and we enjoyed a few cocktails and some great wine. There was a wedding going on so the hotel was very busy.
It was convenient and good value but not luxurious and as I have said could be improved with a few small changes and attention to detail.

The staff were brilliant though and it was good value. More 3 than 4 star though.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear ZoeeFreeman,
Thanks for your feed back; I'm pleased that you and your friend enjoyed your overnight escape and were able to take advantage of our great value spa breaks. Just a couple of things I'd like to clarify if that's ok? Robes are provided in our superior rooms and suites, but should have been available to you in the Spa. Treatment times include consultation and dressing, so actual treatments are 25 minutes for a 30 minute booking. Lastly, we have specified children's swimming times so that our spa guests can avoid these times if they prefer. I hope this helps you and other readers when deciding on your destination for your next weekend escape!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Was a wedding guest, the organisation was great, weather held for an outside blessing in the courtyard. Staff were good. Food was good. However, the bathroom in our room was very tired (rotting skirting board, dirty tile grouting) which was a let down at the cost. Other rooms didn't seem as tired, but luck of the draw I suppose. But overall, a good wedding venue.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear EmmerD,
Thank you for your comments and I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and the wedding you attended. It is great when the weather holds and we can make the most of our lovely courtyard with gazebo for wedding ceremonies/blessings. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Lovely hotel, room nicely decorated, comfortable beds and nice linen - however attention to detail was missing somewhat! A lovely sized executive room overlooking the courtyard, but sadly it smelled a little of drains and was exceptionally hot with no air conditioning, and with no water provided in the room (with the exception of the mini bar) - a large bottle of still water was charged at over £4! Food was good, breakfast was especially so, and staff very attentive - but cleanliness of crockery was very poor. In places the hotel was looking very tired, and an array of empty glasses along the corridors and in the gardens remained uncollected. The hotel was missing porters and trolleys, so with long corridors carrying luggage was a challenge. Overall a nice stay, and I would stay again but for a 4 star hotel I would have expected higher standards.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear ExecTraveller2013,
Thank you for your comments and I'm pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry that you encountered a couple of things that let your stay down and I will discuss these with the appropriate managers. We hope to be able to welcome you back.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was there to attend anAGM. Fantastic business facilities plus ideal for a weekend break as the hotel facilities first class.Lots going on both locally and in surrounding area. A good mixture of clientele, from local organisation dinners on Friday and Saturday, wedding on Sunday.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
OBjwhite, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear HarryTaylor,
I agree entirely! Our facilities are suitable for business and pleasure and I am delighted that you enjoyed the time you spent with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here on Saturday night. The room was nice, although we were given a twin room instead of a double. We couldn't change it, either, so we had to push the beds together, which just isn't the same. The bed was comfy, but the room would have been far too hot had we not found the fan which had been hidden away.

The food in the bar area was very nice, which raised our expectations for the restaurant in the evening. I ordered the Sirloin steak with chips and it looked nice when it arrived. It had been cooked as I wanted it; medium rare, but the steak itself was terrible. It was chewy, full of stringy fat and, aside from all of that just wasn't tasty. It was very bland and simply wasn't worth the hassle of trying to cut into it - even with a steak knife - or chewing on it for a good thirty seconds before I could swallow. So I moved on to the chips. The raw chips. They seemed to have been cooked for about ten seconds before being put on my plate and were just horrible. Their score for this meal was a 0/10, it really was that bad.

It's a shame, because the staff are fantastic here, especially Deandro (Deonardo?) at the bar; very willing to help and all around seems to be a very nice guy. The lady at reception when we arrived was lovely as well and when we returned to check out the following day, she and her colleague were able to take the price of the steak off the bill, which was appreciated.

The hotel is very nice; spacious, modern and well-kept. There is a lovely courtyard to sit in and have drinks in the sun and the swimming pool looks very clean (I didn't get a chance to get in there, unfortunately).

Overall, I'll give this hotel a 6/10, but had the food been better - and if we hadn't found a half-empty bottle of water stuffed into the corner of the room - it would have scored better.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear CMP1985,
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to read that your dinner was a disappointment and have shared your comments with our Chef as it is unusual for us to have negative comments regarding our food. However, I am pleased to hear that you otherwise enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that you will return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Milton Common
#26 of 44 in Oxford
Hawkwell House Hotel
Hawkwell House Hotel
#18 of 44 in Oxford

Been to The Oxford Belfry? Share your experiences!