The Oxford Belfry
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
1,854 results
All reviewsq hotelsspa breaktennis courtsspa facilitiesbreakaway clubsteam roompark and ridereception staffboth nightsbar menubuffet stylecourse dinnerwalk in showerrestaurant staffwedding partylounge areanight break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Lovely hotel, room nicely decorated, comfortable beds and nice linen - however attention to detail was missing somewhat! A lovely sized executive room overlooking the courtyard, but sadly it smelled a little of drains and was exceptionally hot with no air conditioning, and with no water provided in the room (with the exception of the mini bar) - a large bottle of still water was charged at over £4! Food was good, breakfast was especially so, and staff very attentive - but cleanliness of crockery was very poor. In places the hotel was looking very tired, and an array of empty glasses along the corridors and in the gardens remained uncollected. The hotel was missing porters and trolleys, so with long corridors carrying luggage was a challenge. Overall a nice stay, and I would stay again but for a 4 star hotel I would have expected higher standards.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
OBjwhite, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear ExecTraveller2013,
Thank you for your comments and I'm pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry that you encountered a couple of things that let your stay down and I will discuss these with the appropriate managers. We hope to be able to welcome you back.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was there to attend anAGM. Fantastic business facilities plus ideal for a weekend break as the hotel facilities first class.Lots going on both locally and in surrounding area. A good mixture of clientele, from local organisation dinners on Friday and Saturday, wedding on Sunday.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
OBjwhite, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear HarryTaylor,
I agree entirely! Our facilities are suitable for business and pleasure and I am delighted that you enjoyed the time you spent with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here on Saturday night. The room was nice, although we were given a twin room instead of a double. We couldn't change it, either, so we had to push the beds together, which just isn't the same. The bed was comfy, but the room would have been far too hot had we not found the fan which had been hidden away.

The food in the bar area was very nice, which raised our expectations for the restaurant in the evening. I ordered the Sirloin steak with chips and it looked nice when it arrived. It had been cooked as I wanted it; medium rare, but the steak itself was terrible. It was chewy, full of stringy fat and, aside from all of that just wasn't tasty. It was very bland and simply wasn't worth the hassle of trying to cut into it - even with a steak knife - or chewing on it for a good thirty seconds before I could swallow. So I moved on to the chips. The raw chips. They seemed to have been cooked for about ten seconds before being put on my plate and were just horrible. Their score for this meal was a 0/10, it really was that bad.

It's a shame, because the staff are fantastic here, especially Deandro (Deonardo?) at the bar; very willing to help and all around seems to be a very nice guy. The lady at reception when we arrived was lovely as well and when we returned to check out the following day, she and her colleague were able to take the price of the steak off the bill, which was appreciated.

The hotel is very nice; spacious, modern and well-kept. There is a lovely courtyard to sit in and have drinks in the sun and the swimming pool looks very clean (I didn't get a chance to get in there, unfortunately).

Overall, I'll give this hotel a 6/10, but had the food been better - and if we hadn't found a half-empty bottle of water stuffed into the corner of the room - it would have scored better.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear CMP1985,
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to read that your dinner was a disappointment and have shared your comments with our Chef as it is unusual for us to have negative comments regarding our food. However, I am pleased to hear that you otherwise enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that you will return.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Overall we enjoyed our stay in a superior twin room, but I feel the bedroom far too hot ( no air- con ) also the shower wasn't powerful enough to completely rinse my hair. The staff on reception were very polite and mostly all the staff were good. I also had a spa treatment which that was great..
I would definitely stay in a De Vere hotel again.. Location very handy for Oxford or Bicester shopping....

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kenty23,
Glad you enjoyed your stay and got some retail therapy in! I must point out though that The Oxford Belfry belongs to QHotels (not De Vere) - oops!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed for three nights with our 9 year old son, aunt and cousin. When booking I requested adjoining rooms close to a lift and this was exactly what we were allocated. All the staff were helpful and gave the impression that nothing was too much trouble for them. We had dinner in the restaurant each evening and felt the choice and quality were very good and value for money. We are looking forward to future visits to this hotel. The exterior could be discouraging to some, but once you've entered the hotel, and found the central courtyard & garden you should find the hotel a lovely haven.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GregMB

Dear GregMB,
I am pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and were well looked after and delighted that you are hoping to return again in the future. Perhaps you would like to consider joining our Breakaway Club which offers special deals and rewards for loyalty?