“Don't choose boiled eggs for breakfast !”
Review of The Oxford Belfry

The Oxford Belfry
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Milton Common
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed here as a stop-over on the way to Southampton, & also because we were taking advantage of a good-value special offer. When we arrived reception was very busy but they did have 3 staff manning it so the wait wasn't too long. We'd booked an accessible room & were given the option of steps or a ramped way to get there we chose the ramp. However it was far too far for us (both walking disabled).When I booked the room I asked if it would be far to walk & was given the impression that the person booking our room didn't actually know the lay-out of the hotel!! There were long corridors, a bit like a rabbit warren. Our room was smaller than other Q hotels rooms we've had, it was clean but I did notice a patch of wallpaper peeling away. The bathroom was spacious but only had an over-bath shower, no good for us. A pity they hadn't used the wasted space to install a free-standing shower.There was a good outlook over the courtyard & gardens & although we had our windows open we didn't suffer from outside noise. There was a good dinner menu & the food was most enjoyable, however the restaurant seemed to be frenetic, there were lots of staff (which did mean good service) all moving about quickly & the floor, despite carpets, was very noisy. Maybe our table which was near the reception & the kitchen exit door wasn't in the best of positions, but it certainly wasn't a restful meal. We took our coffee in the bar where the staff were also friendly & we watched cocktails being made. The breakfast had the usual big hot-counter choice but we opted for boiled eggs - a mistake! The chef obviously didn't know how to cook them, we were offered no egg-cups or small spoons & by the time some small pots (the waitress admitted they had no egg-cups) were found the eggs were rock- hard. I certainly wouldn't recommend this hotel if you're looking for peace & quiet & I don't think we shall stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
OBjwhite, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear purpleofeastwood,
I am sorry that you didn't find your stay as peaceful as you had hoped. Although we are quite a large, busy hotel, we do have quiet corners both in the hotel and especially in the grounds where our guests can escape to if they like to be quieter and I regret that we were not able to help you more in this regard.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at this Hotel in the last nine months and, again, cannot praise it enough. I said before that the staff are a credit to the Manager and that hasn't changed and they certainly are - all of them. All the staff we came across were well-mannered, happy and extremely helpful and nothing was ever too much trouble for them. The rooms are huge, clean and very comfortable, especially the beds. The views from the back of the hotel are breathtaking. The restaurant and food is lovely and at breakfast there is so much to choose from and all fresh and hot.The Spa is small but this makes it more intimate but even on a busy weekend, it was not packed and we spent most of one day in the spa in between treatments. The therapists are young but know what they are doing and we had a lovely massage and facial. This hotel really is lovely and we would definitely stay there again, without hesitation. Thank you all at the Oxford Belfry for making our stay such a good one.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are very quiet and have fantastic views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Great to hear from you again, Mandy J, and as ever, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you so much for your super review and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed here with a few business colleagues in May on an overnight spa/dinner break. The lobby and main hotel areas are clean and airy and the rooms are clean. However the service in the restaurant was slow (we had to ask for more drinks and for coffee). The spa is very small with a tatty pool and that's about it. There is no chill out area and they didn't even have anything to read in the waiting area. I wouldn't call it a spa myself, rather a gym with a pool and a few treatment rooms.

It's a shame as this place used to have a good reputation but it isn't quite living up to its 4 star rating.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TheRudd

Dear The Rudd,
Yes, we have a hotel with a spa rather than a dedicated spa facility, but many of our guests tell us that we offer great value spa packages in comparison. I am sorry that you felt that we did not meet your expectations and thank you for your comments.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here for one night as it was easy to get out on the motorway to head in any direction
The rooms were very comfortable and the breakfast was very good. The service at this hotel was very efficient and friendly
We also ate at the restaurant that night which was delicious
The gym was well equipped and clean
Would recommend this hotel to all travellers

Dear Sandy897,
Thank you for your feed back; I'm delighted that your enjoyed a successful stay with us. We are indeed excellently located to go in any direction! We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Picture this: you've booked a room, quite some time in advance, for the purposes of sleeping after attending a nearby wedding. You arrive really tired but reassured from an earlier phone call to the hotel to check that arriving at close to midnight wasn't going to be a problem.

You check in and the first "problem" was the pronouncement from the night duty person (it said manager on the badge but it might have been deputy manager) that American Express attracts an additional 3.5% charge! Now I know that AmEx charges retailers more than other credit card brands but (a) most retailers absorb that difference out of deference to their customers and (b) wouldn't it have been better customer service if QHotels had happened to mention this beforehand, perhaps in the email they sent me confirming my room booking?

The second "problem" was getting to our room, number 362. We were given some vague directions of left, right, go up in the lift, etc. It must have taken us about 10 minutes to find our room! Most hotels have lifts near to Reception so it was quite concerning to find ourselves walking so far away from Reception until we found the lift ... but we followed the signs and, of course, they are NEVER wrong, are they? The next morning, we went down the stairs near our room and found ourselves a LOT closer to Reception than using the lift had taken us.

The third and worse problem was the room itself. My email confirmation clearly shows that I had booked a double room, but number 362 is a twin room. Unfortunately, given the late hour, how tired we were and how far we'd had to walk from Reception, there was no way we were going to trek back to the surly sod who'd checked us in just so that we could get a double bed like I'd asked for in the first place.

Fourth problem: every time you used the water in the bathroom, there was a DREADFUL noise, like a jet engine starting up.

On the plus side, breakfast was reasonable. Lots of choice, although it would have been better to see skimmed milk, although very few hotels seem to offer that.

On check-out, I was asked if we had a good stay and I mentioned that we'd been put into a twin room instead of a double and all I got was "Oh, I'm sorry about that". Not really good enough.

Not somewhere I will be staying again, and if the rest of the QHotel chain is anything like this, I won't be staying at any of their other hotels either.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 362!
1  Thank PColmer

Dear PColmer,
Thank you for your comments; I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

There were seven of us including three children in two rooms. Hubby and I had a standard room and sis and family had a suite. How jealous were we when we saw the suite - our own fault for not upgrading but then the standard room was perfectly nice and had everything we needed, except for a laptop sized safe.

Our room was clean, quiet and spacious. I particularly liked the bathroom which had a bath with shower attachment AND a walk in shower. (Sis had a jacuzzi in one of her two bathrooms). I liked the iron and ironing board cleverly hidden away - more use than a trouser press, not that we needed either. I liked the corner vanity unit with plugs, perfect for straightening my hair. The bed was very comfortable and the room was just the right temperature.

I didn't use the leisure facilities - I was going to go swimming but my nieces said the pool was smaller than other Q Hotels we've been to and it required a 6:30am start. I had a cold and was feeling a bit sorry for myself so I decided that my comfy bed would win that decision!

One of my favourite things about all the Q Hotels I've stayed in is the WiFi. It is incredibly easy to use, it's fast and it's free. This alone would make me choose a Q Hotel. We were on a Breakaway deal and I thought it was good value for the price we paid.

We ate out in the evenings so I can't comment on the restaurant apart from the breakfast which was excellent. There was always plenty of choice and no waiting while items were replenished.

And finally, the staff were all very pleasant and helpful. This is a pretty hotel with pleasant indoor and outdoor seating areas and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jazzmonster
OBjwhite, General Manager at The Oxford Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear jazzmonster,
I'm delighted that you and your family had an enjoyable stay, thank you for your comments. As a hotel group, we are proud to offer free WiFi throughout the hotels - as you say, it is a great facility. We hope to be able to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Comfortable countryside hotel with good amenities for business use. Close proximity to Oxford, easy access to motorway M40 junction 8/8a nearby with service station Waitrose supermarket for emergency purchases. Use Haddenham and Thame station for train to London Marylebone (40 mins approx.). Use Thornhill park & ride to Oxford or X90 coach service to London Marble Arch (1hr 15mins approx., wifi on coach, £17 return adult, free car park for up to 11 hours, overnight charge).

Standard room adequate for short stays. Good wifi but no room safe for laptop. Bed v. comfortable. Room light, airy and reasonably spacious. Pool/leisure/gym clean and well equipped. Bar meals pricey but otherwise OK. Hotel bursting full when I stayed with guests, wedding party, touring Australian cricket team (!), Japanese tourist coach party, and evening event school prom of 200+ so some pressure on staff and catering. Nonetheless, service reasonable. Breakfast buffet replenished frequently. Reception staff knowledgeable with directions, information and assistance. Friendly and helpful at al times with no wait on check-in/out. As a lone female traveller, I felt safe and welcome at all times, in and around the Belfry.

A better choice than the stuffy, over-priced, dreadful service, `couldn't care less' reception and utterly lousy breakfast at `The Oxfordshire golf hotel and spa' just down the road. Have stayed at both and the Belfry wins on all counts. My fourth stay here on business. Will return again.

Room Tip: Standard rooms adequate for most use, reasonably spacious but no room safe.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank keeletraveller247

Dear keeletraveller247,
I couldn't have put the transport connections better myself! Thank you so much for your helpful comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Milton Common
Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford
Ramada Oxford
Ramada Oxford
#25 of 44 in Oxford

Been to The Oxford Belfry? Share your experiences!