“Excellent service and all round venue, highly recommended”

The Oxfordshire Golf Club & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Milton Common
England
“Excellent service and all round venue, highly recommended”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We booked a function room for a private birthday function with a meal. Prior to booking we had attended and researched other local venues and was immediately impressed but our first impressions when we first attended to look at the options at the Hotel. Once booked, as you can imagine there were a number of phone calls/emails / requests / questions and throughout all that time the staff were excellent and patient. On the day it went like clock work and all the staff were very attentive, friendly and professional. Food was excellent and the variety catered for all tastes. Living local i always had the impression that perhaps this venue was rather stuffy and univiting and this perception could not have been further from the truth. Everything was done by the staff to ensure that the day went smoothly and was in keeping with a "Special Birthday Lunch". Highly recommended. This review is based on a lunch in a private function room and on this occasion we did not stay in the Hotel. We hope to return for other lunches based on the quality we experienced.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MKEL09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I've just returned from staying for two nights, our package included afternoon tea on the first day and dinner on the second night.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here, but there are several areas that could be improved (such as the spa) or can't be improved since they are what they are (it's a golf club, then everything else). The outside looks really drab, and a lot of the general use areas look tired - the carpets especially. The Lounge bar & Sakura could do with an update IMO to make them more modern.

We chose the visit the spa on arrival. Check-in is at 2, but our appointments were at 12.45 so we left the bags in the car - it's not a long walk at all, and they do have a luggage check in if you would rather do that.

The Spa is in the basement, basically. It's dark, small and whilst nice enough - looks quite new - it's nothing special. The staff were lovely and I had a good full-body massage, but it's NOT what I would call a 'Spa' hotel, nor would I stay for a 'Spa Break'. There's a small pool & jacuzzi, with a sauna and steam room too, but again, nothing special - my gym has these things (...and the pool is bigger there, but perhaps I'm spoilt in that regard!)

The bedrooms - these are lovely and well appointed. A really big bed - super king? king? - big tv, desk, wardrobes and drawers etc. Shower and bath in a good sized ensuite. Amenities don't include bubble bath, though you can pick up some extra shower gel from reception if you want. There's Twinnings Everyday Tea and Cranberry & Raspberry Tea for the kettle, as well as bottled water (still & sparkling) coffee (normal & decaf) & hot chocolate (options, belgian hot chocolate), plus little packets of cookies in the room. I thought that was a nice touch, since usually it's just tea and coffee.
There were scratches in the walls where something had ripped along them, and screws under the bed. Didn't really affect us, but a shame nonetheless.

Afternoon Tea (in the Lounge) - Nice sandwiches, with a selection cheese & tomato, egg mayo, salmon & cream cheese (I think) and ham (with something I couldn't name.) Scones were tiny and a little over cooked - plenty of clotted cream though. There was also lemon cake and chocolate cream eclairs, which were tasty. Towards the end, as we were leaving in fact, tiny ice-creams arrived! Bit random, but really nice ice cream. I think a little menu would of been nice, so you knew exactly what you were eating (what was with the ham?) and that the ice-cream was coming.

Breakfast - there's a buffet hot breakfast available as well as a vague continental. I say vague, since there is no cheese, bread or ham - there's plain croissants, yogurt (greek & natural, in bowls), muselli, cereals and fruits. I imagine you could ask for bread though, since they offer toast as well as tea & coffee when you are seated.
The 'hot' breakfast was... OK. It was lukewarm when I had it - if you're gonna do a buffet for goodness sake keep it hot! But I just ate it faster - hard to beat bacon & eggs in the morning! But the temperature let it down for me. My OH didn't seem to mind so much, so maybe I just picked badly!

Dinner (Sakura) - As part of our package, we received a 3-course meal from a set menu. Even for a set menu, the choice was limited in the main course - I would of liked a chicken or non-nut option as well, really.
To start it was pate, soup, squid or salad.
For main, it was pork, beef, vegetarian (with nuts!), or salmon.
Dessert was a choice of lemon tart, bread & butter pudding, chocolate mousse.. and something else.
The soup was far too hot, the beef was lovely & melted in the mouth but came with 3 tiny carrots & luke-warm mash. The bread & butter pudding was a bit bland (supposedly there was marmalade in it, somewhere?) and a bit sparse on the raisins, but good.

Views... There are some lovely views available, we had a great one when seated in Sakura for dinner. But as for room views... we stayed in 303 - I think was the sewage tanks outside? and the spa roof. Not so much for the views, that room ;)

Room Tip: Don't stay in 303 or any on that side - sewage tank views...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LuciLu12
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Had a fantastic stay her with my husband.it was a real treat,room was lovely,and very clean,only slight niggle and a very minor one,one of the bed side lamps did not work.pool area nice relaxing and quiet.did not eat at the hotel so cannot comment on food,however as others have stated bar drinks are a bit over priced.but there are some lovely pubs locally (Thame) Oxford is not to far away (a park and ride is just a short drive) all in all a great experience.we will be back.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Mish45
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Very good service was really amazing would defiantly recommend to everyone lovely lunch for nans 80th very friendly staff that were well presented and happy to help had a really lovely day thank you very much

• Stayed March 2014
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2014

A lovely hotel but had a little bit of a bad experience there. When we first arrived at the Oxfordshire I was very happy with the facilities of the spa which I used first - it was clean and nice. I went to check in at 1.45pm (check in was at 2) and the room still wasn't ready, so I sat in the cafe with friends. At 2.30 the room I was supposed to be in still wasn't ready, but luckily the lovely receptionist recognised I'd be waiting and sent me to an alternative room. The rooms were gorgeous- spacious, clean and beautifully decorated.

However at night time I attended a meal of 30 people which was in one word horrendous. Firstly, the starter which arrived for me was cold, a freezing cold poached egg on a salad which (even though I requested without dressing) had clearly just had the dressing scraped off. The main was also not hot, I ate a couple of roast potatoes and that was it because the lamb was all fat and was inedible. It was the worst meal I think I've had in a while. There were only two members of staff serving a party of 30, which made the service very slow, and although one member was lovely there was a particular member of staff who was very rude and miserable. She didn't want to do anything she was politely asked to do and everything seemed too much trouble.

I feel the need to complain about this because it is such a shame about the food and service from that particular member of staff- as all the other staff were lovely, and breakfast was nice and fresh. It seemed that the meal for 30 had been pre cooked days before as it was absolutely disgusting and most of us didn't eat our meals.

All in all, the rooms were really nice and we had a pleasant sleep and stay, and the reception staff were so friendly. It was just a shame about the other things.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank cfjx92
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2014

All was good about this hotel. Clean modern rooms
polite professional staff
quiet location
reasonable value
beds comfortable without being soft and spongy. I am a light sleeper so quiet is very important, but didn't hear a thing all night

Room Tip: Book well in advance
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Stayed here with my girlfriend for a wedding at nearby Notley Abbey.

I've given it 4 out of 5, which is probably a tad harsh, as it certainly ranks as one of the more finer places we've stayed. It loses a mark however, harshly perhaps - but with some justification, for making us change in the gym changing rooms when we arrived at midday - check-in was at 2pm, the wedding was at 2.

Having driven from London that morning we were still to get ready, some other guests who did the same as us were allocated their rooms, we weren't however. I get that our room 'wasn't ready' but it's marginally annoying being made to dress in a changing room. And yes, I also get it could be our fault for not stating this when booking. But you like adaptability too!

The staff were accommodating in agreeing to take our heavy bags up to our room in advance of our weary return some 12 hours later..!! Fair play.

Rooms were spacious, bed was huge - and comfortable. Bathroom excellent and lovely view on the balcony overlooking the golf course. A shame I didn't get to use the golf course- looked immense. Breakfast also of good quality and a worthy mention. Staff polite and helpful.

Didn't do the spa either - as you can't rate 'didn't do', I've unhelpfully guessed (based on pics and general hotel ambiance)!

All in all, very pleasant - and a well presented place. Would reconsider staying here again if I'm on a lads golfing trip or back in the area for a wedding.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ramada Oxford
Ramada Oxford
#25 of 44 in Oxford

Been to The Oxfordshire Golf Club & Hotel? Share your experiences!