“pretentious food from Emily [---] at the Kingham Plough”
Review of The Kingham Plough

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kingham
The Kingham Plough
Ranked #3 of 5 Kingham B&B and Inns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“pretentious food from Emily [---] at the Kingham Plough”
Reviewed September 17, 2010

We were disappointed again last night with a pretentious supper at the Kingham Plough. It's easy to write a menu sounding appetising & appealing; it's another skill set entirely to replicate & produce quality deconstructed cuisine with finesse & structure. We live locally & have eaten here on a number of occasions & sadly this is not the first time I have pointed out menu discrepancies & appallingly cooked food. After an absence of 5 months, sufficient time had past from the cotton wool textured haunch of venison for us to venture back. The staff under the guidance of Dan are unfailingly polite & courteous; last night was no exception - We started with the Wild Salmon & smoked Eel - £7 - with beetroot & chard was miniscule. The smoked Eel, small, wafer thin & watery was it worth the mention on the menu? A key ingredient to this dish was absent & the final result suffered; the two slices of bread to accompany although delicious were mean in size & we wanted for more. Next up 'Loin of Pork with hot apple jelly' - £18 - cooked just this side of acceptable accompanied by Mr Drinkwaters delicious pencil sized carrot & a postage stamp of pressed Maris piper potatoes. We sent out a search party for the hot apple jelly & although these last ingredients are not expensive; being so mean in their offering again we wanted for more & finished the pork on it own. Noting how exciting the pudding offering can be at the Plough we pre ordered ours - the last Chocolate Fondant - £6 - & a Fig Tart - £7 - the fondant looked & I am told tasted fabulous - the tart looked like a flat oblong of thin cardboard with semi dried fig slices resting on top! the ice was well ice-cream. This to my mind was not a tart by any stretch of the imagination! Tart - 'pie or flan with sweet filing' - On tasting it was tired, dry & had little quality; the fig so chewy it made no attempt to meld with the pastry. This concoction was a slice of pastry dreamt up & conveyed by Chinese whispers. Enough is enough I say. The restaurant was less than a third full; a Thursday evening it should be busy & bustling! I suspect the good folk of OX7 have like us been let down, our expectations dashed too many times to warrant a return to this pretentious establishment. I mentioned all this to the staff, paid in full though they suggested they remove the tart from the bill, I was having none of it. £86.75 for a diabolical attempt at modern British food. No thanks we will stay at home next time. With chefs of this caliber it's easy to do better at home; after all having spent 20yrs in the industry I should know better!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
13 Thank saltnpepperchef

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
UK
Reviewed August 14, 2010

We stayed one night at the Plough in Kingham, and had a very nice stay. The room appeared newly refurbished, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom very nice.Staff were friendly and efficient, and more than wiling to answer my many questions about how the food was made. There was a lot of attention to detail as well - CD library, bottled water and home made biscuits with the wide variety of teas in the room, information about things to do in the area and a breakfast menu also in the room so we knew that my eggs benedict for the following morning had to be ordered in advance. We ate in the restaurant and had the tasting menu, so the chef admittedly had the chance to show off, and the food was superb. She used to work in the Fat Duck in Bray, and a lot of the style and techniques came to Kingham with her, and the food was outstanding. And good value for money for the six courses we had. And everything is made on the premises from the chocolates that came with coffee, to the bread and even the bacon. The meat was superb and all the food is sourced locally. Breakfast was also excellent, if a little slow in coming. My only criticism is that the flowers in the bedroom are artificial, but it's a small point in an otherwise excellent place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Cambs
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We stayed in the small but perfectly formed annexe room and loved it. Ate in the evening and the food was gorgeous and interesting; fabulous breakfast. Charming and informal service but clearly a hard-working kitchen.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zeebe
London
Reviewed February 8, 2010

I booked The Plough based on a recommendation from the ex-owner of The White Hart in Moreton-in-marsh.

Following AA Gill's review I knew I'd picked the right place.

The food is excellent, the service is very very good and the bedrooms good too.

I'd happily recommend this place to anyone who was interested.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed October 11, 2009

My fiancee and I have just returned from the Kingham Plough - we had a great night away, a very tasty dinner and breakfast and we really enjoyed our stay overall.

Dinner is not cheap, but was well, well worth it. We found one of the most difficult parts of the weekend was choosing what to order!

The hotel is in a great spot across from a village green and the staff are so friendly. The room we stayed in (in the annexe) was reasonably small, but absolutely fine.

All in all it's a very relaxed feel and a lovely place to spend a night or two - and unrecognisable from the one described by a lot of the other reviewers here which we find a bit puzzling!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Europe_traveller_7
Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed October 10, 2009

My partner and I have just returned from a holiday in the Cotswolds. We had seen the Kingham Plough on the internet and although it looked expensive, we thought we'd give it a try on the first night of our holiday as we didn't feel like cooking. We arrived at the Plough shortly before the advertised end of dinner service (we arrived at 8.40, they advertise dinner until 8.45) but decided we were probably a bit close to the deadline, so instead decided to try the bar snacks menu, which was advertised as being available until 9.30pm. We both decided to try the Cotswold Rarebit (presumably 'posh' cheese on toast) which was over £3.25 or £3.50. However, we were told quite bluntly that the 'kitchen staff were far too busy'. There was no apology and no suggestion that they might be able to serve us if we decided to wait. We left and instead went to the Tollgate Inn, just down the road, where the ambience, the staff and the food were all excellent.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YorkshireTraveller03
Oxon
Reviewed September 29, 2009

We have been to the Kingham Plough several times to eat - we live locally so have no need to stay. The food is always unusual and normally very good. We went for our wedding anniversary last week and I must say that it was a little disappointing. The menu is limited and we've come to expect that, but they are taking the cooking everything in a bain marie just too far. There is a card on the table warning that steak will look rare and won't be very hot and it wasn't wrong. I can't see what the problem is with the old fashioned way of cooking a steak. My husband likes his steak to be medium rare, but at least hot.
The choice of dessert was very limited - only 3, one of which was chocolate which we don't care for. The other was rice with damson soup which was very nice, but the other one was something with popcorn and it just didn't appeal at all.
It would be a shame if the Kingham Plough becomes too weird to try again. If I want a good steak in the future I'll buy a good piece of fillet from Foxbury Farm and cook it myself.
As an aside, the staff were very good. One lady in the restaurant on the same evening found a metal staple in her steak so I guess were we lucky - what a health and safety nightmare that could have been if she'd swallowed it!

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SpaldingOxon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingham
Lords of the Manor Hotel
#2 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh
The Old Stocks Inn
The Old Stocks Inn
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to The Kingham Plough? Share your experiences!