“What a wonderful weekend retreat!”
Review of Mill House Hotel

Mill House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Kingham B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“What a wonderful weekend retreat!”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We returned for another wonderful few days of relaxation and rest to this charming characteristic Cotswold hotel. The setting and surrounding grounds and fast flowing stream were idyillic, Pimms on the patio, Baileys on ice for a night cap, nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The food was lovely, I do like my food served on a hot plate and the service was warm and efficient. We visited Daylesford Farm, Burford and Bibury, there are so many stunning places within easy reach of this hotel. Both my wife and I would highly recommend a visit. For us it was a trip down memory lane.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Millhousesales, Owner at Mill House Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Very many thanks for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed such a relaxing stay at the Mill House. We do hope you will visit again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
london
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I went to the Mill House Hotel, on the 18th August.2012
It was a delighful setting and very quiet, the country air exhilerating and the night sky was breath taking, I have never seen so many stars shining so clearly and so brightly.
The hotel is set in delightful surroundings and the hanging basket some of the biggest I have seen.
We used the hotel as a base as we were visiting friends and family in the area. The peace and tranquility in the Cotswolds is second to none.

Room Tip: we were in room 18 which was in the original building, our son and his wife were in room 24 which wa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Millhousesales, Owner at Mill House Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We are thrilled that you had such a relaxing stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mill House again.
Calne
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The hotel phoned us a week before arrival, to check the booking and to see if we wanted to book a table in the restaurant. It sounds from other reviews like the food is the speciality of the hotel - when we arrived at 5:15 we were told that bookings for the restaurant closed at 5:30, so booking in advance is probably recommended if you do plan to eat there.

Our room was on the first floor directly above an entrance to the kitchen - this was not ideal as it was one of the few hot days of the summer so we had to keep the windows open and the kitchen door was also open, with staff coming out to take breaks directly below our window. Although they were not noisy, this did mean we did not have much sense of privacy. This room (number 9) may be one only used when the hotel was full (as it was on this occasion, we did ask if there was another one free) as the room is at the end of a corridor labelled rooms 3-8.

The lighting in the room was via small side lights, which meant it was not possible to read in the evening. There was no room information card - so we had to ring reception to ask when breakfast was the next morning. The decor could do with some updating.

We did not eat dinner in the hotel - breakfast the following morning was excellent, a wide selection of fruit, cereal etc. Mr H enjoyed a large chocolate croissant and cooked breakfast, I had yoghurt and porridge.

Lots of things to do in the area, in the middle of the Cotswolds. We went to Bourton on the Water, and had dinner in the outside area of the Croft Restaurant, which I would recommend.

Room Tip: Avoid room 9 in warm weather - directly above entrance to kitchen
Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mrs_CJH
Many thanks for your review. I'm sorry to hear that you felt a lack of privacy during your stay and that you didn't feel the lighting in the room was adequate enough.
Each room has a comprehensive room browser so I am surprised to hear that you couldn't locate it on your visit. I asked Housekeeping to check and the room browser is available in room 9.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast. Many thanks for your kind comments.
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I had my wedding there in 2009. Only just realised I never left a review.
We had the wedding package that we have the whole hotel to ourselves from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning. It was an amazing deal and all my guests are still saying it was the best wedding they have been.
Service was good, food was amazing, atmosphere was romantic.
We went back there for anniversary again the next year.
The only thing is that shower doesn't seem to work and water was only dripping out of the shower head. Sometimes it's just not powerful but you can live with it, but next morning there was a few drips and you can't really shower. Not sure if it's because everyone was using it at the same time. But as I was going on honeymoon so I was too excited to worry about it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank JLoJB
Millhousesales, Owner at Mill House Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review after this time. We are delighted to hear that you have such fond memories of your Wedding day at the Mill House and we do hope you will continue to return and celebrate your Wedding Anniversary with us for years to come.
West Scotland
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Stayed two nights on KGB deal. Nice rural quiet location with plenty of space for dogs to exercise. Well received at reception by a south african gent. Well mannered and took time with us to discuss our journey and hotel. Room wasold style coaching inn with creaking floor boards (as you find in these old inns) and bed was two singles pushed together - loud noise made when you turned though comfortable. Need more comfortable pillows. Room clean and acceptable though right over reception and could hear people early each morning.
Well received by breakfast staff who showed us to a table with real table cloth and real roses. Breakfast was very good and very filling, good service and quality products. Rated breakfast as the 3rd best I have had over many years going to hotels.
Pleasant checkout experience with friendly receptionist.
Only poor point was I had to ask 3 times by phone and e mail for reservation confirmation which did annoy me as I was travelling nearly 4oo miles to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ensure not in room 1 or 2 over recption.
1 Thank highteas
Millhousesales, Owner at Mill House Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We take all comments on board so it is most helpful to hear your thoughts. I am sorry that you had to chase for your confirmation, this certainly should not be the case so I can only apologise that you had to do this.
To be ranked 3rd on your list of Hotel Breakfasts is an achievement that we are very proud of - I shall pass this on to the Chef. Many thanks indeed.
Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights in July. A very relaxing part of the world, and a lovely hotel. The food was excellent throughout. The chef puts together new menus daily from fresh, local ingredients, and I'm sure we'll stay again!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank bjdavies1981
Many thanks for your review. I'm glad to hear that you had a relaxing break at the Mill House and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My partner and I had a lovely stay at the Mill House Hotel until we encountered a number of customer service failures.

1) We asked if it was possible to have a slightly later check-out (as we wanted to stay until we had finished lunch). This standard question for a hotel seemed to make the receptionist very flustered. She even continued to say that the cleaners could come in but just leave our suitcases (which was not the point as we wanted to shower, etc. before we left. When the question wasn't answered I had to ask again. She then said that we should assume it is okay unless she contacts us. I asked how she intended on contacting us as we were going for a walk. She realised this was not a solution. We ended up walking off unsure as to whether we were able to have a late check out despite asking twice.

2) When we were trying to pay, we were stood at the reception. We said that we would like to check out and pay our bill. We were then sidetracked as a 'Mr Williams' wanted to pay his bill (even though he wasn't standing at the reception waiting like we were). Clearly this person was far more important than us as the receptionist actually stopped looking at our bill to fast track his through! Then we were interrogated as to what drinks/food we had ordered. Clearly, there needs to be a better system for dealing with this. Perhaps an idea would be to get people to sign their bill (if it is then going to be put onto their room). This would be an appropriate way for people to confirm they had ordered what they would later be billed for. Checking out then was an absolute mess and took far too much time. We were presented with a number but no breakdown of what we had been charged for. We were not convinced this was correct but paid as we had to leave to get a train.

3) Once on the train we were quite surprised that we had not been given a breakdown of the various items which were on our bill. We have never been to a hotel where this is the case. We then called the hotel to ask them to post us the breakdown of our bill as this is a legal obligation and we were quite curious about what we had ended up paying for. We were told that one would be sent to us in the post. That was on the 15th July!

So, in conclusion, the hotel was nice for the price and the food was amazing. I have pondered about whether this then deserves a review of 'terrible' but I believe the way that customers are treated goes a lot towards how you'd rate an experience. We were disgusted by the 'terrible' way we were treated and because of this we would not return so it does deserve the 'overall rating'.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Holiday_Junkie222
All guest feedback, both positive and negative is valued by us and we always take action to correct any shortcomings.

You commented in your review that "The Hotel was nice for the price and the food was amazing". I am sorry that your overall experience was let down on check out.

I understand that the receptionist explained to you that it was her first day at the Mill House and that she would find out if it would be possible for the normal 11:00am check out to be extended to 1:00pm for you, which she did, and then managed to locate you to confirm this extension.

Unfortunately your later check out coincided with a busy Sunday lunch service and the trainee receptionist was part way through processing a bill requesting by another customer in the Restaurant.

We apologised for the delay this caused and a fully itemised bill was later forwarded to you.

We consider that your overall rating of the hotel as 'Terrible' is not warranted as a result of an unfortunate experience at check out.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingham
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#1 of 1 in Shipton under Wychwood
The Old Stocks Inn
The Old Stocks Inn
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Mill House Hotel? Share your experiences!