“Reviewing the Plough as a restaurant”

The Kingham Plough Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Kingham Plough Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Kingham
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: In 2007 Executive chef Emily Watkins and her husband, Miles Lampson, opened The Kingham Plough, a quintessential Cotswold Inn and award winning restaurant. Their aim was to create somewhere that they themselves would like to visit; excellent modern British and comfortable rooms set within a warm and relaxed environment. The food quickly gained critical acclaim and has been awarded numerous accolades including the prestigious third AA Rosette, awarded in 2015. The Kingham Plough regularly features in the UKs Top 100 Restaurants and Top 50 Gastropubs and with six beautiful, individually decorated en-suite bedrooms it is the perfect place for a Cotswold getaway.
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Kingham Plough has managed to get listed separately as a Restaurant, and also as an Inn/B&B. The experience of each half was VERY different, so I've reviewed it twice, for each purpose.

The food.... Excellent ! Creative, a little pretentious, but so are most of the customers. Seriously, its good. The small and restricted menu is prepared and dated for each day... Yet didn't change. We ate two nights in a row, I (with wide tastes) struggled to find a second starter I wanted (of four options) so had the crispy ducks egg again... very good, but would have liked more choice.

The wine was good, not cheap, but good.

The atmosphere relaxed with dogs in the restaurant.

The service, hmmm... not as good as the food... not enough staff, or they were hiding. Worst part, two nights in a row they tried to squeeze six of us around a table for four... not good.

Would I eat here again... ? Probably not.... because wild horse would not make me stay overnight there again...

Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

We came for a casual dinner for 4 humans and 1 dog. Let's cut to the chase and say that all 5 left very happy.
Started with scotch quail eggs with lovely runny yolks, moist sausage meat and crisp crumb. Then a pre starter selection of crumbed lamb shoulder (so tender), smoked venison and salami with condiments. I ordered the crisp duck egg which burst into a velvety rich yolk sauce to go with a rabbit terrine while the other half had a Guinness beef consommé with tempura oyster and braised ox cheek. Mine was good but his was gorgeous! The skirt steak to follow was lovely medium rare served with a rich bone marrow butter, salad, onion rings and chips that I still think of. Only thing I'd fault is the onion rings. Putting crumb on onion rings is criminal; I'm still a fan of buttermilk batter. The other half had a slow cooked pork belly and sausage which was delicious but he was checking out our friends' lamb Wellington and pronounce it even better. The dessert menu read "rhubarb and custard" but what arrived was far from my school days version. I won't spoil the surprise but it was lovely.
The meal was great value considering our bill included drinks and the service is friendly and top notch. One happy customer.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

The food here is a cut above your average gastro pub. The dishes are well cooked and served with style. My our only comment is that the service, although friendly was lacking any supervision. There was no visible manager in charge. We overheard people chatting who were saying that 2 staff called in sick...........yes this happens but as customers we paid with service that was friendly but we had to ask for quite a few things twice. Not a big deal as the food was very good indeed. I asked for extra onion rings when ordering and that was no problem at all. The lamb suet pudding was just gorgeous as well as the barley risotto. Other dishes of equal quality were the pumpkin soufflé and skirt steak. Overall an excellent meal
Price wise it is a little more than average but we felt it was well worth it. Next time we go I do hope that the service can nearly equal the food.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Call me crazy, but if I go to a nice restaurant I'm generally not going to count the pennies in my purse. So why do so many people complain about the cost of food when they go out? At the Kingham Plough, expect this; A mix of creative & classic, homemade, quality dishes, with (where possible) locally sourced, if not made on site products. The chef I spoke to was so passionate about these benchmarks, so who wouldn't pay a bit extra to experience this kind of cuisine. Too often,'gastro' food is actually mass produced rubbish, and here they have proved otherwise.

My advice to those penny-pinchers who won't pay another couple of quid for cheese sourced from local farmers? Stay at home with your Supermarket mild cheddar.

Reccommendations include Beef skirt and the homemade Sausage rolls from the bar menu (to die for) although do be prepared that the menu changes constantly. (Another result of fresh, local food).

1  Thank Jess S
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We went to the Kingham Plough for lunch during a weekend in the Cotswolds with friends as it was recommended by someone who knew the area quit well. We were really pleased with the overall experience, nice venue, professional and friendly staff and amazing food! I love their philosophy "traditional cooking with modern methods", the food is simply delicious and cooked to perfection.
We were served homemade bread with local butter, it was really nice. Some of us ordered the burger and we all agreed that it was the best burger we ever had! The meat was really tasty, the bun was homemade as well as the ketchup, beautiful! Some of us had the venison, which was superb as well. And then the deserts were amazingly good, too! All in all, this pub is a must if you visit the Cotswolds! We will go back definitely!