“Excellent quirky inn, lots of history”

Old Crown Coaching Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Faringdon
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
“Excellent quirky inn, lots of history”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed at the Old Crown in Faringdon for 6 days in June 2013. It's a great place, full of history, quirky nooks and crannies and spooky stories! The rooms are very comfortable, and in keeping with the style of the place, but with creature comforts added. It's a fab location, right in the heart of Faringdon, and I felt comfortable about parking in their car park, as it is at the rear of the building. I also noticed that there is a bus stop right at the front, so presume it has good connections this way too.
The staff were friendly and attentive, and helpful with local info. The food was lovely, I'd recommend eating there even if you are not staying, and the local pub crowd were friendly too.
A top-notch, one of a kind building with good food, drink and good service - what's not to love?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank crazycatlady1980

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Polish first
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

It started well, good parking, checked in (early). An old and interesting looking pub. The walk to the room was down a long corridor with many turns.
The room was clean although a little cramped,
The bathroom was very cramped with a certain facility uncomfortable to use both because the seat moved and lack of space for ones legs. The shower was difficult to turn on as the knob was missing, once on it seemed an equal amount of water was exiting from both ends of the hose, still it was powerful enough to wash in. I would say the bathroom was spotlessly clean but a bit tired.
The breakfast was very disappointing, I like my holiday Full English and this was just not up to the mark. I was not bought toast although I noticed later the table next to me was, so maybe I should have ask. There was no fresh fruit, a choice of cereals and 3 yogurts on display (eat by date was 2015). Not being a fan of the English Breakfast my wife resorted to the supplies she bought with her for such an occasion
Great town though, interesting shops and coffee houses, will probably go again but will try one of the other hostelries.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
BBA2012, General Manager at Old Crown Coaching Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to say that the matters of concern in the bathroom have been addressed and additionally all the bathrooms have now been re-floored. You say the breakfast was disappointing and mention the full English not being 'up to the mark' but don't say what was wrong with it. You will see many other comments on here praising the breakfasts so I am a little puzzled. Our menu does state that if you would like more of anything or extra all you need to do is ask. We always have a bowl of fresh fruit on the buffet as well as a selection of cereals. The use by date on the yoghurts was not 2015 but Sept 2013 (I double checked them myself to be sure).
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at 2.30, having been told at 2 other pubs that they all stopped serving food at 2, but not here (they serve until 3), very friendly welcome from the bar maid/waitress, full menu, really good cheese ploughmans and fish finger sandwich. Thank you, you saved the day!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank j w
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Booked in with my son for a Friday and Saturday night, as we were attending the RIAT at Fairford. The hotel was fully booked, as we're most in the area.

On arrival staff very friendly and helpful. Our room overlooked the courtyard, and was clean and tidy, if in need of a refurbishment. A breakfast bag with fruit juice and snacks was provided, as we were intending leaving for the airshow before breakfast was served in the restaurant.

As we arrived at 9pm on the Friday, and we had an early start in the morning, we settled in at about 11pm. The weather was hot, and so the windows needed to be open (no fans were available).

Unfortunately, what hadn't been made clear was that the hotel serves drinks to guests and public until midnight (lots of chatter), and to make matters worse, the premises next door has live music on until midnight (very loud) and then karaoke/music on until gone 1am! Suffice to say we didn't get to sleep until after 1am, as all the noise echoes around the courtyard and straight into he rooms. The base from the music also resonates.

Having originally booked 2 nights, we decided to cut short our trip and travel home on the Saturday night. I couldn't stand another noisy night, preferring the 4 hour drive instead. On leaving (and explaining why) it was confirmed a live band was on again that night, and it was a recurring problem, to which they sympathised.....so why not warn people when booking??

During the week I assume the issue isn't a problem, but if you plan to stay in the summer and get a courtyard room, you will have to expect noise.

I therefore spent an extra £60 on a nights stay I didn't (and couldn't reasonably) use. I accept the hotel have little control over this, but think it unfair that I wasn't warned beforehand. At least I could have then made an informed choice.

For that, I won't be giving any more of my business to the Old Crown, and feel compelled to warn others.

On a positive note, the bed was okay for comfort, and the shower was decent pressure/temperature.....

Room Tip: If you need an early nights sleep, ask for a room away from the road or the courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank I G
Matlida, General Manager at Old Crown Coaching Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
This is a 16th century coaching inn - that means the rooms are located around a courtyard. We are sorry that the noise from another premises disturbed you but of course that is beyond our control. It is not a regular occurrence and we had no pre-warning of it.

Yes we do stay open until midnight serving drinks to customers - that's what pubs and hotels do! It is a shame you didn't speak to a member of management about music as we could have enquired about the second night. In fact there was only a folk singer on until 11pm so you would have had a peaceful night.

Travelers are raving about these Faringdon hotels

Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

This wasn't our first choice hotel in faringdon but our function hotel was fully booked so opted to stay here. We're glad we did! A proper old coach inn with bags of charater, the lovely lady on reception took us out into the court yard, up what i must say were a pretty hairy flight of stairs, then along a long creaky corridor to our room. (i thought, i like this place already!) The room was ideal, large with a metal framed four poster bed which was very comfortable. The room itself was spotlessly clean, the en suite bathroom had a good shower with plenty of hot water. The decor balance seemed to me about right, modern but you never forgot you were in a old hotel.
We didn't get the chance to sample the evening menu but breakfast fine, help yourself to cereal, fruit, fruit juice & coffee & a waitress took the fry up order which you could tailor to your requirements.
Overall this was a very pleasent if brief stay. The staff were all working hard but still managed a friendly smile & were helpful when needed. And they managed the knack of making it feel very layed back & relaxing!
Will go again & probably try & stay an extra night so can properly explore the old place & have time to chill out!

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed in the court room and first impressions of this room was fantastic, it was beautiful. After unpacking we ventured downstairs to the bar to eat. At first the service was very average but then there was a change over and the lady serving us was rushed off her feet but yet still managed great customer service. After going for a short walk around the village we returned looking forward to using the jacuzzi bath as was our 2 year old daughter. One of the taps had a screwdriver stuck in the top of it? The water just ran cold so I went to reception to inform them, I was told as it was an old building it would take about 10 mins for the hot to come through, so ran the bath for 10 mins, still cold so went back to reception again and mentioned the screwdriver and was told that we need to turn it as a previous guest broke the tap. So we tried this but nothing happened. Again I went to reception and was told " I don't know what to suggest" er is there anyone who could look at it for me? The guy came to look at it but he couldn't get it working either. Wasn't happy with this but was kind of made up by being given a bottle of white wine that would of been great if I wasn't pregnant and my partner actually liked white wine. Thanks anyway. We should of been told about the bath and the hot water, when you have a small child you cant be waiting around for ages. Located next door is a bar which was pumping out load music most of the evening till late with people drinking and shouting outside. you would expect some noise as the room is above a pub but the pub was empty. At around 12.00 we were woken by a noise from the bathroom the tap had turned itself on, apparently the place is haunted! Anyway in the morning we the used the shower but had to wait at least 20 mins for the hot water to come through. Breakfast was poor, we were the only ones in there eating but yet there were things missing off the cooked breakfast and had to ask for them, and the tiny 1 poached egg on toast certainly didn't fill my partner up. Breakfast and service could defiantly be improved! Overall an ok stay, wouldn't go back though.

• Stayed May 2013
BBA2012, General Manager at Old Crown Coaching Inn, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
The bath tap had been broken by a previous guest and a temporary repair carried out. This was pointed out at arrival. We are sorry that the guest was unable to get hot water, but when checked the following day no fault was found. The reference to a ghost would not be the first time such a thing has occurred - we are famed for it.
I am sorry that I am not psychic - the gift of a bottle of wine was a gesture of goodwill and I was not to know the lady was pregnant and the gentleman did not like white.
In the heading to this review are the words 'poor service' but this is not explained further - in fact the guest commented about the good service.
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

The staff are very friendly and helpful, not impressed with much else.

The room felt very dirty, I had dust on my socks from the carpet! The tea cup in the room was stuck on the saucer with dirt.

The shower looked like it was falling apart, yet turned out to be more powerful than expected.

Went for breakfast at 9..... Was seated and walked out 40 minutes later as still no food turned up. The poor waitress had to serve a table of 17 on her own so everyone else had to wait. We went back to the room as fed up. The lovely waitress did come up to apologise but we were just about to leave.

Paid a lot of money to include breakfast too.

Very unimpressed overall. Needs a good clean and some tlc. Staff really friendly though.

Won't be returning

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Amy D
BBA2012, Manager at Old Crown Coaching Inn, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Our rooms are cleaned to the highest standard - as verified by other reviews - so we are sorry you found otherwise. Our staff checked with you at breakfast time and the gentleman said he was feeling unwell and did not want his breakfast. When reading your review we initially thought you had been in a hurry but now see that you did not check out until 11.30am. At that time our General Manager asked if the visit had been to your satisfaction and the gentleman said that everything had been fine.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Faringdon
The Bell Hotel
Travelodge Burford Cotswolds
The Oxford Belfry
The Oxford Belfry
#2 of 2 in Milton Common

Been to Old Crown Coaching Inn? Share your experiences!