“Bear with it.”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Faringdon
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Bear with it.”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This hotel exceeded first impressions with the premium quality 'Court Room', but needs to ensure the quirkiness only enhances does not detract from the experience.
Visitors will have little trouble finding the place itself, being right on the 'town square', (triangle?), but identifying the car-park is a little more subtle. (It's an alleyway to the left, marked by a 'Post Office' sign).

Entering the bar, the "character" hits you between the eyes, fortunately not literally. - This is not an ersatz corporate fit-out, but a living local pub. Put it that way.
The young lady behind the bar was exceedingly friendly and helpful, disappearing off to get the paperwork and even coming out into the street to show us to the car park. She then led us up passageways to the courtyard and our room with profuse apologies that the Jacuzzi wasn't working on the bath because "the plumber hasn't turned-up". Once we saw our room, we decided we could cope with that glitch! It was huge, spotlessly clean and furnished in a most appropriate manner, with three piece suite, plasma and two grand king-size beds. No air-con, by the way. Not so sure about soccer, as another reviewer has suggested, but room aplenty for cat swinging or a variety of other ball games.
Despite a broken blind, the bathroom is the crowning touch, with dimmers, side-lit mirror, thermostatic power shower and a bath, though sans-fizz, that could accommodate a decently mature whale.

As has been noted by other reviewers, the plumbing is somewhat cantankerous, and initially produced as much air as it did cold water, but somehow managed to pass muster when we eventually demanded a luxuriating swim. The consumables were of decent quality, by the way, so the management have obviously taken note of previous criticism, and they didn't stint on them or indeed the tea, coffee and biscuits. (Fairtrade, too).

We didn't eat or drink in, but at the Bangkok Kitchen, eccentrically housed in the old Post Office nearby, and returned to the daunting serenade of an 80's covers band in another pub across the courtyard, (and naff fountain), led by a vocalist that could sour milk at 40 paces. Fortunately, our through-the-wall entertainment courtesy of the wedding party shut up shop about eleven, and the town square remained peaceful until the blazing morning roused the village idiot about six thirty.

Weekend breakfast is from eight-thirty til ten, and was the most unremarkable aspect of our stay: The coffee was from a standard help-yourself Bravilor filter/hotplate and a bit stewed, the juice and cereal choice limited and the "full English" passable as we admired the view, ringing church bells and delightfully amateurish interior design, complete with odd "Redcoat" soldier mannequin looking down from the balcony.

Next time we stay, we'll sample the real ales of the bar, and see if the evening atmosphere lives up to promise, but this time will content ourselves with a very memorable stay. This is not a venue for lovers of chain hotel standardisation, but rewarding to those open to a little eccentricity.

Room Tip: Try for the four-posters or the court room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roland C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Polish first
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2012

The hotel is in a super spot just outside of Oxford. There is a bus service that stops right outside. Meaning you can park the car and forget it. The breakfast was very good and the rooms were clean and a reasonable size. We had plumbing problems which put a bit of a damper on our stay. The management were very obliging and eager to assist. Good value

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank hilarya1
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Used this as a stopover on the way back up from Cornwall, wish we would of kept on driving!
It was booked only a few days before... we decided that like on the way down we would prefer to have a break rather than drive the whole distance especially with our 3 year old daughter in tow.
I did a bit of research and the recent comments seemed to be good rather than bad so i rang and booked. They had three rooms left which I booked as we were a party of 5 adults and 1 child.
I later read on the internet that this place is haunted and this only added to the excitement of stopping at a 16th century coaching inn with loads of character.
When we arrived in Faringdon it was a bit of a disappointment that it seemed quite dead with not much on offer. We found the 'Crown' and couldn't find the car park so ran in and asked, the entrance for parking is easily missed.
We then walked in the back way to which we all looked at each other and thought surely the whole place isn't as tired and dirty looking throughout as this......... it was!
When I rang to book I asked if we should pay on arrival or before and was told on arrival was fine. The booking was made as one... however my family in two of the rooms wanted to pay cash and I wanted to pay on debit card. The foreign lady who was dealing with our arrival pulled a face and said it would be too awkward to pay seperate ways and cash would be easier (hmmm) we all paid cash and was showed to the rooms. We had a laugh on the way as we'd read that room 8 was one which was haunted and my parents had been given that room!
We soon stopped laughing when we opened the doors to our rooms! My brothers room, number 3 had a terrible banging noise coming from nearby, when we asked we were told that it was a water boiler filling up and it would stop about 9pm!!
When we saw our room, number 9, we were pleased that they'd done as requested and made two of the singles into a double for me and my husband and a single bed for our daughter (originally a triple room), but so disappointed of how basic, small, grubby and a high up window that we couldn't see out of. The t.v was an old fashioned box t.v, we'd expected from other reviews that we'd read that they had the flat screens. The bathroom had no bath, only a shower which I must say apart from the mould around the bottom, it was actually very nice and powerful.
We decided not to eat in the hotel and went to 'Bangkok Kitchen' a thai restaurant down the road. Thank goodness we chose this option as it was the best part of our stay.
We came back had a few drinks them went to our rooms. My parents couldn't get the their t.v to work and when I told the manager he tried to fix it himself them gave it up as a bad job.
I told the Manager at how poor I thought the place was and definitely not worth the £195 that we had spent (Twin £60, Double £65, Triple £70) the rooms were like dungeons. I told him that I would be writing my views on tripadvisor about the state of the place to which he replied "Im not bothered about tripadvsor" basically he just didn't care. The service and standards were terrible in this hotel. The breakfast wasn't much better either, it came warm instead of hot and tasted poor quality... we left the majority on our plates.
The only reason I have rated it poor and not terrible is that when we left, the foreign lady rang to say that my little girl had left her teddy bear and so I thank her for that.
Didn't see or hear any ghosts during our stay, if we had then it might of actually given the place a better atmosphere..... mind due it was probably haunted and even the ghosts have packed up and left!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank elle25578

Travelers are raving about these Faringdon hotels

Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I took a group of eight walkers to the Olde Crown at Faringdon for a long weekend in March 2012. It was really good, and we all agreed. The food and rooms were good and not expensive. A good selection of beers. The whole place has been largely redecorated and has the feel of settling in to a great new era of such a grand historic establishment. The manager is new, and has the energy, experience and vision to deliver great service. I felt he cared about our weekend. There were small things like no teaspoons at breakfast, and no milk on the tables, and that's why I'm not giving five stars; but the place is now in good hands and I'll certainly be going back sometime with my wife.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank jacquesotoole
south elmsall
Reviewed March 23, 2012

After reading various reviews i was a bit unsure about booking,but i went ahead anyway.on arrival we had a really warm friendly welcome.The owners are new to the old crown and not to be confused with the old owners who ran the place down.the hotel is very clean newly decorated and has fantastic food.nothing is to much trouble for the staff,i would recommend staying at the old coaching inn to one and all.thanks for everything joe julie ann and frank.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank dhchamp
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I booked the Crown Inn for Christmas day and what a HUGE disappointment! I cannot comment on the state of the rooms nor the quality of the food at the restaurant as my husband and my mother in law we never made it that far (we were turned down at reception!). We confirmed the booking a couple of days before our arrival, so we were looking forward to a lovely Christmas break with our family. Little did we know.....When we arrived at the Inn, we were told the hotel was closed and all bookings had been re-directed to other hotels. Unfortunately, noone new to which hotels our booking had been re-directed to!!!! We were speechless.......furthermore, noone bothered to call us to inform us of the changes and noone made any effort whatsoever to help us to find an alternative accomodation. I don't think the world "unprofessional" is adequate to describe the management of this hotel.......what a lovely way to celebrate Christmas..........

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sabina_Bertorelle
Taunton Somerset
Reviewed December 2, 2011

This was pulled off late rooms as the room was on offer. It is situated in a pleasant market town, which is fairly small but nice enough for a wander. The staff were very freindly and helpful, and even brought us piping hot breakfast in bed which they don't normally do on Sunday morning. The hotel is very large and has various bars and function rooms, and it is a little on the scruffy side. However, the room with the four poster bed was superb, massive and very comfortable four poster bed in a large room. Bathroom only had a shower but was all clean and worked well once set to the right temperature. Towels were on the small side and the flat screen TV didn't have good reception.
But otherwise a pleasant stay. We didn't have an evening meal there, and ended up in the Market Restautant across the road which was excellent but expensive.

Room Tip: Four poster room is quiet as it is high up from the bars.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Faringdon
The Bell Hotel
Old Swan & Minster Mill
Old Swan & Minster Mill
#1 of 1 in Minster Lovell
Travelodge Burford Cotswolds

Been to Old Crown Coaching Inn? Share your experiences!