“Amazing ! I would eat here everyday !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Market Restaurant - CLOSED

Market Restaurant
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: We have now CLOSED, after 24 glorious years of successful trading... The building is on the market and for sale, so get in quick if you would like to buy it.
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Amazing ! I would eat here everyday !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

If you are passing through make sure you pop in for some lunch (at least), this lovely restaurant is amazing.

Before I even mention the food, the service and atmosphere in this little restaurant makes it deserving of a place amongst the big names. We were greeted and seated at a candle-lit table by a lovely lady who took our drinks orders and then given time to pick at the savoury popcorn and browse the menu on the wall. Although this was our first visit you could feel that other people in the bar were excited to be eating there, and although the restaurant was busy it managed to keep hold of that laid back vibe.

Sadly I can't remember what we each had to eat, but every plate was finished, even after a boat full of the best bread any of us had ever tasted.

The service throughout was very friendly and completely faultless, present but not too invasive. One of my favourite places to eat - ever.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jo_and_Andy_Boston, General Manager at Market Restaurant, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I think your words strangely sum up what we are about. That is to say, the food complements the restaurant and vise versa.
We aim for our guests to leave with a warm glow, not an overpowering gastronomic adventure.
All the same, I hope the food was not intentionally 'not remembered'.
With thanks.

London, United Kingdom
“Birthday treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was taken here recently for my birthday by a friend who lives closer, and have to say it was the best eating experience I have had for some time. OK they must have been told it was my birthday, as a delightful birthday cake was presented with coffee, but I did notice the other customers were getting the same level of attention, which distinguishes the better eateries from the ordinary.
The menu is varied and interesting with a pudding menu that even my friend had difficulty choosing from, such was the desire to try most of them, but then I would have liked to try all the starters and the all the mains as well.
It was not the best of autumn days for a drive in the country, but the warmth of the atmosphere as we walked through the door was immediate. This is a restaurant that deserves to do well, and the owners are accomplished in what they do.

• Visited October 2012
Berkshire
“First visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Not one to rush to the computer to write reviews, but after such an excellent lunch here, felt compelled to do so. All three courses were delicious, but it was not just the food that impressed. The welcome, the savoury popcorn nibbles with drinks, the bread that nearly spoiled my appetite, and all in a totally relaxed atmosphere. The other lunch time diners seemed to be friendly local regulars which is always a good sign, and if I lived nearer I would be joining them. Would certainly make a detour to eat here and parking is not a problem either.

• Visited October 2012
Swindon, United Kingdom
“They Don't Make Then Like This Any More”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I don't know if the restaurant is retro' , but it embodies the best of a bygone era. The owners may have been operating for a good many years, but it still feels quirky and fresh, with new kitsch styling each time we visit . We have have been to the restaurant about 10 times in the last 8 years and have found it to be consistently good, with a varied menu and wonderfully attentive staff. The food ( including starts and puddings ) seems to be a mix between hearty French and new wave English, with a bit of Italy thrown in for good measure. Three rooms with a bar area, in the center of town, so always something look at, inside or out.

• Visited September 2012
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“Charming old fashioned restaurant let down by poor food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Located in the centre of Faringdon, this restaurant has a distinctly 80's French bistro air about it. The large bar room is set aside for drinks and is separate from a main dining room of eight tables. It's a pleasant interior, and the atmosphere is helped by very cordial service.

Regrettably our food was quite poor. A black pudding starter was too large and quite dry. A rump of lamb was grey and tough, sitting in a pool of overly sweet sauce. A beetroot and stilton brulee was not a success.

The restaurant is only open three nights a week, and was pretty full the evening we visited.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
muzzerdog, Owner at Market Restaurant, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Gosh.. Thank you so much for your feedback, we do try to please everyone, but obviously we did not do very well on this occasion. Please do contact us again and we will try to make amends.
The most shocking part of your comment is that the 'Scottish Black Pudding Grilled in Whisky', starter, and the 'Welsh Lamb Roast', are our most popular dishes. We have no excuses for failing, but I believe this was a busy evening, with unexpected walk-ins.