“Birthday treat”
Review of Market Restaurant - CLOSED

Market Restaurant
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We have now CLOSED, after 24 glorious years of successful trading... The building is on the market and for sale, so get in quick if you would like to buy it.
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was taken here recently for my birthday by a friend who lives closer, and have to say it was the best eating experience I have had for some time. OK they must have been told it was my birthday, as a delightful birthday cake was presented with coffee, but I did notice the other customers were getting the same level of attention, which distinguishes the better eateries from the ordinary.
The menu is varied and interesting with a pudding menu that even my friend had difficulty choosing from, such was the desire to try most of them, but then I would have liked to try all the starters and the all the mains as well.
It was not the best of autumn days for a drive in the country, but the warmth of the atmosphere as we walked through the door was immediate. This is a restaurant that deserves to do well, and the owners are accomplished in what they do.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Not one to rush to the computer to write reviews, but after such an excellent lunch here, felt compelled to do so. All three courses were delicious, but it was not just the food that impressed. The welcome, the savoury popcorn nibbles with drinks, the bread that nearly spoiled my appetite, and all in a totally relaxed atmosphere. The other lunch time diners seemed to be friendly local regulars which is always a good sign, and if I lived nearer I would be joining them. Would certainly make a detour to eat here and parking is not a problem either.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I don't know if the restaurant is retro' , but it embodies the best of a bygone era. The owners may have been operating for a good many years, but it still feels quirky and fresh, with new kitsch styling each time we visit . We have have been to the restaurant about 10 times in the last 8 years and have found it to be consistently good, with a varied menu and wonderfully attentive staff. The food ( including starts and puddings ) seems to be a mix between hearty French and new wave English, with a bit of Italy thrown in for good measure. Three rooms with a bar area, in the center of town, so always something look at, inside or out.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Located in the centre of Faringdon, this restaurant has a distinctly 80's French bistro air about it. The large bar room is set aside for drinks and is separate from a main dining room of eight tables. It's a pleasant interior, and the atmosphere is helped by very cordial service.

Regrettably our food was quite poor. A black pudding starter was too large and quite dry. A rump of lamb was grey and tough, sitting in a pool of overly sweet sauce. A beetroot and stilton brulee was not a success.

The restaurant is only open three nights a week, and was pretty full the evening we visited.

muzzerdog, Owner at Market Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Gosh.. Thank you so much for your feedback, we do try to please everyone, but obviously we did not do very well on this occasion. Please do contact us again and we will try to make amends.
The most shocking part of your comment is that the 'Scottish Black Pudding Grilled in Whisky', starter, and the 'Welsh Lamb Roast', are our most popular dishes. We have no excuses for failing, but I believe this was a busy evening, with unexpected walk-ins.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

The Market Restaurant sits right in the centre of the attractive town of Faringdon. It is open on Thursday, Friday & Saturday evenings plus Friday lunch time. It has a comfortable bar/reception area & a cosy dining room; both have a warm, welcoming ambience which matches the friendly, helpful service from Jo, who's husband Andy is the chef. We ate on a Friday evening & the food was delicious. We drank the house white & red, both of which we were encouraged to try before we committed ourselves to a bottle. Everything about this little restaurant feels just right. There is good food, excellent service, a very friendly welcome & very reasonable prices. We will return & we will strongly recommend it to our friends. Thank you to Jo & Andy.