“My 60th Party at the Bignell Park”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bignell Park Hotel

Bignell Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chesterton
Soulbury, United Kingdom
“My 60th Party at the Bignell Park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

I had my 60th birthday party at the Bignell Park. We had some minor concerns due to some negative comments on this site which proved to be totally unfounded. My response to this is, no matter what location you look at on TripAdviser, you will always find negative comments. People need to realise that when running a hotel, from time to time things will go wrong. Anyway here's my experience.

I had 120 guests. Right from the planning meetings with the management, nothing was too much trouble.

We used the permanent marquee which was really warm as an industrial heater was provided by the hotel. Additionally, the other areas of the hotel were made available. My guests used all the rooms in the hotel and all were very impressed with the quality.

The staff went above and beyond the call of duty in order to make the evening a massive success. Everything from the marquee, the bar, the food (which I shall cover separately), the accommodation and the on duty staff, was just fantastic.

With regard to the food, your kitchen team exceeded our expectations and we have had nothing but fantastic comments from all who attended. The meat in Irish Stew was amazing and the Colcannon very traditional. The curry and accompaniments also were a great hit. The breakfasts in the morning, which was surprisingly well attended considering the number of sore heads (mine included !!) were brilliant - all freshly cooked.

The rooms were excellent and enjoyed by all who stayed.

So in summary, you will probably guess that we had an amazing time thanks to all the Bignell Park Team. Please pass on our thanks to all involved.

I have no hesitation in recommending the hotel and please, be realistic about reviews on this site. People generally love to complain but are very slow to praise, which can give a very one sided view.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Ruckers54
Clive W, General Manager at Bignell Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent birthday and stay at Bignell Park Hotel.

I am delighted that all aspects of your event and stay were enjoyable and that you found all staff professional and friendly, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Just returned home after a two night break at the Bignell Park Hotel.
Our room was lovely, very clean.
Staff were great.
breakfast was so nice, fresh and the staff in the restaurant was one of the most friendliest person we have ever met.
Reception staff always had a smile and nothing seem to much for them, when asked if we could have more tea bags and milk, they quickly brought them to us and with a smile.
Can not wait to go back.

Room Tip: we just loved the room we got. and I am a fussy person.
2 Thank helen348
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Bignell Park Hotel.

It is always pleasing to know that guests have thoroughly enjoyed their stay, and thank you for your positive comments regarding the staff, food and room and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Hastings, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed in the hotel for 2 nights as a romantic getaway. We were slightly sceptical with some of the poor reviews on here, but we need not have worried. All the staff were polite, attentive and smart. The hotel was spotlessly clean. We enjoyed a first class meal in the restaurant, which we could thoroughly recommend. The breakfast was superb too. We would definitely go back.

2 Thank Julie S
Clive W, General Manager at Bignell Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Bignell Park Hotel.

It is pleasing to note that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, finding the staff, rooms and food to be of a high standard, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

On a recent family visit to Chesterton we decided to have dinner at the hotel as we were looking to stay there but fortunately no rooms were available. On arrival it was evident the hotel lacked any atmosphere. We had reviewed the sample menu on line and hoped the actual menu would be better. All 5 or 6 starter options were not to my taste so I was happy to pass, my partner had a bowl of olives with some soggy bread with a drizzle of olive oil. Other family members had pate with toast that was rock hard, so hard we couldn't stop laughing. The mains also were not to my taste (no chicken option) so the helpful waitress agreed that I could order the smaller steak option from the bar menu. Perfect I thought a medium/well ribeye steak. It came and went as fast as it was brought to me as completely rare. She kindly took it back and once again brought it back very bloody. I tried to eat this but even tho it wasn't cooked to how I asked for it, it was so fatty it wasn't worth the bother. This hotel does not serve a la carte food, it try's hard to be all fancy and fails miserably. Fortunately m & s saved the day with crisps & dips as I left starving !!! The hotel inspector would have a ball here !!!

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Plopie
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent meal at Bignell Park Hotel.

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your meal. Having reviewed the menu on-line, it is surprising that you expected a different menu upon arrival. It is pleasing to note that the staff were flexible in catering to your requirements.
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

On arrival room was cold as heating was not put on and it was a cold wet evening. Our first dinner we both had a steak. I asked for Rare and my partner asked for well done. They both came out rare.
The night was worse as the floor boards to room above us were so thin or old we could hear every walking person and also the fan in their bathroom operating.
Second nights dinner my partner had steak well done again and this time it came out burnt !!! My prawn toast was so hard it could not be eaten.
Upon checkout they were trying to charge for three dinners, a bit difficult as we were only there for two nights.
Stay away from this hotel as its overrated and very bad value for you hard earned money.

2 Thank Nick W
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Bignell Park Hotel.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, and that the steak wasn't cooked to your liking. With regard to the prawn toast, we do not serve it, so I can only assume you had something else.

I am confident that the inaccuracies on your bill were swiftly rectified by reception and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

This hotel is just 5 minutes drive away from Bicester Outlet Village (ask for a VIP 10% discount card which is available at hotel reception) and, although it is 10 minutes drive from Junction 9 of the M40, it is in a quiet village.
We stayed for 2 nights and although some parts could do with a lick of paint, there was a comfortable lounge and bar with lots of leather sofas. We had a lovely family room which was spacious, clean and comfortable.
We only used the restaurant for breakfast but this was excellent with a good choice from the buffet of fresh fruit and cereals, pastries, cold meats and juices and the hot breakfasts were cooked to order and could not be faulted.
The staff were friendly and helpful and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
With a Wowcher offer, our 2 nights bed and breakfast for 2 only cost £99 which was exceptional value.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John P
Clive W, General Manager at Bignell Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Bignell Park Hotel.

I am pleased to note that you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of your stay, finding the food faultless and the staff friendly and helpful, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very run down and needs some serious renovation. That wasn't my problem though. They overcharged me for a dinner and a bar bill I never had and when I noticed and tried to get a refund they just lied and lied and lied. I stayed there in October and it is now January and no cheque has materialised even though this has been promised to be on it's way several times by general manager Clive !!!! There is a very good Premier Inn around the corner, stay there instead.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bettina B
Clive W, General Manager at Bignell Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in October 2013.

I have no recollection of this refund. Perhaps you could telephone me to discuss.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterton
Premier Inn Bicester Hotel
The Oxford Belfry
The Oxford Belfry
#2 of 2 in Milton Common
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,639 reviews

Been to Bignell Park Hotel? Share your experiences!