“Lovely stay.”
Review of Bignell Park Hotel

Bignell Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chesterton
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had purchased a two day break with one of the 'deal' sites and rang to book not expecting to be accommodated at the (very) last minute. However, the lovely lady on the phone was most helpful and we were able to stay the nights we wanted. On arrival we found our room to be warm, comfortable and perfectly adequate for a couple of nights although I would have preferred to have some draws for clothes, rather than just hanging space and bedside tables. Bathroom was good, very nice shower (in bath) and constant hot water when we needed it. The bed was very comfortable and we slept extremely well. The staff are lovely. The food is good - breakfast was very tasty and well prepared and the evening meal we ate good value and very enjoyable. I wouldn't hesitate to return as I think the staff and management are working very hard to please their guests and are doing a very good job.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iresearch

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed here last weekend with my partner and we had paid £150 for a 2 night break with breakfast and a massage each, through a voucher website, this was advertised as being worth £316 – at the time this seemed like a very good deal and I tried not to dwell too much on some of the negative reviews on Trip Advisor. We thought this hotel would be a good location to explore the Cotswolds from, and it was, it was conveniently located near the main a-roads and the motorway, as well as that for some high-end retail therapy Bicester Village was literally around the corner… the location was perfect.

Day 1: I always think first impressions count, so when we drove into the car park the first thing I had noticed was an outdoor/garden statue with its head missing…oh dear, this put me right off. When we entered the reception the décor seemed OK, apart from a random ghetto-blaster placed in a corner on the floor; the reception was clean, but there was no ambience at all. I noticed a room on the right hand-side which was supposed to be a guest ‘chill-out area’ but looked more like a living area in an a nursing home, it had a nice fire-place but the sofa and chairs were awkwardly placed. We then met with the receptionist who seemed quite odd, she didn’t have much to say and didn’t give us a formal ‘welcome’ as such or a ‘talk-through’ about the hotel and it’s amenities – a pretty cold experience I must say. It would have been nice to be told where everything was, such as the bar and restaurant, rather than us having to guess!

Our room was number 38 and when we entered it we were quite pleased with what we saw, it was very neutral with a modern TV, large bed and a sofa; apart from a few dodgy lights and a chandelier, the rooms was large and in a very good condition. The bathroom was completely on the opposite end of the scale, although the shower was good and powerful the bath was very small, the tiling around it was very shoddy and the mirror over the sink seemed to be in a very bad state. When it came to using the bathroom, as mentioned before the shower was good/powerful, however the toilet flush was very temperamental! We got settled in and I decided to have a shave and the plug for the sink’s plug-hole came off its chain and at this point I looked into the mirror and thought; can this deal really be worth £316? If the massages are worth £20 each (which they were) then the room must be worth £138 per night, surely you’d expect better standards? Nevertheless, the way I saw it was that I was parting with £55 per night and that was probably its real value. During the course of the afternoon we decided to go out to Bicester Village (which is a must visit) and en-route, whilst walking through the hotel corridors we noticed a number of things such old dirty stained carpet, cans of beer on a window ledge and tired paintwork, at one point I looked out a window and I saw a dozen or so TV sets stored in the rain outside in the garden area – great view!

When we returned to the hotel in the evening, we decided to sit in the bar for an evening drink/beer and we found it very awkward as it was very quiet due to no background music, and as there was another couple we had to literally whisper to talk to one another. There was absolutely no atmosphere at all, and we even suggested if they could play some music for us, but they didn’t have a stereo, not even that ghetto-blaster I saw earlier was at hand! We then thought it might be worth going to the restaurant to have a ponder at the menu, but as soon as we entered we wanted to turn straight back around as again, there was no music, atmosphere or a single soul to be seen; although it was nicely decorated there was a random baby-chair at a table which just seemed odd and took the focus away. Whilst we stood at the restaurant, another couple walked in and there was a little awkward moment as there was silence and exchanges of smiles until the waitress had entered, we had a quick look at the menu (which was pricey) and then decided to order an Indian takeaway, from a local curry-house, which was great (you’ll find their menu in the rooms).

Day 2: I must admit the sleep was pleasant, and it was perhaps one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on, apart from the bathroom, as I said, I have no complaints about the room and the bed at all. The next morning we went downstairs for breakfast, and to our surprise there was music in the restaurant, the nice waitress (and part-time bar-lady) had taken on board what we had suggested the previous night. We both ordered a full English breakfast, we then noticed that a waitress (which we had not seen before) walked in with two plates and placed them at another couples table, however it wasn’t their breakfast and they asked for it to be sent back. The waitress then brought the same plates to our table and placed them, it wasn’t ours either as we didn’t order black pudding or fried egg (we ordered poached egg) and when I told the waitress she looked all confused, shrugged her shoulders and walked off. I initially gave her the benefit of the doubt and thought she would return back but after 5 minutes of waiting she didn’t and I was in compete utter shock and so were the other couple when they had noticed what had happened. I then had to get up and find someone and when I finally explained what had happened to another waitress she had simply replied ‘bless her, she’s Spanish and gets all confused!’, not the response I was looking for. The same morning we had our massages, which were OK, but they were only 20 minutes, so it wasn’t really relaxing nor did it feel like a ‘spa’ as the massage was in a small hotel-room. As there is no hotel gym, pool or sauna in the hotel please don’t confuse any similar future deals here as being a spa day/weekend. We spent a majority of our second day out visiting different villages (Witney and Burford) and then dined-out in Oxford at the excellent Cote restaurant; apart from the room/bed there wasn’t anything to attract us back to the hotel.

The next morning I noticed that the toiletries had not been replenished, they must have thought we didn’t need any more shower-gel, but at this point I wasn’t surprised at all! It was like Groundhog day during breakfast, as they cocked up breakfast for some other guests, but this time we saw the funny side of it. We spoke to a number of other guests and they all referred to the hotel as ‘Faulty Towers’ and indeed it is, the hotel is not worth £138 per night at all and you are not getting a great deal through any voucher web-site, you only get what you pay for (£55 per night). As well as the hotels décor, the customer service needs drastically improving, we didn’t even get a ‘goodbye’ from the receptionist when we left! The only people I felt were friendly and provided some level of customer service was the English waitress (despite the fact that she used the other waitresses first language as being Spanish as an excuse for the breakfast cock-up) and the Afro-Caribbean receptionist who did the evening shifts – the rest were on a different planet! The location is great, and so is the bed and shower, but that’s where it stops! I have given this 2 stars and that is simply 1 star for the bed and 1 for the location, but do not be fooled by the voucher web-sites.

7  Thank jayb007
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Have chosen this for regular weekday business stays. Reception have been very friendly and helpful - nothing too much trouble. Customer relations are excellent.
Rooms are average but clean and reasonably well presented.
Food is pretty good - if available, chef can offer slight variations from the menu.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank barhud01
Reviewed March 15, 2013

A very welcome break from the snowy conditions in the east of england.
We were welcomed very friendly by the receptionist.The room was very large and well appointed.
Very comfortable bed and good size bathroom.
evening meal was good although there was aproblem getting a pint of beer in the bar,suggest a problem with low usage bitter very bad.
Breakfast was excellent and waitress very helpfull with the local tips on usage of Park and Ride in Oxford.
We both had a neck,shoulder & back massage very relaxing and well carried out a very friendly beautician.

Room Tip: Room 25 was very large and comfortable.The room needs a little tender care but this was not a major...
1  Thank george w
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed 2 nights here in February , check in was very friendly especially as I was very shook up as we had hit a deer on the road outside the hotel,the receptionist opened the bar so my husband and I could have a stiff drink.The room was fairly large but very dark due to a rather large tree outside the window (ground floor). The room was clean with nice fluffy towels and good shower.The bed was large and so comfy.The only problem was the corridor outside the room smelt very strongly of cigarette smoke, we couldn't smell it in the room though but did have to walk through it. We mentioned this at reception and was told that its next to the managers living quarters.When we came back later the window in the corridor was left open and was the entire time we were there..We were told before we arrived that the restaurant was closed on Sundays but were directed to the village pub.What a treat, olde worlde charm with a large open log fire burning.Good choice of food which was excellent and the wine reasonably priced. A nice 10 mins walk there and back.We had a fabulous meal in the hotel on the second night the restaurant is small but this made it quite intimate it was mostly couples.Very good service attentive without hovering. Had a few drinks in the bar, very cosy with large soft leather settees.There is plenty of parking. 10% off Bicester Shopping Outlet ask at reception.Had a lovely stay will be staying again and thank you to the staff that made it so enjoyable. TIP- Watch out for Deer!

Room Tip: ask for a room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was a Mother's Day treat chosen here as it is near Bicester Outlet Shopping Village. The food here is trully amazing and we sent our compliments to the chef but the 'Hotel' itself needs revamping. The decor in our room was not up to 3-star standards and the bathroom was like any home bathroom; certainly no hotel luxury. The bed was uncomfortable and the curtains were creased. When we arrived, it was clear that the receptionist was given a multi-functional role and, although very friendly, couldn't quite handle the task. A second receptionist / waitress was extremely unhelpful to us the next and quite rude regarding breakfast arrangements.
I felt that this accomodation relies on good weather and functions to showcase the grounds but lacks innovation inside the building.
Although advertised as a 3-star Hotel, I would describe it as 2-star B&B at best.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jolene O
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Spent 2 nights here last weekend as a Groupon deal we'd bought last year. It included a double room for 2 nights, breakfast both mornings and an evening meal on the first night. The hotel is very nice and we were impressed with our room. Big comfy bed and although the bathroom was clean it could have done with a bit of updating. Our meal on Friday night in the restaurant was very nice and we couldn't fault it although we didn't eat there again on Saturday night as we felt it was a bit pricey. The breakfast both mornings was also very nice. Both nights we walked to the Red Cow pub in Chesterton village. Its a lovely village pub with an open fire and apparently the food is very good although we didn't eat there. The hotel is very well located for visits to both Oxford and Bicester and has alot more charm than say a Premier Inn, we would have no hesitation in recommending to others who wanted to visit this area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterton
1 mi away
The Dashwood Hotel
The Dashwood Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kirtlington
Best Western Plus Magnolia Park Hotel, Golf and Country Club

Been to Bignell Park Hotel? Share your experiences!