“I just stayed here and paid a lot to do...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bicester Hotel, Golf and Spa

Bicester Hotel, Golf and Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chesterton
parkp
“I just stayed here and paid a lot to do...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

I just stayed here and paid a lot to do so. The first thing that struck me was the crappy view from my room - calorgas cylinders and wasteland! As you might expect it's in the back of beyond, which is bad if it rains. More importantly, because they have a captive market their customer service around food is dreadful. Due to a misunderstanding about rooms I arrived at dinner at 8.50pm to be told that they were taking no more orders and I should get a sandwich from the bar. The bar had stopped serving too and I had to made do with two bags of crisps from them for my evening meal as there is no food device to the room. That's ridiculous and yokel for what purports to be a luxury hotel.

3 Thank parkp
BicesterHotel, Rooms Division Manager at Bicester Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Bicester Hotel, Golf & Spa.

Unfortunately we do have a select view bedrooms with poor views, we are currently working to improve these. We feel the our bedrooms are spacious and luxurious with all the amenities guests expect in a modern hotel therefore I hope the view didn't prevent you from relaxing in your bedroom.

I would like to apologise for the poor customer service you experienced in the restaurant during your stay, I have passed this comment onto the Food & Beverage Manager who will be looking into this matter. Your experience is certainly a disappointment, and is an anomaly.

I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the future to allow us to offer you the relaxing break which we strive to provide.

Rachel Baldock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Kelso, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

Stayed here for one night and worth mentioning that I got a very good rate via Booking.com; if I had paid the normal rate my review would be far more critical. Firstly, on arrival, the receptionist was very cool and insisted on seeing proof of our booking before she would check us in. That over, we found our room to be large, well equipped and as good as any you would find in a 4 star hotel. Although free wi-fi was promised, we couldn't get it in our room and I had to move into the corridor to find a signal. The spa facilities were excellent and it was a real treat to be able to use them - saunas, jacuzzis, pool etc. We decided to eat in the hotel restaurant and although I have no complaints about the food, again the staff seemed cold and disinterested. This was repeated at breakfast; almost as if the waitress was coming to the end of a night shift! Only other complaint was that the sports bar wreaked of stale cigarettes which made it quite unpleasant to drink in - odd given how long the smoking ban has been in place. Overall I think this is a lovely modern hotel but it is let down by the poor attitude of some of the staff.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travel_fan022
BicesterHotel, Rooms Division Manager at Bicester Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Bicester Hotel, Golf & Spa.

I am pleased that you were happy with your bedroom, the spa facilities and the food in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. We take pride in our fantastic facilities therefore I am pleased that you enjoyed using them.

With regards to your comments about the staff at the hotel, I would like to apologise that you felt that they were 'cold' and 'uninterested.' I am confident in saying that all staff enjoy their work and are passionate about the hospitalilty industry and offering good customer service. I shall pass on your comments to individual departmental manager to address.

I do hope that you will return to Bicester Hotel, Golf & Spa in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

We recently stayed here for 2 nights for our girlie shopping and spa weekend and you can't fault the hotel and its setting. The rooms are lovely, ours over looked the golf course. The bathroom had quality fittings and a nice shower, the bed was lovely with nice bed linen and plenty of pillows which made for a good nights sleep.

We spent Sunday in the spa and had a number of lovely treatments with lunch by the pool so all in all a lovely day.

In the evening we decided to eat in Grays restaurant. We sat in the bar area by the restaurant and had some champagne as we usually do on our girlie trips - when our table was ready we were shown to it but then I had to go back and collect the champagne. Personally I think the restaurant is expensive for what it is, pretty much £8 for starters and desserts and £17-£20 for main courses. The food is ok but not outstanding. One thing I would expect when I'm being charged £8 for a starter or dessert is some linen napkins not bright orange paper ones - acceptable at breakfast but not for dinner! The waitress couldn't tell the difference between sea bass and cod, we served ourselves the champagne apart from once at which point the waitress picked it up by the bottle neck as she'd obviously not been shown how to pour wine. We had to ask for water as they never seemed to notice. My friend had the chocolate fondant which obviously wasn't freshly made as it came out to quickly but she said it was nice anyway.

Breakfast service was also a similar affair, the waitress came to our table asked my friend what she would like and then proceeded to ignore me and walk off. The staff need some direction and perhaps some more training as they don't seem to know what they're doing. When the plates are piling up on a table of 5 it doesn't take a lot to know that the table needs clearing of empty plates.

We came back at 6pm on the 2nd day and our room hadn't been cleaned so I went and spoke to them at reception about it. I told them not to bother cleaning the room now as we needed to get ready to go out for the evening so please could they send towels down to our room. Yes she said. We decided to go for a coffee whilst they did that and when we went back 20 minuites later still no towels in the room. So I then rang reception to say towels had not arrived - "oh did you want them before you went out?" was the response. Eventually they arrived.

All these things make a difference and I think a little more direction from management would help sort these things out.

We had a really good weekend all in all and we were pretty relaxed about the 'faux pas' choosing to see the funny side of it but I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't. Would I stay there again, yes because the setting is lovely, so is the hotel, facilities are good and the rooms are good value for money but I would chose to eat elsewhere in the evening and I would make the most of the Fawlty Towers style breakfast experience!

Note to the hotel: Please get rid of those dreadful orange paper napkins at dinner!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

The grounds on which this hotel ia situated are gorgeous. The reception area was beautiful and reception staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We had an executive room overlooking the golf course which was extremely spacious but lacked a mini fridge!!! Which would have been very helpful as it was a hot day and had no where to keep our water cold.
We were booked in for 30min massages which unfortunately weren't very good. My partner said he barely felt the massage and fell asleep because he was bored! Although the spa staff were very helpful and friendly. We then enjoyed the suana, steam room, pool and jacuzzi, which was truly amazing. Their spa area is very impressive and we were provided with towels so we didn't have to use the ones from our room.
We were a little late for our dinner reservation but they were very accomodating and didn't make a fuss at all. Dinner was also lovely, very well presented although we did wait a while for our starters. The restaurant is small and intimate but very nice.
We had a full English Breakfast which was pleasent, nothing special but presented well.
Overall, a good experience and would not hesitate visiting again, although I'm not sure if I'd pay the extra £30 for a executive room, not really sure if it was worth it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BicesterHotel, Rooms Division Manager at Bicester Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this review, June 8, 2010
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay, it is lovely to hear some positive feedback which I shall pass onto the team here at Bicester Hotel, Golf & Spa.

I have passed on your comments about the massages to the Health Club & Spa General Manager who is looking into the matter. We usually have fantastic feedback about the range and quality of treatments we offer in the spa therefore this is something we will look into and avoid in the future.

I would welcome the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2010

Spent two nights at the Bicester Golf and Spa Hotel and were a little disappointed. The room was the largest hotel room ever stayed in and very modern and comfortable but lacked a mini fridge, robes and the little extras normally expected in a 4 star hotel. The reception staff were helpful but the restaurant where we had breakfast was more like a cafe and some of the food ran out by 9:30am. It was noisy and the waiting staff did not seem to enjoy their job. Breakfast was a poor affair. The hotel is in a lovely setting with gorgeous gardens and the pool and jacuzzi area was exceptional and not too busy. We spent the afternoon in the spa but did not feel we were given the best quality of service as first they got our bookings wrong so although we both asked for full manicures, could only be given mini manicures and were kept waiting. When booked we were meant to have treatments at the same time, but actually I had to wait and this lead to us being late to go out for the evening. It would also have been nice to be told when booking that there was building work going on at the time which spoilt the experience also.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank CharlieBuff
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Bicester Hotel, Golf & Spa.

We strive to achieve high levels of customer service, therefore it is disappointing to hear that you didn't enjoy the breakfast experience during your stay.

We pride ourselves on having fantastic bedrooms, all of which are well appointed and decorated to a high standard so I am pleased that you liked your large, modern bedroom.

I would like to apologise for the mistake with your manicure booking in the spa, I have passed on your comments to the Spa Manager who will look into this to avoid such errors from happening in the future.

I do hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Rachel Baldock

Travelers are raving about these Chesterton hotels

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2010

Impressive reception area, pool & spa. The appearance of the room, bar, lounge etc. was excellent, very clean and in good condition. Room was a good size and bed was very comfy. However, there were 2 of us in the room, but only 1 towel and no champagne on arrival which had been paid for. This was sorted out quickly though, the barman in the sports bar was not very friendly and the waiting staff didn't know what they were doing. All in all a relaxing stay, further work required on the service and restaurant front.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UkEva
BicesterHotel, Rooms Division Manager at Bicester Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this review, May 27, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Bicester Hotel, Golf & Spa.

I am pleased that you found the hotel impressive, clean and comfortable. I have passed your comments onto the relevant departmental managers who will look into your comments to identify where additional training is required.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2010

To sum up our two night weekend ( I actually had a list of about 20 complaints but decided to sum it all up) ; my husband with our 6 month old baby had an enjoyable stay even though clearly the hotel has teething problems and seems to be struggling a little to get to hold onto its 4 star status. It feels like a hotel that has refurbished itself and rebranded itself as an upmarket hotel and whilst it has maintained a focus on furnishing and fittings which are lovely (the executive bedrooms are comfortable, pillows and bedding luxurious, and bathrooms modern), it seems to be somewhat lacking in detail and additional comforts to make it that grading not to mention to make all the differerence in putting it self across as deserving of such a 4 star grading.For an example, the executive bedroom we stayed in did not have a mini bar, nor a dvd, full proper coffee/tea making facilites which is quite understandably poor considering a room is around £150+ b&b a night to give you an idea. That's quite a lot to ask for if you don't have additional comforts to offer. In addition, even though we booked on an additional package, we had to request our fruit basket and our robes and slippers which frankly is not something one should have to chase up in a hotel it should be there in the room. In addition, the menu seems to be a bit lacking in variety and certainly when ordering room service the food was never delivered in time (we spend approximately about on hour or more on most occassions waiting for an order (as we had a young baby we had ordered room service so most meals were taken in the room), and when it was finally delivery (even though staff were very apologetic) it was let down in presentation. Food was delivered on a brown tray with a paper napkin and what looked like a plastic microwave bowl over the food. It felt like the food could have been ordered from their downmarket Sportsbar rather than their supposed upmarked brasserie. As mentioned before, a main course would set you back about £16-£18. Having stayed in so many 4/5 star hotel establishments, I cannot see how it can be graded yet as 4 star or charge such high prices for a stay there if it isn't quite up scratch yet.. It is, afterall a golf and leisure resort, offering a good green to play on (emphasis is on play rather than length of course it is true, as the brochure states) and the newly developed spa with swimming area and gym excellent. However, the real problem with this hotel seems to be the processes which need to be looked at in order to make a stay far more enjoyable than it currently is. The staff seem to be a bit clueless and communication amongst themselves clearly lacking. There does not seem to be a front of house manager present or equivalent to take charge and to direct and guide guests so that their stay is an enjoyable one. The staff are friendly but that doesn't make a good hotel - there clearly needs to be someone guiding and making sure processes run smoothly in this hotel and of course to manage staff. We were in the restaurant for lunch, and a heated converation took place between two members of staff in the restaurant and then continuedinto the kitchen - all guests could hear it was that loud. As we mentioned, we encountered many problems, a large amount with room service. My husband had to ask room service several times to bring butter, coffee, toast that was missed off our breakfast/lunch dinner tray. Having to phone for such things that should not be missed off a tray is really quite unacceptable, as is having to wait up to 15 mins to get through to someone to report this and then waiting further to receive it. Overall, the hotel seems to be on the right track though it would certainly seem that it is leaving customers to complain about what is lacking or required having judged comments on this forum and the responses from management. I would certainly have to say Bicester Golf Club is far away yet from a deserving title, hopefully in the near future all the little problems and niggles will be sorted out and it would be able to truly command the prices they are expecting on their room rates and services. If not, it would be such a pity and I cannot see how they will survive in this current market where hotels and establishments are competiting so fiercely with one another. Good luck to them. Certainly, we won't be staying there till they get their act sorted out.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kathleen D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterton
Premier Inn Bicester Hotel
The Oxford Belfry
The Oxford Belfry
#2 of 2 in Milton Common
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,618 reviews

Been to Bicester Hotel, Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!