“Almost perfect.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Bledington B&B and Inns
London England
“Almost perfect.”
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Myself and my wife spent a midweek night here at the Kings Head after checking out several other hotels in the Cotswolds area.
Everything about this place is beautiful, from the room we had in the stables/barn area, tastefully decorated with a very comfy bed and fresh crisp linen, to the huge log burning fireplace in the main bar area. The beers on offer are well kept and tasty. If I had a gripe it would be the service we received that evening when we sat for dinner. It took around 30 minutes before we received the menu, then another 25 minutes before our order was taken. The couple sitting next to us had to keep asking the waitress for service and judging by their faces they were not at all amused. The food though was delicious, if a little pricey but we're from London so we are used to expensive dining. The breakfast was one of the best I've eaten in a hotel with several choices from buttered kippers, mushrooms on toast, cereal, delicious breads and jams thorough to an exceptional full English. All in all I would rate this hotel/pub a 9/10 for everything excluding the dining service for which I can only give a 6/10.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2011

My wife and I stayed in thiis lovely, friendly inn for the royal wedding weekend and could not have found a more ideal place to have enjoyed the event. This is a proper English country inn with friendly staff, a great selection of beer and wine and superb food. The owner had specifically bought in some fresh lobster as part of the celebration for the weekend which was beautifully cooked and presented as was all the other food we enjoyed. The staff were always friendly and helpful without being over attentive. We had a lovely room (Room 10) which was clean and stylish and we found it wasn't noisy despite the place being completely full.

We got chatting to some of the locals at the bar and it was really reassuring to know that this is a real local pub, not a tourist stop, but manages to combine this with the high quality you would expect from an expensive hotel. It does get quite busy in the evenings at the bar because of this but if you are sitting at a table you receive table service so my advice is to make sure you book restaurant tables before you arrive. We will definitely be returning and strongly recommend this lovely place.

Room Tip: Go for Room 10, it was really nice.
2 Thank timhall124
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2011

We have stayed in Bledington previously and enjoyed very good meals at the Hotel. In light of this experience, I booked a 4 night stay. Our stay can be summed up as follows:
1) Room in the courtyard - looked tried and jaded, total lack of housekeeping as the floor area had not been hoovered in 4 days!
2) No shower gel or shampoo after the first day of our stay
3)Food extremely expensive and average - on one night had to send the food back as the main course was inedible.
4)On our last night, my main course was served incorrectly three times i.e. a) Lobster was overcooked and resembled "rubber" b) Linguine was the wrong order c) Risotto - more broad bean than crab and texture was unappealing and appeared oreb like a plate of "mushy peas". Went to bed without any main course!
5)Bar area was taken over by locals serving behind the bar and some individual! was smoking in the pub and using extremely foul and offensive language.
6)Dogs allowed to roam around table areas and this for some diners was very unsettling and not expected.

To conclude, this establishment has seriously "dipped" in standard in the six months of our last visit.

We would not recommend this to any traveller based on our experience.

5 Thank skeabost10
kingshead100, Owner at The King's Head Inn, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
We in this business are used to dealing with all sorts of people but this couple took the biscuit for being down right miserable and fussy to an extreme . It was the Royal Wedding Day and the pub was festooned with bunting and everyone was having a merry time. We had lobster on the menu freshly delivered from the Channel Islands.We were killing them and grilling them to order. We served 25 half Lobsters with all the trimmings at £17 each ( not expensive ) Nearly everyone commented on how delicious they were and what a treat to have Fresh Lobster. This couple sent theirs back saying it was rubbery . They were the only people out of 25 to criticize the Lobster in any way.They then complained about everything else including dogs in the bar of our country pub. There is a dining room next door where dogs are not allowed . They are the sort of people , who if they cant be happy eating delicious fresh lobster on a day when the nation celebrates , that in my mind are spoilt and ignorant. If there was a website called CustomerAdvisor I would warn publicans throughout the Land to have them in your pub at your peril.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2011

Just home from a couple of nights at the Kings Head Inn, we found the staff very welcoming and hospitable, and our courtyard room was clean and comfortable with a very comfy bed and lovely linen. The food was great - our evening meal in the bar was one of the tastiest and best value pub meals I have had in ages. We found the pub in the 'Good Beer Guide' and were not disappointed by the beer either - 4 real ales on tap, all of them local and the bar staff were happy to offer a taste to help us decide. Would definately return.

nottingham
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I decided to stay at the Kings Head after I found their special offer on their website, what luck, I'm glad i browsed for the detail. The room was peaceful after deciding to stay on the extended building to the side of the pub. The staff were friendly and and service was always of high quality. Its location in the heart of the Cotswold's is to die for and I cant wait to come back.

Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2011

My Partner and i decided to try a samll tour of the Cotswolds, and found a delight in the Kings Head the sunday roast was a joy. With my pint of real ale which is obviuosly very well kept, and a good dinner with great service from the Kings Head staff we were overjoyed to see the famous Bledington ducks were by the brook which runs through the village. A great day out!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I booked a meal in the bar area for my husband and I with our two dogs. Whilst my food was nice my husbands beef was rare - not everyone likes meat bloody! to add insult it's was fatty and stringy! We told staff and they replaced but it but by the time it came back I had finished my meal, my husband had to ask for a knife and fork to eat his replacement meal with. Staff pleasant enough but need to be more welcoming especially upon reception - the girl just looked at me?........ What happened to meet n greet? I've had better welcome in a fast food chain or local chip shop!!! Think they have become complacent - it is not a dog friendly hotel either now as we did enquire about room rates and was told "no sorry our rooms have been carpeted now so no dogs allowed"

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Liggs18
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bledington
Lords of the Manor Hotel
Lords of the Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Upper Slaughter
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
The Old Stocks Inn
The Old Stocks Inn
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to The King's Head Inn? Share your experiences!