“Nice food. Reasonably priced. Friendly staff.”

The Fox & Hounds at Ardley
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Ardley
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Stopped here while staying at the nearby Travelodge and complex across the motorway. Food was pretty good. Very big portions. Pretty good value and the staff were friendly. Would recommend.

3  Thank Swimmerdude91
There are newer reviews for The Fox & Hounds at Ardley

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Like many other M40 travellers, we saw the pub's home-made sign-post at the last minute, and turned off the motorway. On the outside, the Fox and Hounds looks like a traditional English country hostelry. But inside, I discovered the best home-made chili I'd encountered since feasting regularly on the real thing in California.
Forget the usual pub menu of beef and ale pie, etc. One forkful of the chili and I imagined I was back in the sunshine and Mexican cuisine of Southern California. It was great. It was the real thing. But it was also hot stuff! One other luncher was heard calling urgently for a fire extinguisher. Is the English palate ready for this fiery treat, I wonder? The lady who served me said even the chilis were locally sourced.
But why, oh why, do English pubs insist on serving chili - even as authentic as this - on a dreadfully stodgy bed of rice? You should eat your chili straight from a bowl, with some little salty crackers to take the edge off the heat (Saltines).
I greatly enjoyed this unexpected treat. Meanwhile my partner, Jane was also tucking into a very non-rustic English dish - Cajun chicken with salad and French fries. She really liked this dish.
The service for the first drinks was slow, for which the lady apologised. Otherwise, the pub couldn't be faulted. Not only is the food reasonable and tasty, but the Fox and Hounds could be a good pull-in for Mexicans.

2  Thank Tovarisch
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Only 5mins by car from the Travelodge. Clean pleasant atmosphere and the food was good at a reasonable price.

2  Thank Arsenal4me
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Staying at the local Travelodge, we drove out of the services to find this little gem. A warm welcome from the staff and the real fire. The food was not cheap cheap, but when it came out, we realised why.....you will not go hungry. Our large plates were full, I had the beef pie, it was full of meat and very tasty. Well worth the £10ish price. The Landlady/ waitress was very attentive and caring. Would go there again in an instant......Well done.

2  Thank pensionersPlymouth
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We were on our way home from a long roadtrip and were pulling off the motorway to go to the services. Thankfully I saw the pub's little sign on the roundabout pointing in the direction away from the services and managed to yell to the hubby fast enough for him to change direction. We are happy we saw the sign as the food was lovely, proper home cooked pub food and plenty of it. It was nice and quiet for us as it was a late lunch and there was only one other table occupied.

1  Thank Fawnage