The Crown & Thistle
Orbitz.com
The Brewery Tap(Abingdon)
Dog House Hotel(Abingdon)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsroll top bathcar parkone way systembridal suiteold coaching inncobbled courtyardfree standing bathbar and restaurantfriends weddingair conposter bedseparate showerstand alone batheggs royalerestaurant visitcentral locationfantastic breakfast
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We booked a meal for 16 in a private room for our 50th wedding anniversary . The manager was very helpful and accommodating and the organisation went very smoothly. The staff on the day were polite and helpful and everyone agreed the food was delicious.We were given a beautiful bouquet by the hotel and the whole event was pleasurable from beginning to the end. Highly recommended.
W.A.S & J.Z S

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Whilst the grounds may be pretty (albeit in a fairly superficial way) the atmosphere of this place was something like a library crossed with a morgue. The staff were unpleasant, and entire experience not to be repeated. To add insult to injury, the wine is overpriced for the quality and the rooms were cold.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NickandVic_april2010
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Enjoyed a family evening on Friday night with an excellent meal followed by exciting live entertainment in a back bar by a local band The Undercovers. The Crown and Thistle has been known to the family for many years and were particularly impressed with the refurbishment. The icing on the cake was the very good service by staff in all departments. On the strength of last Friday night we have booked a lunchtime meal on Easter Sunday. Thank you all!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This is just the hotel if you want a nice short break, but don't want the price and hassle of Oxford.

My partner and needed to get away for an impromptu break. Our usual Oxford hotel was fully booked and we came across this by chance and thought we would try. We were not disappointed. It has that charming, shabby chic feel of a Hotel du Vin but 40% cheaper.

We stayed in room 2. I was originally concerned as this overlooks the main road - but the windows were sound proofed and passing traffic didn't disturb us. There was a bit of ambient noise from the pub courtyard, but not excessive (though this might be worse in summer or if there was a wedding party).

The room was great and the bathroom, with free standing roll top bath, was one of the most stylish I have encountered, with good quality towels and nice toiletries. Spotlessly clean with lovely hand chosen furniture and some charming antiques and curios gave thee room a individual / boutique feel. The hotel refurbishment was only completed last year and there were still a few snagging issues, such as the lighting levels - but most of these were already being addressed when I raised them with the receptionist.

I must also mention the staff - both of the receptionists and the guy who served our breakfast were great ambassadors for the hotel; friendly, confident and totally charming. Our breakfast (full English - good quality with good coffee and complimentary newspapers) was also excellent.

Abingdon is a nice town; we have been many times, both as weekend visitors and on our boat whilst holidaying on the Thames. It is a charming, English town, comfortable, at ease with itself and nice for a riverside walk, coffee in the town square, people watching and as a base for visiting Oxford and the Cotswolds, It has a super, family-owned Italian restaurant (Bella Napoli) which I have previously reviewed and where we are now greeted like old friends (even though we only go once or twice a year) where they still sell a traditional 'Filetto al Pepe Verde' for the same price as I pay my local Waitrose to buy a similar piece of meat!

The Crown & Thistle is a great addition - and at £145 for a really nice room, including breakfast, you really cannot go wrong.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ak23566
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I travel to Abingdon quite frequently and the new Crown & Thistle is a gem. Right in the center of the village with a well appointed bar, restaurant, and meeting area. Rooms and the entire facility have been completely renovated and they are first rate. Sort of like a Westin but with more character and charm. And how about this for customer service? I'm staying over the weekend for 2 days halfway through a 10 day business trip to UK and Europe. I need to get same day laundry service on a Saturday, and there are no options nearby, so I'm kind of stuck. The front desk clerk, Kate, volunteers to call around, finds a place a few miles away that will do it, and then offers to drop off my laundry there on her way home from work so I don't have to make a special trip and wait there for 2 hours. Wow. Impressive.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business