“Nice night out with friends”

The Nags Head On The Thames
Ranked #12 of 95 Restaurants in Abingdon
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Nice night out with friends”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Lovely food (if a little bit pricey). Great atmosphere. Love the way it's been done up since being taken over. The night we were there they had a soul/funk dj on which (for me) was fantastic. Looking forward to seeing how the riverside gardens have been done up in the summer.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank melanyk

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Major let down”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I completley agree with the current reviews.
This establishment is poorly managed with no attention to detail.

After hearing of the reopening, I came in for sunday lunch this afternoon. Now, I usually do not write reviews about places I have visited but I feel the need to express my opinion about this pub.

The service was slow and there were not enough options on the menu for my taste. The roast beef was overcoked along with the vegetables.

They could just be having a bad weekend...I will try them again when they have changed thier menus.

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank 7anna7
england
“Decor and service better than the food”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Visited on a Friday evening,we initially just went to this pub for a drink and sat on a lovely sofa by a warm fire. We decided this was a pleasant place and managed to get a table without a reservation but it was in a chilly corner by a traditional radiator that was cold and it had a tiny plug in heater next to it, not sufficient to make it warm. We now wish we had eaten in the bar area.
There was a fairly limited menu and as someone who does not eat red meat I had decided on the blackrock tuna, unusually for any restaurant the only chicken dish without other meat was a burger. Turns out that they had neither tuna or chicken as they had run out of both at approx 7.30 on a Friday evening! Not good enough. Had to resort to Fish and Chips which was average and overpriced.My partner enjoyed his duck breast main.
This place has an amazing location, friendly staff, pleasant decor but needs to sort out the food ordering and the heating if they want customers to return.

• Visited February 2013
“Could do better but has potential!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Four of us ate at the Nags Head last night. It's a nice place in a great location on the river, and the service was pretty good. The starters were delicious but tiny. When paying £9 for scallops you expect to get more than two! The salmon and lamb belly starters were also very nice but tiny portions, even for a starter. For main course two of us had burgers, one of which was well done and the other was barely cooked on the inside. One of us had the Sea Bream, very nicley cooked and presented but it was the smallest piece of fish I've ever seen. The final member of our party had the Black Rock Rump Steak which was very good. In summary the place is fine, the service is good, but it is not good value for money due to the very small portions, especially the starters. I would eat here again if I could be sure they'd increased the portions but not the prices!

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a little disappointing”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The bar is very nice and the variety of wines/beers is quite good although it could be a bit more extensive. The bar surroundings are very pleasant and welcoming but the music could be a bit more mellow. The restaurant food was just OK. Mushroom soup was great but the salmon appetizer's size is that of an amuse bouche. The gnocchi was overcooked but the mushroom stroganoff was rather good so...all in all a mixed experience that could do with a little smoothing around the edges. Service was good.

• Visited January 2013