“Lovely Sunday Lunch - Will Return” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Brewery Tap
Ranked #2 of 13 Abingdon B&B and Inns
Oxford
“Lovely Sunday Lunch - Will Return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

Been here a handful of times for Sunday lunch over the last year or so and never been disappointed so made a safe choice for mother’s day.

We had booked ahead of time and were shown to our table near a couple of other families and provided menus and asked for drink orders, I opted for beef and my parents both asked for the local roast gammon. We were tempted by the starters but knew the large portion sizes of the mains so resisted.
We didn’t have to wait long for our lunch, all three plates served at the same time, piping hot with 2 side dishes of fresh veg (swede, leeks in sauce and broccoli). I’d asked for extra gravy and was bought a large gravy boat full, lovely. Lunch looked lovely and tasted it too, everything was hot and fresh with veggies cooked well, not overdone.

Unfortunately whilst diving into my lunch I pulled a hair from my food which clearly hadn’t come from me, I quietly went to the bar and mentioned it to one of the staff who took my plate away, apologised and bought me a fresh plate as soon as was possible. OK, so it wasn’t ideal sat at mother’s day lunch with your parents with empty space in front of you whilst they are tucking into their meals; however the situation was dealt with very well. Another member of staff came over shortly after to apologise again and even offered a free dessert if I wanted one later.

After my new serving of lunch I continued with my roast beef and huge Yorkshire pudding, everything was great; also the beef is served with a small pot of homemade horseradish slaw, nice touch. I like the way a huge carrot complete with leaves and big parsnip have been roasted whole and served laid across the plates. The gammon came with pigs in blankets and stuffing which parents said were lovely.

We later managed to share a homemade chocolate and raspberry brownie, served warm with ice cream, it was gorgeous, shame it had big squirt of synthetic cream on the side of the plate, however the brownie had a very slight crust with gooey inside and was very tasty and not too heavy.

My parents, mainly my mum usually has something to complain about most places we go out to eat, happy to say that both parents like this place and as we finished our lunch I heard my dad say “I can’t fault this place”.

Room Tip: Best to book ahead if you want Sunday lunch
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed here for three nights while visiting relations nearby. Our room in this character old pub was huge – a suite really – with a big bathroom, which had an awkward height basin. While on the main drag through Abingdon the traffic noise was not intrusive. On Thursday night the noise from the bar, which was directly underneath the room, wasn’t bad either. However Friday and Saturday nights were different altogether with music and pub noise going on to 2:00am, although getting progressively quieter. The pub patrons, though, were not rowdy just chatty and the atmosphere in the pub was good with bar games being played and the several not large sections catering for different groups. Having learnt the form on Friday we stayed late in the bar on Saturday (not hard to do!) and went to bed and straight to sleep. Breakfast is a communal self help arrangement with packaged food in the fridge and a coffee machine which was all we wanted. The pub has its own small car park. Located right in the middle of town it is an easy walk to everywhere and regular buses to Oxford make it an alternative to staying in that town.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AgingSlowly
Vrsar, Croatia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Having read reviews for The Brewery, my friend and I looked forward to having lunch there. We had not booked a table and were in no hurry, but three times various tables became free and we were not allocated any of them although there was no reserved signs on them. For one and a half hours these tables were unoccupied, and finally we were sat in the back, well out of any atmosphere. Finally we decided to either be seated at the original table of our choice or leave. The young girls serving were extremely nice, but obviously a huge lack of communication with management. The food was absolutely not upto standard. The chicken liver pâté tasted of fish. The asparagus with poached egg was well undercooked and the egg over cooked. The wine was however excellent, choosing the Chardonay. We left and out of interest visited just down the road The White Horse, where we were met by very friendly staff, new owner and enjoyed a sample of their pate which was cheaper and tasted of chicken liver. Wine was very good and affordable. If time allowed us to eat again in the area, we would definitely choose the latter establishment.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Deborah227
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I have just enjoyed an excellent lunch at the Brewery Tap with a party of four colleagues. We all agreed that the quality of the food was excellent and great value for money! The chips in particular deserve a special mention....they are out of this world! Roaring fires, perfectly kept real ale and friendly staff make this a great place to lunch....Sadly, the kitchen is not open in the evening, which is a shame.

This is not a fine dining establishment but if you want a good honest lunch at reasonable prices you cant go wrong with this place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Joe B
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

My wife and 3 year old daughter had Sunday lunch at The Brewery tap. The restaurant was fully booked but they had one table left next to the fire which they let us have. The bar/restaurant is very cosy with a lovely open fire. The Sunday lunch menu had all of the usual favorites and had a good vegetarian option. The meals themselves were excellent as was the impeccable service from all members of staff.

This was the best Sunday lunch I have had in a long time and I would definitely go back. Remember to book!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bathtraveller_01
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

Great pub in central location with parking, lovely atmosphere with friendly and attentive staff, great choice of drinks and food.the rooms are excellent and decorated to a high standard. This pub is a hidden gem cannot wait to come back thanks again all

• Stayed November 2013
      Rooms
Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

Looks very ordinary but is very welcoming. Stone floors and old appearance inside but a lovely warm fire and very pleasant staff.
A really different and extensive menu eg white cabbage and sausage soup with lovely food carefully cooked.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
The Crown & Thistle
#4 of 5 in Abingdon
Premier Inn Oxford South (Didcot) Hotel
De Vere Oxford Thames
Hampton by Hilton Oxford Hotel

Been to The Brewery Tap? Share your experiences!