“Great Sunday Lunch”
Review of The Brewery Tap

The Brewery Tap
Ranked #3 of 12 Abingdon B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Thank you all for a great Sunday lunch.I took my wife and Mum out for lunch here on the recommendation of a local, and we were not disappointed.Food and service where first class and I would recomend a visit if you are in the area

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Brewery Tap

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stumbled across this lovely pub with a group of 12 friends and we had an incredible lunch and drinks.

The chips were the best I've had in the UK and the lovely staff made us feel welcome.
They even went out and bought tomato juice so that we could have bloody Mary's.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Becadams
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I stayed last night at the Brewery Tap and it was a good stay. I was made to feel welcome and shown to a really nice room. The bar itself was great and the one beer I tried (I had work to do, unfortunately) was great. I was surprised the bar didn't do full meals, so had to eat out. No issue in a nice town like Abingdon though.

Breakfast and check out was a little annoying though; I realised it was a small area with a help yourself continental buffet. The coffee machine didn't work though (it was really watery) and there was no one around to speak to around this. I had to go into town and get a coffee from a coffee shop. There was also no one to give the key to, so I had to just post it through the front door.

I'd stay again, breakfast and leaving was just a little disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed here last night visiting family and can't fault in anyway. Usually stay at the Crown and Thistle but as it is being refurbished, we had to find somewhere new - and what a find!!!! Beautiful rooms an although you don't get the full English you get at the Crown and Thistle, the spread put on for the buffet breakfast was unbelievable. Room cost us £88 and I don't know how they do it. It must be because they don't have to pay staff. Everything was laid out in a little area outside our room and we helped ourselves to anything from tea/coffee to bottled water, croissants, cheese, ham, fruit even Marmite (if you like that sort of thing!!!). We didn't have to pay a deposit just paid on arrival and we booked weeks ago.

Although it was quite loud from downstairs when we went to bed, this wasn't going on all night until silly o`clock and after a few scoops anyway we didn't notice. A nice touch were the ear plugs in the drawer but honestly, these weren't needed.

Will certainly be recommending and would visit again.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank helgeddaN
Reviewed July 12, 2013

It's rare that you find a place that you would recommend without hesitation. This is one if those rare places.

The Brewery Tap is consistently good. I've never received poor service once in the years I have been visiting, and the drinks, food, service and accommodation are exceptional and certainly worthy of the price.

While the pricing may be a bit steep, you do get good value for what you are paying. There are plenty of lower priced places around, but it still remains the busiest and friendliest place in Abingdon to visit.

The place is a credit to the family who run it, and who have a long history of being publicans and local business leaders.

Try everything, and if something isn't quite right, mention it.

You shouldn't leave here disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Went for Sunday Lunch.Lunch arrived with meat on the plate swimming in a glutinous mess described as gravy-i use the term advisedly)
When asked by the very pleasant waitress if everything was OK i remarked that it would have been nice to have the gravy in a gravy boat and then customers could put on as much as they want(or not)she said she would tell the chef.
When she returned i asked what the chef had said she shrugged her shoulders and said he had said nothing.
Our first and last visit to the Brewery Tap. Unless you like meals swimming in a mess do not go.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JANET P
Matthew H, Owner at The Brewery Tap, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Janet,

My family and I have spent nearly twenty years trying to make The Brewery Tap the best pub in the area and a big part of our effort is to listen to our customers. We were quite upset to read about your poor Sunday roast experience on Trip Advisor and we all wanted to convey to you our apologies.

Almost all of our customers seem to prefer lashings of gravy poured directly over the lunch but in reaction to your comments, we've added to the menu that customers may have the gravy served on the side if they wish.

Regarding the consistency and flavour of our gravy (beef and lamb varieties) we usually get great comments. It takes us two days to prepare, roasting the marrow bones and reducing the stock, but appreciate it might be a little too rich or thick for everyone's tastes. We do offer a lighter vegetarian gravy that might suit better, or the lighter pork gravy?

Lastly, I can assure you that Charlotte did let the chef know your comments but not until after service was closed and she should not have led you to believe that she was going to bring it to his attention during service.

I hope you find these further comments and our reactions suitable and it would be a pleasure to serve you again in the future.

Regards,

Matthew Heritage

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Haven't stayed but went for an excellent Sunday lunch, good selection, lots of local produce and really tasty, big portions too! Beers are decent though they don't seem to have loose cannon on that much anymore which is a shame, nice atmosphere in the evenings as well.

• Stayed: May 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Oxford Abingdon Hotel
Milton Hill, Abingdon
#1 of 1 in Steventon
Travelodge Oxford Abingdon Road Hotel
Hampton by Hilton Oxford Hotel

Been to The Brewery Tap? Share your experiences!