“Pleasant Hotel”

Oxford Abingdon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Abingdon
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Nice clean and tidy hotel in pleasant setting, easy walking distance to town centre. Friendly and helpful staff. Our room was on the ground floor and in need of a bit of an update. Comfortable bed, 2 armchairs and small table. Tea and Coffee making facilities including biscuits. Toiletries provided but no hairdryer in room. We were there over a very hot weekend, no air con but fans were being provided on request. Our room faced the busy main road so was rather noisy with the windows open. Nice general sitting area in main lobby, with tv. Good bar and bar food. Good evening meal in restaurant at a reasonable cost. Nice to sit in garden in evening. Excellent buffet breakfast. All in all a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing away from the main road.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

75 euros for one night was too much to pay for this hotel.

Staff were friendly and welcoming. However, the room was dated, and very worn - scuffed paintwork, scratched furniture and tracks in the carpet from excessive use. It was clean (I think ... I spotted a copy of the room service menu under the bed!)

Plumbing is noisy - the pipework made an incredibly loud noise every time I flushed the toilet - which must have been great fun for the rooms around me! Traffic noise is not a problem if the windows are shut. I stayed on the ground floor, and would not feel safe keeping the windows open while asleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor if you want to keep windows open safely.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed in this hotel on a weekend and initially we were looking for a hotel within the vicinity of Oxford, however due to being a busy weekend the prices were from about £130 upwards for most hotels. We managed to get this hotel for £69 which is a bargain considering peak time in a tourist hotspot. Reading some of the reviews I was a tad apprehensive and thought we would just have to bear it as it was cheap type of thing.

I am pleased to say the hotel was very nice. The staff were very friendly and accommodating on arrival and if we needed anything during the stay and we just called reception and they brought to us whatever we needed. The hotel room was nice and cool despite the recent hot weather and despite there was no air con or fan. The room was the more basic one judging on some of the rooms we saw when being cleaned, the more expensive ones look a good size and nicely decorated, however saying that our room was perfectly nice for the money considering you would be hard pushed to find a Premier Inn for that price.

Breakfast is nearly an extra £10 so we didn't bother with that, a taxi into Oxford was £18 to the City Centre and £25 return (after midnight) so perhaps factor that into the cost of the room, however as there was 4 of us it worked out reasonable.

Only disappointment was the laundry trolleys that were being filled up and moved about outside the window (metal trolleys) reasonably early on a Sunday morning were very very noisy which annoyed us a bit. Apart from that room was good, quiet and clean. A couple of items were looking a bit tired but nothing major.

I would stay here again if wanting to avoid £130+ prices just to be 'in' Oxford even though you still have to get a cab on top of that.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Nice clean hotel with good parking facilities. We had an upstairs room which was clean and comfortable, tea and coffee facilities were spot on as was the bathroom! Due to this years hot summer it was VERY WARM upstairs and we needed an electric fan. Housekeeping brought us a suitable fan within 5 minutes of our request....lifesavers. Breakfast was adequate and was self service, the evening meal however left a lot to be desired. We can thoroughly recommend The Beefeater Inn just down the rd!!.,
The twin beds were really comfortable but we were kept awake by " boy racers " out on the main rd.
Would we stay here again.........Yes, the positives far outweighed the negatives!

Room Tip: Low floor if stairs are a problem as there is no lift!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Slightly expensive for what it is, especially as there is no air conditioning. Hotel supplied a fan on request, but with windows open it was too noisy and with them closed it was too hot. Rooms pleasant and reasonably furnished although some furniture rather dated (Stag Minstrel that I have had for 40 years). Breakfast good, staff friendly and helpful although reception did not have the local bus timetable. Nice outside area for a meal, although I suspect mostly set aside for smokers so maybe a put-off! Free Wi-Fi worked OK but at times limited the facilities available - at one point WhatsApp was not permissible.
One of the adjacent rooms had a door that closed with a load bang that was disturbing during the night, and although it did not affect the stay, the toilet cistern ball cock did not shut off an water overflowed into the bowl constantly.
I would go again, although I would try for something cheaper but of the same standard first - or a better deal and make sure it was not mid-summer!

Room Tip: Difficult to choose as it's got a busy road both sides
1  Thank Robert T
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I stayed one night in the Oxford Abingdon Four Pillars Hotel. It was a hot day in the area, and the room had no air conditioned and the windows did not open more than a fist's width. It was stifling.
The WiFi essentially didn't work. It would come and go, mostly go.
The room was clean. The bed was fine. The room had a very dated look and looked a bit like a nursing home.
I was not impressed looking at the menu of the hotel, so I took a cab to the Oxford City Center. Going there it costs me 20 pounds and returning to this hotel cost 23 pounds.
I was staying on the 2nd floor. I had a heavy suitcase, especially after a very long day. I did not see a lift, and if there was one, the staff did not point me to it. They directed me to the steps and I just lugged my suitcase up myself.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We booked this hotel for Sat July 12 to break up the journey from Newcastle to Southampton and to visit Highclere Castle. Neither the hotel or Highclere worked out. Basically we spent a night in ratty hotel and paid 4 star price.When we arrived at the hotel we asked about getting into Oxford, we were told we could walk 10 minutes to Oxford along the River path - HA Ha - more like 30 minutes and over rough terrain. Oxford was heaving with tourists.The hotel rooms were dank and miserable and hot as hell - no A/C and overnight as it was approx 25c we were sweating and the room had natural air except the windows and the noise from traffic was terrible. The bathroom had a dirty sink and mold and mildew around the tub/shower. The toilet handle was actually broken, it was coming off and one had to push it in the flush the loo.I would say don't stay here. If it was 40 pounds a night, then go for it and get what you paid. The sister hotel along the way was a much nicer looking place, however that was full and I mistakenly thought that the hotel in Abingdon would be OK - BIG MISTAKE. Don't go there unless you want to be taken for a mug. Don't go to Highclere unless you have a pre paid ticket - even then - it was heaving with people --- way oversold.. I saw in TA that someone paid $60 pounds, for this hotel well that was all it was worth - unfortunately we paid the going rate of 129 pounds and got totally ripped off. I would NEVER stay at a PILLAR hotel again. We were pleased to get out and on our way.

Room Tip: The noise from the road is really loud and the hotel was almost empty. We could hear traffic all nig...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
The Crown & Thistle
#1 of 1 in Steventon
De Vere Oxford Thames
5 mi away
Travelodge Oxford Abingdon Road Hotel

Been to Oxford Abingdon Hotel? Share your experiences!