“Slow, Slow, Slow” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oxford Abingdon Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Oxford Abingdon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Abingdon
Billinge
“Slow, Slow, Slow”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Firstly, the room........... smelled stale (which is why the cleaners opened your windows every time they came in to clean it) however, the cleaners were always thorough. The rooms though are outdated and worn and are in great need of an upgrade (felt like i was in a 2 * hotel due to decor etc) Staff were always helpful though both on reception and in the bar.

Due to staying on the board basis of dinner, bed and breakfast my main concern was how good/bad the food was going to be. Breakfast was not great tbh i tended to stick to cereals and fruit (although there wasnt a great deal of fruit to choose from). Evening meals from Sunday though to Wednesday night were beautiful (from the chefs special to the steak pie) but then on Thursday night (my last supper as it were) and the chef had changed...........well what a LET DOWN. The steak was burnt, the mash was so far from edible i had to complain and my friends ordered burgers (chargrilled to black) and the tagliatelle was tasteless. Whoever the chef was on Thursday was no where near as good as the chef prior to that or even close to being on par with him. I hope the hotel take note of this.

I would not stay here again i would stay at the 'sister' hotel (four pillars Thames) which has a lovely bar, rooms and has a gym with pool, sauna steam room etc.

Room Tip: Ask for one that has been renovated (however they arent MUCH better than the others)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that all elements of your stay were not satisfactory. We are currently finishing a refresh of the upgraded rooms in the hotel and once this is complete we will begin reviewing the standard rooms. I am pleased you found the rooms clean.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the evening meal on the last night of your stay. I will ensure our Head Chef sees your comments and I will ask him to investigate further.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Ben Sanders

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed in the hotel on a business trip, for three nights. The room was very dated, shabby, in need of a proper clean, and noisy because there was a road just by the hotel. The bed was the most uncomfortable I've ever slept in. Dinner was adequate but nothing exciting and I didn't think it was worth the money. The reception staff weren't really nice or helpful. On a more positive note, breakfast was nice, plentiful and the restaurant staff were nice. There was also a safe (free of charge) in the room and the room was of a decent size. All in all, the stay wasn't a particularly nice experience and I simply couldn't wait to check out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
BenSandersGM, General Manager at Oxford Abingdon Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your experience was not up to the standard that you and I alike would expect. I will personally investigate the comments you have raised regarding the cleanliness of the room and condition of the bed.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the restaurant staff and breakfast offering. Should you wish to discuss your stay with us further please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Ben Sanders

Travelers are raving about these Abingdon hotels

Cork Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

The room I stayed in looked nothing like those on the internet site. It was tired and dated and in need of a refurb. When I came back home I actually had to check the internet again to ensure I had looked at the right site. Couldn't believe it. Maybe I just got an old room.
I found the waiting staff to be quite unhelpful during breakfast. The service was poor and the choice quite basic.

Room Tip: there was no lift to my first floor bedroom so I struggled with a heavy case. try to get a room on t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay with us. After reading your comments I have reviewed the photos on our website and I can confirm that they are a true representation of our bedrooms.

I am sure you will be pleased to know that we are in the process of refreshing our connoisseur rooms with over ¾ of these rooms now completed. Once all of our rooms have been completed we will upload new photographs on to the website.

I will pass on your comments regarding the restaurant staff to the Food & Beverage Supervisors to ensure that corrective training can be given where necessary. I am sorry if any member of the team came across as unhelpful.

Whilst we do not have a lift at the hotel we do offer luggage assistance to all guests checking into the hotel whether their rooms be on the first floor or not.

Cardiff
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed here for a Sunday night but as we went out almost as soon as we arrived and returned after midnight can't comment much except to say room was good, clean, quiet and bed was comfortable. Very few guests staying so inconclusive. Breakfast perfectly acceptable with good coffee.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

I recently had my wedding here and I couldn't fault a thing. The staff were all helpful, friendly and hard working. Kerry (the Wedding Planner) was very accomodating and organised everything perfectly. The food was tasty and filling, the rooms were clean, spacious and very comfortable. Everyone had a wonderful time and no complaints (unheard of at any wedding I've known), well done!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

My daughter's wedding was held at the hotel on Sunday 26 August. Everything that the hotel did was perfectly executed by Kerry (their Wedding Planner) and her staff. They were polite, friendly and speedy in their work all day. The whole event went without a hitch due to Kerry and her team - I highly recommend them. Nothing was too much trouble for Kerry, she is excellent.
The hotel rooms and breakfast etc were very acceptable and of good quality. I would definitely give the hotel 5 Stars for Value For Money and the quality of their staff.

Stayed August 2012
Deeside, north Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Nice hotel, the waiter was lovely and helpful. and got me fresh milk for my room Room was big and clean. Bit fiddly getting into the room but Housekeeping were great. Good car parking. Would stay again. if in the area. Breakfast was nice, could have been a little hotter but it was still ok.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Gill B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abingdon
Premier Inn Abingdon Hotel
Oxford Spires Hotel
Oxford Spires Hotel
#12 of 44 in Oxford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,616 reviews

Been to Oxford Abingdon Hotel? Share your experiences!