“'Good' new find”
Review of The Flowing Well

The Flowing Well
Reserve with OpenTable
The Flowing Well is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 93 Restaurants in Abingdon
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Oxford, United Kingdom
“'Good' new find”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I found this place yesterday after looking at somewhere to go for dinner that accepted Taste Card. We ususally head into Oxford center, but this place had great reviews on here so I booked a table.

It a very nice 'gastropub', more gastro than pub, but we wanted food, so I was happy with that. Unfortunately it was very quiet, we arrived at 7.30 and were the second table, in quite a large dining area, it was lacking a little atmosphere.

The service was fantastic, I didn't catch the American waitresses name, but she welcomming, keen to explain the beers, menu and specials, and offered some great advice - really good service.

As for the food, this is where there was a slight negative - but for me, the most important aspect. Though I am being little picky as I expected more. For starters the scallops with beetroot were a little bland and the squid was served with mayo from a bottle - a more interesting sauce would have added much more to the dish. For main, the BBQ ribs were good, a great large portion with a really good home made coleslaw, though again I think the sauce was from a bottle, and would have been better if homemade. The pie which was recommended was again good, a little soggy bottom, but I'm just being a bit picky too be honest.

All in all, a fantastic place, great service with good food. A nice trip and I would definately return - especilly with the use of the Taste card which gives 50% off all food, so starters, mains, a pint of bath Gem & Large Glass of Sauv Blanc came to £30

• Visited January 2013

oxford
“Lovely, good value pub with friendly welcome”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have lived near Oxford for 20 years and we have never been to the Flowing Well - was surprised to see it so high up on the Tripadvisor list so tried it with some friends one lunchtime over the holiday period. The staff were very welcoming, good menu with a wide choice of smaller dishes eg soup, salads to mains such as pheasant with parmesan and bacon mash, lamb, apple and sage pie. All our food was delicious and we sat in the bar area near a roaring fire. Highly recommended!

Oxford
“disappointing christmas dinner”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

very average food,only one vegetable with turkey meal,cold meat,staff scrubbing up before end of meal-felt as though we had overstayed.staff dropped plates and leftovers on floor and found it hilarious...... will not eat there again.....

oxon
“Should have visited before”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Thursday night supper, avoiding open mic night and mid week quiz. Absolutely superb, ribs, pie, cod and sea bass. Fish in particular was excellent. Over indulgent with crumble and sticky toffee to finish.
What a transformation, the Flowing Well has a decent comfortable bar and the dining room is nicely laid out. Food and service was very good and we will go back soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great food, friendly staff.”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I had the best salad I've had in ages this lunchtime. The staff were friendly & the place, charming.

• Visited November 2012