“Good food but a lick of paint and new carpets would go a long way”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Spread Eagle

The Spread Eagle
Ranked #20 of 93 Restaurants in Abingdon
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Good food but a lick of paint and new carpets would go a long way”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Each time we have been in here the food has been delicious. My partner and thouroughly enjoy the safari meats between the two of us. The 1st time the service did not match up with this as we were given no check backs and I wanted additional sauces. However on the visit today I am pleased to say this was not the case. Both waitresses that we had tonight were attentive, friendly and easily approachable. The food was delicious, and the sides of sauces were plentiful. One thing I believe that this place needs though to make it more appealing would be a bit of paint and some new carpet. It's a little dated and gives an impression of just being a drinkers pub. It is so much more than that. But overall we thouroughly enjoyed our meal

• Visited August 2013

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Unique experience but not as good as the hype.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

The exiting thing about this restaurant is that is offers strange meats from Africa and the likes and offers good options for meals where you can try a variety. Overall the food was very good and combined with good service, however I think that this restaurant is massively overrated because of what it sells. It is effectively a nice bar restaurant and has that sort of atmosphere about it. If you aren't interested in tasting Zebra or Crocodile then its not really worth the visit.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Katie187046
“very good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

We visited with several friends as always the food was good and a large choice to please everyone. I had the Hot Stone which is good way to cook your Steak
Margaret S Abingdon on Thames

Visited November 2012
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Friendly atmosphere with great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

We happened to be looking around Abingdon College on Wednesday evening last week, and we thought we would finish off the day with a meal in the lovely looking pub down the road, The Spread Eagle.

Although it was quite busy due to an Aunt Sally competition we were greeted by a very friendly, smiley lady behind the bar (I think she may have been the manageress, but not sure). She was able to provide us with a table for dinner (although we hadn't booked) and we were overjoyed to see such a varied menu. I don't eat meat but my partner does, so was really pleased to see so many options for both of us, which I often find unusual in pub restaurants.

The service was speedy in spite of the fact that they were busy, the food was delicious and the service courteous. I can highly recommend the 3 Rock grilled prawn skewers! This was all served with a beautiful crisp white wine (can't remember the name though) in spotless, shiny glasses....lovely.

Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable evening and one I hope to be repeating on a regular basis. Thank you!

• Visited May 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Staff hygiene and training on how to pull a pint is very poor.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Went there last week to be served by the apparent manageress, who whilst pouring the beer held the glass by the rim I’m about to drink from, Ok I thought a nice pub like this hygiene will be of the highest standard until she poured another drink for a restaurant customer. She slopped most of the drink on the floor carrying it to the other customers table and then continued to lick her fingers on the way back to bar before placing them in another customers glass and pouring them a drink (held by the very rim he was about to drink from again)
You can see into the kitchen which is great and it’s basic so you know the food will be the same and I also witnessed her in the kitchen eating from the table and from customers plates prior to them being brought out and again straight back into the bar serving drinks without washing her hands.
At no point during the evening watching did I see any of the staff wash their hands or make any attempt to clean the now very sticky bar I thought about commenting but didn’t want to risk having my beer spat in. Let’s just say I would eat there guys

• Visited April 2013