“A very good 2 night stay”

Best Western Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Worksop
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Never been to Worksop before and had no desire too either but buying the deal from groupon made us go and see. We were not dissapointed in the market town and especially the hotel. What a joy to stay there, staff were friendly and extremely helpful, to the extent that when I requested a quiet room they fully cooperated and we got one. The room was excellent and all the facilities clean and comfortable. The food we had in the hotel was not only good it was really good value for money. Railway station 15mins walk which we used to go to Lincoln, could also go to Sheffield but Lincoln won. Would definitely use this hotel again

Room Tip: Ask for the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Spent a nice weekend in worksop staying at the lion hotel. The staff were very efficient and friendly, room and facilities were fine. On the 1st evening we dined in 114 grill and whilst the food was good the service was very slow which spoiled the evening. On the 2nd evening we dined in 108 restaurant again the food was very good and the prices reasonable but the service was so slow. Four tables taken in restaurant (8 people) but it took 1 hour and 5 minutes before our starter arrived. The main course was also slow to be served.Time got the better of us so no sweets ordered. The staff apologised for the poor service, offered complimentary drinks and a discount on the meal price and stated there was a function in an adjoining room. We would stay at the hotel again but next time maybe we eat out.

Room Tip: room 205 on front of hotel but was very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joyce D
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Good value for money but there are times when you would pay more for better. My first room, noisy burtreception called on the room phone asking was it all ok? I mentioned "noisy" so quick as you like they changed my room. Be careful what you wish for- next room smelled musty and horrid but was massive. Worn furniture and a sleepless night due to blue flashing tv light that could not be turned off, vent outside humming all night and a spring ridden mattress that has left me indented for a few days. Got an hours sleep all night. Breakfast at 8.50am. Due to being completely worn out with no sleep. Fell asleep at 8.00am ( Sod's law). Girl in bar " made me feel uncomfortable" as late for breakfast at 8.50am? Asked for two poached eggs soft with sausage and mushroom - they brought two breakfasts as chef made error. I would rather have had none as the eggs were really hard and the whole lot was stewed and no freshness at all. Cups of tea was nice. Although these guys tried and it is a 3 star hotel it was disappointing. No problem with the price but I would have liked a good sleep and a decent breakfast - both did not happen. Good points were excellent staff on reception and duty manager on the night.Room was not really clean to be honest and I felt a bit like I had to put a towel on the sofa to sit down. Chef was not on the ball that morning but waiting staff really pleasant. Weigh it up, for 3 star perhaps it gets by. The staff carry the place as the facility is not really up to any quality but it is not expensive. If I go back, and I would, I would like a better mattress, cleaner room and properly cooked breakfast. The rest is fine for the 3 star rating.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dwinsal
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had an executive room and found it spacious and comfortable with a reasonably sized t.v. The bathroom had a shower and a bath. All the staff very helpful and friendly. Good choice of breakfasts. Just missed the car parking sign round the backk when we first went in as we were so busy looking for the car park!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Obviously recently and tastefully totally refurbished throughoiut.
Town centre location not a problem with adequate hotel and public parking. Saturday night stay, no city centre problems.
Room excellent, food in restaurant very good and well presented.
We stayed on a pre-paid DB&B basis and it was extremely good value - the dinner was own choice from the full menu.
All staff very keen to be of assistance.
The only criticism we had was no availability of any nuts or other nibbles - paid for or provided - whilst ordering dinner over pre-dinner drinks. Only thing they could offer was a bag of crisps emptied into a bowl - and cahrgeable (!).

Room Tip: Pre pay the DB&B rate if you can - excellent value!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night mid week for business.

The welcome was excellent. Room was a good size very clean and nicely appointed. Fan, trouser press, kettle, phone, flat screen tv with freeview and sky sports. Comfy bed. Good power shower above the bath.

Breakfast served in their very comfortable and stylish dining room. Excellent quality. Car parking available and near to centre of worksop.

Excellent stay. Good value. Will definately return.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank gdnumber1
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I have just returned from three weeks at the best western lion hotel and felt the need to post a review for the first time. The hotel could not have been more accommodating, the staff were friendly but professional throughout my visit and nothing was too much trouble for them. As I was there for three weeks with work i found that I had tried most of the dishes off the two menus so the kitchen were more than happy to make alternative dishes for me as long as I let them know the night before, there are not many hotels that would do this for you. They even ordered in my favourite desperados on the bar for me after a passing conversation with Dorian the friendly bar man.

All the staff were friendly and professional and were happy to stop what they were doing to chat with me and make suggestions of things to do in the local area. They always greeted me with my name which made me feel welcome and listened to how my day had been compare to the hollow questions you can sometimes be asked in hotels where you know that your response is not being listened too.

I left the hotel on Friday to found fair well from Lucy in breakfast who greets you with a warm smile in the morning and wishes of a safe journey from Jaye and Abi on reception with a Crunchy that are available for free on reception as I was informed to help bring on that 'Friday Feeling'.

I felt compelled after such a great stay to come on here and pass on my thoughts of the hotel. I was somewhat surprised when i logged in to see the previous review posted about the hotel as I experienced none of this and I stayed at the hotel during the same time period so not sure which hotel they staying in but does not sound like the same one that I was in, thats for sure. I was even late down for breakfast on Wednesday and although the breakfast room was closed I still received a full cooked breakfast in the cosy front bar with Emma even asking if she could bring anything from the continental buffet for me.

I am back in Worksop again in November and I am actually looking forward to returning to the hotel.

Room Tip: there is no gym at the hotel but you can use a local gym just down the road which has good opening h...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank damian d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Worksop
Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa
Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant
Travelodge Worksop
Travelodge Worksop
#4 of 6 in Worksop

Been to Best Western Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!