“Lovely place, nice menu”

The Pheasantry Brewery
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Lovely place, nice menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Pheasantry is a lovely barn conversion to brewery and restaurant, very tastefully done and in a lovely location.
This was my second visit, this time for Sunday lunch. Service started off very well, welcoming smiles etc and quick to take our orders for drinks and food. Nice menu however would have liked to have seen a few of the regular in week items on there as well such as their superb burgers to suit younger family members, instead we were restricted to the few items on the Sunday menu.
Food beautifully presented, however the samphire with my rather small sea bream fillet had been pan fried which made it very woody and difficult to chew - personally I think samphire should be steamed. The roast beef, was I am told lovely, slightly rare, and the chicken breast with stilton and asparagus was well received too.
Unfortunately service then became very slow and after quite some time I had to ask for the desert menu consequently our deserts were very slow to arrive and then didn't arrive together. Strawberries with chantilly cream and shortbread very disappointing, far too much vanilla and my shortbread was under cooked and far too thick, this overpowered the few strawberries I had. This is prime local strawberry season and I really feel this could have been better on several angles.
All in all a lovely place, nice menu but a bit overpriced for what we experienced on this occasion

Retford, United Kingdom
“Another superb dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

We visited The Pheasantry for a light lunch as well the opportunity to sample the Dragonfly and Best bitter. The menu offers a wide choice from salads to full meals. Our baguettes were all delicious, served on fresh crusty bread and garnished with a side salad and crisps. Our choices of hot beef, smoked salmon with lemon and dill mayonnaise and sausage and Stilton are all highly recommended. A delicious, but really unnecessary, side order of homemade fries completed the meal. Sadly we had no room to sample the desserts as the baguettes were very filling. As ever, we found the staff to be welcoming and efficient. It is wonderful to see that the hard work of the owners and staff is being recognised by increasing numbers of diners, as well as visitors to the brewery itself. This place really deserves to do well.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

I ordered the fish and chips and from the details on the menu my thoughts of the dish was in high standards lovely food great front of house staff fantastic beers a 10/10 anyway!!

1 Thank Kettlerbutler
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Small overpriced portions”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Shame about the food as the brewery is in a nice setting. The restaurant is very pleasant but the food lets it down. We had crab for starter, it was nicely presented but a miniscule portion. The main meal was not much better. We left the premises feeling ripped off and still hungry. Would recommend to visit for a drink but not to eat as the food does not offer value for money. I cannot remember the last time I had to go home and eat after having a meal out!!

Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“Very good lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were passing and stopped for lunch. We were visiting the area and this was a great find for lunch. Not only brewing their own beers but a very good restaurant. We had the haddock and burger and the burger was one of the best I have tasted. Staff were polite and very helpful. Would go again, perhaps try the evening menu

1 Thank dalestorth