“Good - needs some tweaking to be really good”

The Pheasantry Brewery
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We really liked the atmosphere of this place, relaxed, modern & comfortable. The menu is varied & also offers a kids menu. We ordered pasta, burger & steak. The pasta was very tasty indeed, the burger was tasty although the top of the bun was too dry but the steak was awful ... very fatty & chewy. We would return because we liked this place a lot & would not order steak again unless the quality is improved - change of supplier needed. One other observation was of a female chef who walked through the restaurant a number of times in the most filthy chefs uniform that I have ever seen - not a good advert & very off-putting when you are eating there - please have a word. However I do think this place is going to be great & once these little errors are corrected they will be on to a winner - good luck.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I went for a meal here in february with a friend and the food was not brilliant for me although my friend had the fish and chips which she said was ok but the chips were drowned in salt. I had the steak and ale pie but the steak was fatty and the pie crust was rather hard... i cant fault the lady behind the bar who served us and she did listen to my complaints but i'm afraid i Wont be going back anytime soon until the food improves.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Took my wife and daughter for a midweek lunch and we all really enjoyed the experience. I generally drink red wine but tried the Best Bitter which I found really nice so had a second. We had three different mains and all were excellent, I chose the fish and chips which were the best I had tasted for a long while. My wife had the lemon sole which she really enjoyed and my daughter had the risotto which was also lovely. It was a bitterly cold day but nice and warm inside. The staff were very pleasant. We will certainly go again and would happily recommend it.

1  Thank NottsDiyman
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We dropped in for a family lunch after being given vouchers as a Christmas present. Relaxed and informal atmosphere. The roast beef was probably the best I have ever tasted. You could cut it like butter. My wife said the salmon was beautifully cooked. Service was great and friendly. The beer was superb. Will be back.

1  Thank Lawson M
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have to score a two simply based on the beer and the fact that my husband didn't dislike it as much as me (He doesn't mind near stale bread). However, the food was a huge disappointment and the service not the best. There was a young lady behind the bar who was great, she was friendly, polite and clear spoken. The young man was not. Every time he walked past he barged into me, we had to ask him to repeat himself 3 times as he was so quiet and other customers were having similar problems. In his defence the radio playing behind the bar was very loud so for someone who mumbles it wasn't a good combination.

We ordered a meat sharing platter with pickles and bread and a side of chips. The chips were sadly drowned in salt, so much so that I had to spit one out into my napkin. The pickles consisted of a watery homemade chutney that was unpleasant and a pot of gherkins, no idea if they were good as I don't like them so didn't try, neither does my husband. The bread was mainly heel ends that were very tough, almost stale. No butter or anything moist to help except for the watery chutney which was not an option. The meat was ok, nothing special, just a slice of ham, slice of possibly parma ham and a terrine that was very bland. The pork pie was good.

All in all I was extremely disappointed. The visit cost near £20, most of which was left. I really can't understand why this place is so busy based on this visit. Local pubs sell the beer, that is well worth drinking but we won't be returning here in a hurry for the food. Off to make a sandwich now as I am hungry.

1  Thank Kesira