“Freezing cold!”

The Pheasantry Brewery
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Just returned from this restaurant today after celebrating a friend's birthday here. We were put upstairs as we were a party of eleven and it was freezing cold. There were several portable heaters dotted around (with their flexes, ready for us to trip over) yet it did really nothing to heat up the space.
We complained to the manager who offered to seat us in the downstairs area on separate tables (not ideal for a birthday party), so they gave us a miniscule amount off the bill instead. We thought someone should have come up to us to apologise and at least offer us all a round of hot drinks!!
From the minute we walked in, we were not greeted and no one took our drinks orders for ages. The food took over an hour to reach the table and although it was well presented, it was lukewarm. Considering the fact that this is a more pricey place to eat in this area, the service was poor, the heating system was not installed (!!), the food was just slightly above average and I would strongly recommend that people give this place a wide berth until the summer perhaps?! No paying clients should be seated in that area upstairs in the winter.

1  Thank Elizabeth P
Mary E, Owner at The Pheasantry Brewery, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

We apologise for the temperature. As you know, this is our first winter and this was the coldest day so far. Prior to this day the temperature has been fine upstairs so this was the first time the problem had arisen. The portable heating is a temporary measure and we are planning to immediately fully glaze the mezzanine area and introduce a permanent heating solution. The main restaurant is always warm and is fully insulated. The mezzanine area is situated within the the renovated threshing barn and overloooks the farm fields and the brewery, introducing the glazing will both resolve issues on cold days and make this area a bit more private for diners and parties. We apologise again for temperature and hope that you will find time to vist us again some time.

There are newer reviews for The Pheasantry Brewery

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Just had a meal to celebrate a friends birthday.
We were seated upstairs at a long table.but unfortunately for us,every time the main door downstairs opened, we were on the receiving end of the rush of cold air . Temperature,2C outside..

This made our 2hours of dining very uncomfortable,so much so, we requested a heater be brought up..

I haven't ever eaten anywhere so cold before... I needed my coat on throughout the meal.

The food was nice... Although it did take a while to order and receive our food..
You feel a little forgotten upstairs.

Don't think I'll go back as we were a little dissapointed that they charged us for coffee!!! We needed it to warm up.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Hi there, my fiance and I have just returned from a fantastic visit to The Pheasantry Brewery at East Markham. We had the "whole package"... something that is so rare to find these days. The decor is great with a wonderful buzz about the place. The staff were amazing, nothing was too much trouble, looking after the client and also the business, a joy to see these days. We had the rib eye steak, cooked to perfection, and delicious fish and home made chips, followed by yummy chocolate fondant puddings. We travelled 30 miles to dine here, we are so pleased we did..we will return.

1  Thank georgina014
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We went with some friends for the early evening meal, and we were all really impressed. In fact, the fish and chips were the best I have ever tasted - the batter was so thin and crispy and the fish delicious and fresh, with home made chips. We shared 2 ham hock terrines between four of us as a starter, and they were such big portions, we were glad we shared! This was also delicious. My partner had the mussels as a main course, which she said were excellent and in a very tasty sauce. The ladies raved about the chocolate fondant pudding - "a yummy hot chocolate pudding, served with a fantastic white chocolate mousse". The Pale Ale and the wine was very good too. We thought the meal was excellent value for money, particularly for the high quality of the food, in a beautiful setting. I know my friends have already recommended it to their friends, and I will too.

1  Thank Phil_D680
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Hi all, I have just returned from a visit to the Pheasantry brewery for Sunday lunch.
The setting of the place and the building and decor were all good, we ordered drinks from the bar and two of the three of our party ordered starters, so far so good.
We all ordered the beef for main course, which at £13.00 per portion and given the catchment area is expensive, none the less we have no problem paying for quality food and looked forward to our roast beef.
What arrived can only be described as a slab of beef on all counts, mine was mosty fat and gristle and I sent it straight back. The waitress offered to get me somethig else and I opted for another starter just to satisfy my hunger.
Of my two fellow diners one did eat their beef whilst the other plate was cleared away with the meat almost untouched. Not a word was said and the plates were taken away, however it must have been clear to both the waitress and one would certainly hope to the chef that all was not good.
When the bill arrived I was amazed to have been charged for second starter and queried this with the waitress who responded with "we have not had any other complaints".
If this constitutes the level of quality and service one should expect when parting with this sort of cash then I am flabbergasted.
Unless you have very low expectations and money to waste then I should give the Pheasantry a very wide berth, it will certainly be interesting to see how long this place lasts, given my customer experience today it deserves to fail, miserably.
Andrew Clarke, Retford.