“Variable”

Red Gate
Ranked #5 of 173 Restaurants in Mansfield
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Modern fine dining restaurant located in a traditional Public House
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

We came on a Saturday evening fairly early so it wasn't busy when we first arrived. The menu and wine list is extensive and the house wine was very nice (I had white and my brother's girlfriend has red) so it was fully tested! The starters took about half an hour to come out and when they did the waitress brought them out one at a time with quite a wait between each one. There were seven of us so this was quite a lengthy process! I had scallops and they were slightly over-cooked but overall everyone enjoyed their starters. Also we has been brought some bread and mustard butter which was, apparantly lovely. They also catered for my diary requirements (I'm lactose intolerant) though they also brought me some gluten free bread.

We had to ask for more drinks and there were five empty glasses before we asked for them, but we did get them quite quickly after we'd asked. The mains arrived and were brought about more quickly and sauces were too. I had steak which is asked to be rare but it was more medium. But they had modified my dish to cater for my lactose intolerance. Overall there were some really good things about the meal - another of our party had the hake and she said it was amazing. The portions are a good size and they go out of their way to cater for anything unusual.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

We went bank holiday monday with my family The service was five star , all credit to the staff Food was excellent.thank you chef All the food was freshly prepared and very tastey,i am happy to wait for quality tastey food. This is not expensive place I like bit more variety on the pudding menue. Very clean place.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I first ate here last year for my sisters birthday. I returned there for a quick meal with friends and it was just as good as last time and we ate off the early bird menu. The food was fantastic and even though its a small place, it is beautiful inside. The atmosphere is lovely and the service is excellent. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

We went bank holiday monday with my family
The service was five star , all credit to the staff
Food was excellent.thank you chef
This is not expensive place
I like bit more variety on the pudding menue.
Very clean place.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Have just been for an evening meal. Friendly staff, small but clean dining room. Well set out. Meals were perfectly cooked, well presented and hot. Starters and desserts looked appetising and tasted great. Relaxed atmosphere and good service. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank Margaret H