“Kids friendly place”

Red Gate
Ranked #4 of 168 Restaurants in Mansfield
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Modern fine dining restaurant located in a traditional Public House
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

We went bank holiday monday with my family
The service was five star , all credit to the staff
Food was excellent.thank you chef
All the food was freshly prepared and very tastey,i am happy to wait for quality tastey food.
This is not expensive place
I like bit more variety on the pudding menue.
Very clean place.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Have just been for an evening meal. Friendly staff, small but clean dining room. Well set out. Meals were perfectly cooked, well presented and hot. Starters and desserts looked appetising and tasted great. Relaxed atmosphere and good service. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank Margaret H
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Managed to get a booking at a late phonecall which didnt fill me with too much confidence but how wrong as was.

Fantastic food in a relaxed atmosphere, would definatly visit again.

We had French Onion Soup and Beef/Gammon lunch.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Must admit that when my friend booked us a table here for our monthly lunch I was not expecting much but what a surprise.

The setting isn't entirely salubrious being in a slightly dodgy part of Mansfield but the restaurant on the right hand side of the pub is tasteful and very clean (the left hand side is a public bar serving the locals I imagine).

Service was good although a little slow which is my only little 'gripe' but the food was excellent! The two men had a pork belly starter which was a good size, presented beautifully and tasted very good they said (nice crackling!). There were a couple of the specials off the menu and my friend couldn't have the ravioli as they had sold the last portion the night before & chef hadn't had time to make more pasta before the Saturday lunchtime. Disappointing but rather impressive that they are making their own pasta. She opted for the smoked haddock risotto - very good. Hubby had the burger which looked very good and other friend had the fish & chips with home made tartare sauce (again pretty impressive).

I went for the steak strips in the Stilton sauce with mushrooms which was absolutely delicious and a very sizeable portion (couldn't eat it all unfortunately). Chips are excellent and the onion rings ( which I am very critical of) were very close to being the best I have had in a long time!

Most of us couldn't manage a pudding but one of us had the pear tart - friend was hoping it might have been warm but announced it delicious despite this (it didn't say it should have been warm).

Couldn't fault anything about the lunch at all and the only reason I didn't give it full marks was that the service was a little slow.

Well done to everyone there, will recommend as many times as I can.

BTW - two nice real ales on gap which the men enjoyed.

2  Thank JaynePiper
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Went here for my father in laws birthday. I have visited quite a few times before and never had anything to pick up on. However, this time whilst the food was yet again superb, the whole experience was let down by the service.We ended up waiting for nearly a hour for our meals which was quite frustrating for us all. Although I was disappointed with this visit, I will visit again as the food is just to good to miss out on.