“Second sauces. ”

Red Gate
Ranked #5 of 171 Restaurants in Mansfield
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Modern fine dining restaurant located in a traditional Public House
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Visited here again. Glad we did as it was as good as last time. Be warned its no surprise its busy so book a table. For excellent food in Mansfield look no further folks. Beautiful steaks all from local sources.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Mansfield is not somewhere we go often, the pubs are awful and there is nowhere decent to eat, so when we were recommended this restaurant we were dubious. From the outside I don't think we would have ever passed and thought "lets give that place a try", but what a surprise. The staff were great, attentive, offering advice where they felt we required it and very efficient. The food was excellent, lots of choice (mains from £7!) full of flavour and beautifully cooked. Deserts were dreamy!!!
Excellent value for money, will definitely go back. Highly recommended.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We wanted to try somewhere fairly local to celebrate our wedding anniversary this year and having researched tripadvisor we booked a table at the Red Gate. The décor is very chic and the menu choice including the specials board offered pretty much something for everyone.The venue is quite small and so I would definitely recommend booking. We chose starters, mains and dessert and every dish that we were served was beautifully cooked, well presented and absolutely delicious. The fresh preparation of each dish meant that there were reasonable waits between courses which was no issue for us but this was a relatively quiet Thursday evening and I suspect that the waiting time may become extended at busier times. Some writers have commented on a lack of atmosphere but to be able to enjoy our evening away from the children and talk without the need to shout above loud background music or other conversations we found very relaxing. We had a lovely evening and enjoyed some fantastic food. Thank you to tripadvisor reviewers without whom we would never have found this venue and thank you to all at the Red Gate for making our evening special - we will definitely return!

1  Thank Robert B
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Was looking for somewhere different to go for lunch with my husband and had seen the good comments on Trip Advisor about The Red Gate (best side) so decided to give it a try. We went for lunch last Saturday, we had booked a table but it was pretty quiet so it would not have been necessary. I imagine it would be so though in the evening as it is quite a small restaurant. It's quite a nice looking place inside, fairly modern but small. I ordered the sausage and mash with onion rings and my husband had the mini mixed grill. Both meals came piping hot, which I love and everything was very tasty and well presented. We also had a few drinks with our meal and was surprised at the reasonable cost of the meal when the bill came. There was music on in the background but I found it to be fairly quiet and slightly lacking in atmosphere (you could hear the few other diners conversations, unintentionally) but I would imagine it would be nicer in the evening when it is busier. Overall, the food was lovely, the service was good and the price was reasonable. Although we are not local, we would probably return again in the future.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

OK, yes I admit, I can be a bit of a food snob, sorry but there you go. So when the suggestion came up to visit Red Gate, on Westfield Lane in Mansfield my first comment was WHERE/REALLY? But we were going for a family celebration so it was not my place to choose venue. I can tell you for certain as a result of this visit I will most certainly choose again.
Firstly the decor is amazing. Glitzy, glamorous, a touch of Hollywood and a bit of sparkle. The bench near the window is quite firm, however there are loads of cushions and fabric drapes everywhere. It is so thoughtfully done, the lighting and the wallpaper are stunning!
So now to the food. OMG, we had 3 starters and 4 mains between the 4 of us and there is hardly a fault with any of them. The flavours, the presentation, the temperature (which can be an issue) were all absolutely spot on. The bread board is just beautiful, much better than a roll on a side plate any day. I shared the olive starter with my Mum and there was more than enough for 2 people as a light starter. The terrine and the scallops were both met with delight by our fellas and not a negative comment in sight - which for my other half is a serious compliment as he is a proper foodie. All were served on beautiful black slates and the portion sizes were just right.
Now for main courses. I went for good old fashioned bangers & mash; WOW, now trust me I have tasted my fair share of bangers & mash in my time and this was just devine on every level. The mash was creamy without being a purree, some places can "over mash" for me, I like a bit of substance!. The sausages were just sublime, tasty, herby but not too much that the meat is overpowered, just wonderful. The gravy again was tasty but subtle, not full of onion like some places do. An as for the onion rings and the presentation, it was a work of art, seriously, the chef has attention to the finest details. All of this I might add was on the £7 daily menu!!!
My mum had the pie and loved it. The guys had the cod loin from the special blackboard and it was devoured, the venison from the main menu was served pink, cooked to perfection with a fabulous array of rosti and roasted vegatables.
All in all we had the most wonderful evening. The staff were lovely, friendly and attentive but not OTT like some places.
For somewhere local to us, with food of this standard is an absolute shocker and I can 100% recommend giving it a try, you will not be disappointed and I will 100% be going again. What a find and in MANSFIELD!!! RESULT!! FINALLY!!