“Improved”

Bold Forester
Ranked #47 of 166 Restaurants in Mansfield
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Pub - also serves food, has live music, beer festivals.
Fife, Scotland
“Improved”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Called in for a bar lunch because it was convenient to where we were going, and not because I was impressed the last time.
I have to say that things were certainly better this time. The service was as friendly as ever (even though my name STILL isn't 'Duck'!) and in fact when I went to order the food the landlady already knew my table number.
The food was reasonably priced and the portion size was huge. We had the chicken skewers and they comprised of two massive kebabs which must have had over a chicken breast on each of them. The chips and onion rings had obviously been cooked a bit too early as they were not as hot as they should have been, but all in all a decent meal.
We went back later that same evening, this time just for drinks. The place was very busy and tables were hard to find. The pub could do with a set of double doors to the back car park because every time someone came in or out the door they let in a tremendous blast of arctic air which kept us quite uncomfortable. The bar staff kept up with the crowd quite well and were friendly and chatty.
We left before closing, quite happy and I have to say that this visit is most certainly an improvement on the last one.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank dangerousbryman

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“What's happened”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I've been going to this pub for many years now. The food has always been average & still is. I agree with cheap & cheerful. It's the beer i want to mump about. This is supposed to be a Real ale venue. I have had the odd dodgy pint over the years, but they have always been swapped straight away. The last 4 times i've been in, i have had to take at least pint back, & every time, i suspect, because they have turned, or are starting to.
I went in for the last time on Saturday the 8th Dec. The 1st was rank(Can't remember what it was) Took it back, & the replacement(Titanic/Ensign) while clearer than the 1st tasted disgusting. The Landlady then appeared, to 'test' it, agreed to let me try another, then walked round making comments like 'They're drinking it at the end & haven't complained'. It's sad, that anyone trying Real ale for the 1st time could drink it here & think that it was the norm.

• Visited December 2012
London England
“Massive portions at a great price”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

A group of us visited the Bold Forester for Sunday lunch and found the menu selection to be very good,the portions were absolutely huge and offered excellent value for money.

We would go back if in the area again.

• Visited December 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolute disgrace!”
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Went to the bold forester with a group of work colleagues for our Christmas meal. It was absolutely awful from start to finish. The starters were average at best and we hoped it would get better but sadly from that point it only went downhill. The mains were an absolute disgrace. Turkey similar to that of a frozen turkey roll with a nasty taste to it, frozen not fresh peas and carrots served stone cold and cheap and nasty frozen roast potatoes. Two salmon meals were sent back as they were cold and exactly the same two meals were returned two minutes later and we were told 'we've probed them, they are 65 degrees, theres nothing wrong with them!' Absolutely shocking attitude from the management and the staff! I'm not particularly fussy with food but the quality was worse than the crap you buy from Iceland.... And this was meant to be their Christmas Fayre menu!

If the management do keep up with these reviews 18 of us ate with you that night... That's 18 of us that would have returned with family and friends at some point in the future had the meal and service been to an acceptable standard. None of us will be visiting your establishment again, we felt unwelcome and were disgusted with the attitude of staff in particular the management! I will be encouraging everyone I know to avoid at all costs! Simply an absolue disgrace!

Nottingham
“Cheap and cheerful”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Have a large menu, generally low-priced items (or good value items if you have something like a mixed grill). Never had any complaints when I have eaten there on the numerous occasions that I have done in the past.

Visited September 2012