“Gastro Pub Continues to Deliver”
Review of The Dovecote Inn

The Dovecote Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Laxton B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 22, 2013

First class gastro pub dining that continues to give a great service and serve quality produce. I reviewed this place a couple of months back and so this is just an update of my most recent visit to let TA community know that the standards are being maintained in my oppinion. Our dining party of four all had a fantastic experience with care and attention to the food was delivered. The choices were good from the specials board - 2 of us chose from here - the others from the main menu. We all had three coursese, if I was to advise, I would certainly go for a starter and a main rather than a dessert as this was the weakest course - all our party agreed that the desserts were not as good as the starters. Nevertheless thoroughly enjoyable!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
daviddovecote, Owner at The Dovecote Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you for taking time out to review the Dovecote Inn. I am so pleased that we again managed to live up to your expectations, we try our very best to consistently deliver. I am surprised however, about your comments regarding the desserts, which are of course all homemade. We do listen to our customers so perhaps next time you are in, you can suggest what you would like to see on our dessert menu, and I can pass on your ideas to my chefs. Hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Linda B

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We sampled the offering of the Dovecote last night having struggled over different places to eat around the Retford area. The short trip out from retford was along pleasant winding country lanes and only a few short miles away from us. Laxton itself is a beautiful village and our bay window table gave an excellent view as the sun went down.

The staff were friendly, a family run establishment, and with Landlord and Peroni on tap, as well as other guest beers, we were well catered for. The food itself was freshly prepared and delicious, locally sourced and proud to be so.

The restaurant was full on a Tuesday night which is of course testament in itself, and with the choice of a select menu plus specials as well as the excellent value two steaks and wine for £25 there was plenty of choice. The steak was thick, obviously well hung and tender, and very flavoursome. The beef wellington was a twist on the classic and also made with tender succulent meat.

We finished off with a lovely dessert to share and that rounded off a very relaxed evening. Hopefully we will be back soon, when the sun comes out and we have time to also sample the history of Laxton itself.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
daviddovecote, Owner at The Dovecote Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

What a lovely review thank you! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to The Dovecote Inn. You are right it is a lovely setting, we are very fortunate to live in Laxton. I am glad that our food lived up to your high expectations also, making for a lovely evening for you. We look forward to seeing you again soon, when hopefully you can enjoy a cool refreshing beer on the patio or in the orchard.
Kind regards, Linda B

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I needed to find a room at relatively short notice at a reasonable price, and discovered the Dovecote on an Internet search. For £70 a night it was excellent value, the room was lovely and the welcome warm. They have a great set up with breakfast where it's 'do it yourself' with a fridge, toaster and coffee maker. The breakfast consisted of bread (gluten free especially bought in for me), cereal, cheeses, spreads, yoghurts and fresh fruit. The room was really clean and welcoming with a flat screen TV and nice shower. I went on business because of an early presentation nearby in the morning, but I'd happily go back on for leisure purposes and explore the lovely surrounding countryside. I didn't eat in the pub, but the menu looked great.

Room Tip: There are only two rooms - I had room 2 and it was great, 3 windows showing a different view of the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
daviddovecote, Owner at The Dovecote Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for posting your very positive review on tripadvisor. We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always try our best to cater for individual needs and diets. It is always so nice when customers recognise our efforts. Hopefully we will see you again sometime soon, perhaps as you suggest for leisure rather than work purposes. Kind regards Linda B

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Whenever I want to impress a customer/friend/missus or when I am just feeling incredibly indulgent - I make my way to The Dovecote, nicely nestled firmly under the big Laxton sky.
Not only is the food amazing - but the staff always enhance the pleasure. The Beer is always good - especially the guest ales.
I take great comfort that the food takes a little longer to appear than one is used to at some of the chain pubs - as I know it is being freshly cooked.
If you haven't been yet - treat yourself. Its a wonderful day out and Laxton and the surrounding fields and hamlets are so perfectly peaceful and picturesque.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for such a lovely unprompted review. I have passed on your very positive comments to my hard working staff. On a personal note, one of the great things about running a place like the Dovecote is welcoming back time and time again lovely customers like you and your family. And you are right about the village of Laxton it is a beautiful unique place, and well worth a visit. Regards Linda B

Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I normally look to stay in a chain but the costs were stupid and it's not Christmas yet! Just off the main road I found this jewel! Food excellent company brilliant I would recommend eating and or staying in this pearl of a setting with people who care!

• Stayed: April 2013
daviddovecote, Owner at The Dovecote Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you for your very positive review, it is much appreciated by us all at The Dovecote.
Yes we do care about everything we do. We try our best to make everyone feel at home here. We are always really pleased when somebody appreciates our hard work and bothers to tell others about us, and yes less than 10 minutes from the A1 it is worth the effort to come to such a beautiful and historic village setting. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind regards, Linda B

Reviewed March 29, 2013

My family and I have been going to the Dovecote for many years and it never disappoints. David and Linda are the perfect landlord and landlady, they are always very welcoming, friendly and take a genuine interest in their clientele. The staff are always attentive and polite and nothing is too much trouble. We have enjoyed many meals at the Dovecote and the quality, preparation and presentation of the food is always excellent. I would not hesitate to recommend the Dovecote to anyone who has a real appreciation for really good food. I am looking forward to my next meal there on Easter Monday.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Richard J
daviddovecote, Owner at The Dovecote Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

What a lovely review, thank you so much! It is so nice to know that our hard work is appreciated.
I will pass on your comments to all our staff, who work as a team to make sure everything is just right for all our customers.
It is always a pleasure to welcome you and your family to the Dovecote. We look forward to seeing you again on Easter Monday for the Easter Egg hunt. Regards Linda

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Never having been to The Dovecote before, we decided to give it a try.
The staff were very pleasant and showed us to our table. There were 5 adults and we all decided to have roast of the day. It was quite a while before the waitress brought the food. There was the yorkshire pudding, meat and potatoes already on the plate. It was then quite a while before the waitress brought the vegetables, which meant that the meat (which was quite chewy) had gone cold. Also, there wasn't sufficient veg for 5 people.
The sweet was very nice but quite a small portion for the price charged.
Not value for money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PatriciaK621
daviddovecote, Owner at The Dovecote Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our establishment; we value all customer feedback whether good or bad. We are sorry that you did not fully enjoy your experience at The Dovecote. I am sure that you appreciate that all our food is cooked to order, therefore there is always some delay bringing out an order, however having to wait then for the accompanying mixed seasonal vegetables and cauliflower cheese is unacceptable. I shall speak to my staff to make sure that this does not happen again. If people want extra vegetables we are always more than happy to provide them. I am glad that you enjoyed your desserts, which of course are all homemade, and at only £2 more than the one course Sunday lunch, most people consider to be very good value for money. We are sorry that you did not. We hope that you will come back to The Dovecote and try us again, when we will gladly provide you with more vegetables if you ask us to.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laxton
Best Western Plus West Retford Hotel
The Forest Lodge Hotel
The Forest Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Edwinstowe
The Goat House at Ivy Cottage
Crosshill House
Crosshill House
#3 of 3 in Laxton

Been to The Dovecote Inn? Share your experiences!