“Best in the area !”

The Dovecote Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Laxton B&B and Inns
“Best in the area !”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Having moved back from Devon this year I have been trying some of the local restaurants/pubs as I like to eat out and have searched for good quality food ( local sourced produce ) good service and a pleasant ambience.
The Dovecote has it all -- a great "feel" to the pub--good menu-- and a pleasant helpful staff ( try eating alone to test this !!) Opted for the venison--superb as was all the meal . A busy pub is usually a good sign, but despite being well booked --the service was exceptional--unobtrusive but always present ( a difficult skill !).
By far the best so far--will definitely return-lots more of the menu to try--highly recommended, but probably best to book !! Also a good selection of beers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Willowfield8
daviddovecote, Owner at The Dovecote Inn, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for your very kind and positive review. We try our best to make everyone feel welcome at The Dovecote, whether you are with a large party of people or dining alone.
It pleases me in particular that you, not only like our delicious food, but appreciate our lovely staff also. it is so easy these days to simply focus on the negative, how delighted we all are at the Dovecote when someone so genuinely bothers to praise and appreciate our hard work, thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We visited late on a sunday afternoon. The service was ok but the main course was a let down. My chicken was stone cold and hard and my mash potato was cold as well. My husband enjoyed his meal but i was not impressed. My pudding made up for it. I f i go back again i will just have pudding.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time out to review our establishment. What a shame you did not fully enjoy your experience on this occasion when you have always done so on previous visits. I am pleased that your husband enjoyed his meal and that you enjoyed your dessert course, but I am really sorry that you felt your main course was not up to our usual high standard. I have spoken to the kitchen staff, and they too are very concerned that your main course was not hot enough. Please have our best assurance that we have procedures in place to ensure that this error does not happen again, but thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We weren't sure what to expect when we booked lunch at the Dovecot, our last visit being over twenty years ago. Super food, warm atmosphere, friendly, attentive staff and excellent value for money have placed this at the top of our list of local venues. Despite being extremely busy when a couple of large parties arrived, the staff remained calm and there was no dip in the quality of service. We had a great time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
david0108, Owner at The Dovecote Inn, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for your thoughtful review. Yes it was a very busy Sunday, but I'm glad that you still enjoyed your whole experience at the Dovecote. We hope to see you again soon
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Having visited the Dovecote for a drink with friends a few weeks ago I decided as I was in the area to try the food and I am really pleased I did. Everything was excellent, the food, the service and the atmosphere. The food was served in a timely manner without the impression it had been rushed and the presentation and quality was impeccable. You can see from the whole establishment that everything has been thought through with a great attention to detail. It was also very good value. Would I return again? Certainly I would recommend it to anyone. Thank you for a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: Didn't stay but spoke to a couple that did and they said the rooms were very comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
david0108, Owner at The Dovecote Inn, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
What a lovely thoughtful review, thank you! As always I pass on all comments to my great staff, who all work very hard to ensure everyone has a memorable time at The Dovecote Inn.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed in Laxton for 2 nights and The Dovecote was just opposite our B&B so very convenient. The food was fantastic, my husband had a Lamb special on the first night which he says was the best lamb he had ever tasted. Most food is locally sourced and David and Linda were great hosts and obviously love cooking and are rightly very proud of the food which they produce. I would certainly recommend this restaurant I am sure you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
david0108, Owner at The Dovecote Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for your kind review, we are pleased that you enjoyed your evenings at The Dovecote Inn.
I have sent your compliments to our hard working chefs. Look forward to welcoming you back to The Dovecote in the near future.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Four of us stayed for 1 night recently as a base for a wedding reception nearby.
The rooms were immaculate in every detail from the wonderful kingsize bed to the stunning furniture and decor in the rooms. We stayed in room 1 which was a nice sized room with a bath and shower.
Breakfast was continental but a fabulous choice was available from rice crispies to muesli , rolls with butter, jam or marmalade, cheeses, yoghurts and various teas to choose from, the coffee was the real mcoy with cafetiere , never have i had that before anywhere ive stayed simply amazing !!
The bed was very comfortable, so much so i slept like a log.The lady that welcomed us was lovely and the inn itself looks very nice too , unfortunately we didnt get the chance to make use of the restaurant there but it looks fantastic and we will be returning to sample the food which looking at the menu sounds wonderful.
I highly recommend a stay at The Dovecote Inn and hope to return myself as soon as is possible

Room Tip: Room 1 was bigger than room 2 and had a bath and shower , room 2 only had a shower but both rooms we...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
david0108, Owner at The Dovecote Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Dovecote Inn, and thank you for your kind review. In particular we are glad that you liked our new bespoke bedroom furniture which we only last week took delivery of.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Dovecote Inn
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed here for a week during December as I was working in the vicinity. It is such a beautifully picturesque area and this Inn was just as wonderful inside. The rooms were so comfortable and nicely decorated I felt at home the week I was away, which was nice. The staff in the food area we're lovely, really nice to talk to, and the food was exquisite. I would recommend this place to anybody passing by the area and I hope I get the chance to visit again in the future.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
david0108, Owner at The Dovecote Inn, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for taking time out to review our establishment. I have passed on your positive comments to the team. We try very hard to make people feel at home and welcome at The Dovecote. It is always nice to know our hard work is appreciated.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laxton
Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa
The Forest Lodge Hotel
The Forest Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Edwinstowe
Kelham House Country Manor Hotel
Travelodge Retford Markham Moor
Best Western Plus West Retford Hotel
Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant

Been to The Dovecote Inn? Share your experiences!