“Lovely Meal” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Unicorns Head

Unicorns Head
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Langar
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

We visited The Unicorn has a change from our usually place, the carvery was excellent, first tiime, I've seen the oblong plates available and a nice change being able to get to my meat without it being under the veg and potatoes.
The young staff were attentive without being in in my face and all with a smile and nothing seemed too much of a problem, when requested by other diners.
We only live a few miles away and we will certainly return.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Melton Mowbray
“Not trying hard enough - poor management”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

The bucket of sodden cigarette ends on the entrance step was not a good welcome and nor was the filthy entrance with dirty tiles and even more dirty skirting. The music volume was turned down on request but as it was playing music more suited to the staff than the clientele it was not surprising it was so loud.

The staff member who ran the bar as well as the waiting service was courteous and efficient and food and drinks arrived promptly. The quantity of meat with our duck and apple salad was absolutely minimal and betrayed the dead hand of an accountant rather than a chef or businessman. The Unicorn's Head has the potential to do well and some money has been spent on the outdoor areas. In the Vale of Belvoir it faces competition of the highest standard and will have to try much harder if it is to survive.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Beth M, Owner at Unicorns Head, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
After reading your review I am dissapointed that you had a bad experience at our restaurant and would like to offer my apologies and an explanation.

The day in question we had catered for a shoot in the morning, and I beleive the dirty entrance may have been down to the dogs which were in there in the morning. However, I do agreee that this is not accceptable and can assure you that it has subsequently been cleaned thoroughly!

I would also like to assure you that my partner and I are devoted to ensuring our food is of the highest standards whilst maintaning it is value for money. I am thoroughly disspointed that for you, this has not been the case.

Most of the feedback we get from our customers is excellent, and reflects the enthusiasm and hard-work that we put into making the Unicorns Head a thoroughtly enjoyable place to come.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies again, and assure you that your comments have been taken into consideration.

many thanks
“Overpriced food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

My partner and I came for lunch one hot Sunday afternoon as we had past this lovely looking pub a few times,it Was not very busy ,we got our drinks and sat outside in the pleasant surroundings ,we both chose the gastro lamb burgers,which looked like a starter,the food tasted lovely but at £12.00 per person give or take a few pence it was wildly overpriced for 2 small lamb burgers on a small crusty cob with a fist of chips ( if that!)and a slither of some sauce going across the chopping board on which it was served upon(what happened to plates?).would not eat here again as the portions are tiny for the price,plus there was no check back or clearing of the tables,which I did myself(being a former waitress old habits die hard!).

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Never again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

We arrived at 2.50pm and first impressions when we walked through the door were good, it had a traditional pub feel. However when we sat down we noticed stale food under the table, filthy wine glasses on the table and the table itself was none too clean The waiter was polite and friendly although he seemed a little unsure at what he was doing (maybe he was new to the job) The place was almost empty, we ordered drinks and they were brought over very promptly, he took our food order and we never saw him again until the food arrived over one hour later!! There was no apology for the slack service. Some of the meals arrived on wooden boards, URGH they are the most unappealing way to serve food and one of our party asked for their meal to be put on a plate, the staff didn't hesitate to change it.
The burgers were served on ciabatta (no mention of this on the menu). Even the curry arrived on a wooden board in two stainless steel balti dishes.
The food was average but overpriced for the portions and quality.
The waiter came to clear the table and one of our party asked for the dessert menu only to be told that that were no desserts as the chef had gone home at 3pm. We were all astounded. Had we have been told this at the start of the meal then we would certainly have eaten elsewhere.
The toilets were not very clean either.
We will be visiting Langar again soon but will definitely not be eating at the Unicorns Head. The menu states 2 main meals for .£12 between 12 and 3pm. But then they inform you when you ask for dessert that the chef goes home at 3!!!!

Our advice to the staff would be to state clearly that the chef goes home at 3pm and maybe put a sign up outside advising of this and to make it clear that any orders taken after this time will have a very long wait and no dessert. Perhaps offer complimentary drinks and an apology when the food has taken so long to arrive.
And give the toilets, glassware, cutlery, tables and floor a thorough clean.

Beth M, Owner at Unicorns Head, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
After reading your review I would like to aplogosie for your dissapointing expereince at the Unicorns Head.

The day that you visited our pub we had already catered for alot of customers during the lunchtime service, hence why the restaurant and toilets may have seemed untidy. When this is the case, the restaurant is cleaned and the toilets are freshed up before the evening service commences, as to avoid such complaints.

I have spoken to the chefs that were on shift that day and they sincerely apologise for the wait that you had on your food, I have been told that there were some meals ordered which do take a while to cook, however, this is normally explained to customers when they order them, so it is our mistake that this did not happen in this situation.

As for the wooden boards, our food is often served like this and many of our customers think it is a pleasing way for the food to be served, I beleive this is personal choice and am sorry that you disliked it.

I also apologise for the fact that you were not offered desserts. It is true that food is served from 12-3, however the chef does not normally leave until around 4pm which usually allows for all service to be completed. Obviously for you, this was not the case.

I would like the oppertunity to make things right for you and apologise again. If you are willing to get in touch with me at the pub, it would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks
Beth
gloucestershire
“Very disapointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

Having read all of the positive reviews we went for lunch yesterday, Thursday 15th May 2014. The food was poor quality and certainly overpriced for what we had. Based on yesterdays experience I would not recommend. Visit the Plough at Hickling, wonderful food and excellent value for money.