“Lovely Country Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Langar
welsh borders
“Lovely Country Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at Langar for 2 nights February 2013, and from the moment we arrived were made to feel almost one of a large and friendly family. The actual hotel is an early 19th Century Regency house with great charm and character which exactly reflects the proprietor's personality. Imogen is an energetic and lively "hands-on" hostess who takes an interest in all her guests, ensuring that nothing is too much trouble for her or the staff, who come from all over the world. The rooms are all very individually decorated to a high standard with lots of quirky books, prints and objets d'art as finishing touches which enhance the lovely period features which have been retained.The place was spotlessly clean.
The food is just sublime, perfectly cooked and presented. The lamb was pink and juicy and I never knew that rhubarb could be used that way! The pear William granita with goats'cheese ice-cream was a revelation, and I simply must find a recepie for it!
The surrounding gardens and grounds are worth exploring, for though the trees were bare, being winter,the views are spectacular and there are lots of little sheltered areas to get out of the wind to enjoy the sight of local sheep grazing the old moat banks.There is a lot to see and do within 1 hour's drive, and the local road links are good.
This little piece of hotel heaven is a place I am sure I will return to with my husband many times, as we had such a fabulous weekend. It is an ideal venue for almost any occasion,and particularly for romantic rendezvous or special times with family and friends. I thoroughly commend Langar Hall to any prospective guest.You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Lilac is a small but perfectly formed double with views over the garden, cosy and comfortable
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
LangarHall, Owner at Langar Hall, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
I think I recognise you! I must admit that you were the most perfect customers . Interesting, inspiring and unusually unforgettable. I remember our conversation and laughter on the busiest night when you were tucked away on a little table in the garden room. THANK you for you appreciation and encouragement. The team were thrilled with your report, great for morale and building confidence. Hope you have an excuse to come back when the sun shines.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

We visited Langar Hall to celebrate my sister's birthday on Sat Jan 12. I had eaten there on previous occaisons, but not recently, and although I remembered it as being very, very good, our recent experience was sublime.
From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel welcome, and absolutely nothing was too much trouble for the wonderfully attentive staff.
Pre dinner drinks, with Marmite popcorn, were a wonderful start to a truly memorable meal. We chose different dishes, and the presentation of them all was out of this world, The desserts simply looked too good to eat! Needless to say, everything tasted exquisite. You must employ the best chefs in Nottinghamshire!
The dining room was beautiful; elegant but remaining comfortable, with a delightful ambience. My sister was particularly smitten with your central light fitting and candlesticks! Service was attentive but discreet, with just the right amount of interaction.
Following dinner,Michael was kind enough to show us around, the and it inspired me to book again for my own birthday in June. Thank you all for the wonderful experience, and I look forward to visiting again.It'sj ust a shame I have to be a year older!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank christina w
LangarHall, Owner at Langar Hall, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for the best review ever. It was especially welcome to know that our team work even better when I am away. And yes I think we do have the best chefs in Nottinghamshire. They are all young and local (apart from French pastry chef) and have been with me for years & years. Looking forward to meeting you in June when I hope you will remind me of your kind words on Trip Advisor. Best wishes Imogen
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Langar is country house-style, but not manufactured (this feels like, and is, a real place), and not dowdy. The decor is simple and the decoration plain allowing the beauty of the rooms, moldings and window shapes to play their full part. Food is delicious, never over-salted, and bursting with flavour. We lunched here recently for our anniversary, dining from the lunch menu which is extremely good value at £18.50 for 2 courses. Service welcoming and attentive.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
LangarHall, Owner at Langar Hall, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Hello there, Many thanks for writing such a pleasant review. We are doing a better offer now. for Jan-Feb-Mar, (Lunch for Even Less) - 2 courses for £16.50, same good food. We shall look forward to your next visit. Happy new year to you all, lovely customers.
Imogen
Clermont-Ferrand, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I was there a few years ago, and I am still remembering this hotel as the most romantic and genuine place for couple to stay. the rooms are amazing , you just feel like at home, I tried a few of them, they are all so nice.The owner Imogen is the most charming and welcoming lady in the world.The food was great, and the staff very friendly.I wish I'll go back sometime.

Room Tip: I think Edwards is the most beau up the stairstifull room of all, with it's bathroom
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frussia
LangarHall, Manager at Langar Hall, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Many thanks for taking time to write such a beautiful review, it is much appreciated, guests like you make us special. Feedback like yours keeps us going. We look forward seeing you soon, wishing you a very good new year from everyone at Langar Hall.
Regards
Santosh
Leicestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have been visiting Langar Hall for 21 years for its superb food but have never stayed overnight. To celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary we decided to make a weekend of it. We celebrated dinner with 6 of our closest and had another excellent meal, our favourite dishes being the signature twice baked cheese soufflé and 'Langar lamb'. We stayed in the 'Cricketers' room which was charming and perfect for two cricket fans.
As I said we have frequented Langar for a very long time and never have we had a disappointing experience. It was the perfect place to celebrate our special occasion.
We very much look forward to visiting again very soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Smurfette67
LangarHall, Owner at Langar Hall, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for giving your feedback about nice experience (special occasion - wedding anniversary ) at Langar Hall. We hope your closest had a good time too. we look forward seeing you and your closest again. Many thanks.
Kind regards,
Imo.
Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was our third visit to Langar Hall over about six years - it's probably our favourite hotel. Small enough to feel personal, big enough to have polished but characterful service, I can't fault it. The food is big on flavour and local ingredients, the dining room feels intimate but not dreadfully hushed like some of the deathly dull high end places we've been to.
We stayed in Edwards this time, a truly beautiful room. My only suggestion would be to move the taps to the middle of the bath, making it more comfortable for two. I know it's the original bath but personally I would sacrifice that for comfort. That's the sort of place Langar Hall is: champagne in the bath, a cat in the drawing room, laughter in the dining room. It would be the perfect place for a winter (or any time) wedding.

Room Tip: If you're on a budget, Agnews is sweet and cosy for two. With more to spend, Bohemia was a bit d...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sherman49
LangarHall, Manager at Langar Hall, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
We are so pleased to read your lovely review, this is much appreciated. All the food is locally sourced from nearby village of Langar, meat if from our local farmers and vegetables from our herb garden. we would like to see you in the near future, in the mean time let 2013 bring happiness and joy to you and your family.

Best wishes,
Santosh
Northamptonshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were introduced to this establishment by friends, who invited us to join them for a 'pre- Christmas lunch'. Due to exceptional inclement weather, floods and heavy traffic, having taken us over an hour to reach the Hotel, we were not disappointed when we arrived, to a very warm and comfortable welcome. The 'Hall' is basically a beautiful period family home, set in parkland, which I would imgaine would look even better in Spring or Summer.
The interior is typically decorated with period furniture and paintings, and the christmas decorations were stunning. (Only disappointment was a fake tree in the hallway).
Real log fires burning in the wood panelled library, where we had coffee, tea and mince pies - after a substantial lunch. Plenty of areas to sit for pre and post lunch drinks.
The proprietress was extremely friendly and welcoming, and one felt immediately 'at home'
The meal was good, roast pork with fantastic crackling and creamy mash, root vegetables, the steak and ale pie I am told was excellent, and no complaints about the christmas pudding!
Wines were very acceptable and not over the top prices. On the whole, we were delighted with our trip out - good food, good wine, lovely lounge areas, comfortable dining. Would we visit again, certainly and take others. Only downside: lighting in the dining room and library needs attention. Ceiling lights need to be changed to spots and the library lights need to be brighter table lamp bulbs and get rid of the ceiling lights again.
Also, the surcharge is a bit ott. We are normally generous tippers for such a good service, however when the business whacks it on the bill, do the staff who serve us get to see our true gratitude? That's another tipping story.....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Time Travellers' Wife
LangarHall, Owner at Langar Hall, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. Glad you enjoyed it. I keep the lights low and switch off the top lights at dinner as we all look younger and more romantic by candlelight even if we can't see to read the menu. Spots were not invented when electricity was installed here in 1930 and nothing much has changed since then. I agree about the fake tree but did not want to upset the artist who does our amazing Christmas decorations every year. Hope to see you again this year. Best wishes Imogen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langar
Colwick Hall Hotel
Cockliffe Country House Hotel
The Morley Hayes Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Nottingham - Gateway
Lace Market Hotel Nottingham by Compass Hospitality

Been to Langar Hall? Share your experiences!