“Friendly pub with good pub grub! You get what you pay for.”
Review of The Fox

The Fox
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Kelham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Nottingham
“Friendly pub with good pub grub! You get what you pay for.”
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I go to the fox inn at Kelham on a regular basis.
It's good value as far as pub grub is concerned I have never had a bad meal. But it does what it says on the tin which is pub grub. Best roast for miles though!!!
To the gentlemen that wrote the review titled the bad mannered pub. We go at least once a month on a Sunday and book. The tables are not reserved as they operate on a seat and greet service ( and a very friendly welcome is always given) if you had of made yourself known at the bar - as we all do even as regulars you may have been shown to a free table that had not been actually in fact reserved - I felt the need to stick up for them in this respect since you obviously have not done any research into how they operate on a Sunday and clearly just helped yourself to a what was reserved table.
The staff are always pleased to see us and always make us feel very welcome as regulars. As a pub should be.

• Visited January 2014

Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“chef's gone to iceland!”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My partner and I went to the Fox for Sunday dinner after visiting Newark. What a disappointment.

We had chilli prawns for starters, they were coated in batter and certainly not fresh but shaken out of a freezer bag.

The Sunday roast - the vegetables all tasted of water and were over cooked. I don't believe any of it was fresh but cooked from frozen, as were the Yorkshire puddings. I had lamb, the mint sauce was tasty, don't ask about the lamb! and my partner had beef which he said was "okay". The roast potatoes were over cooked on the outside and under cooked on the inside.

If you like your dinner from Iceland, this is the place for you, if you prefer home cooked and fresh my advise is go somewhere else!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Cathy G
Dereham, United Kingdom
“Ideal Pub Grub”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

A marvellous find whilst staying at Kelham Hall just across the road.
We arrived at around 2 minutes to 7pm but the staff were happy to take our order for the special that finished at 7.
They were polite, friendly and absolutely professional without a hint of stuffiness. We were served with a wonderful steak and ale pie (Not the normal pub puff pastry over a bowl of gravy rubbish) that was full of steak chunks and had a real home cooked feel to it.
Decent food at decent prices. Fine by me!

“Late lunch”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stopped at the Fox 2ish and ordered soup. The soup was cold but was rectified quickly by helpful staff. Nice, quiet and clean.

1 Thank JG600
Preston, United Kingdom
“Bad Mannered Pub”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

On Sunday, 1st September at approximately 12:45 my partner and I were passing on our journey from Cambridgeshire to Lancashire and saw The Fox Inn which we thought was beautiful with the flowers and looked forward to going in for a meal.

Upon arrival at the car park we parked in a space which I think another couple wanted who arrived seconds later and looked over at us with disgust. We were there first and I don’t barge in front of others so this was unfortunate for them.

We sat down at a table which was unreserved by the window and although four seats there was plenty of other space. We were deciding what to have when we saw this couple come in and again we noticed a look of disapproval by them as they sat down at a nearby table. They told one of the staff that they were regulars and they normally sit where we were sat, so this member of staff took their side and asked us to move saying the table was reserved and there were only two of us.

This was discrimination against outsiders as there was no reservation marked on the table and just like them there were two of us; so to claim we shouldn’t have it as it was for four when there were only two of them is unacceptable, especially as there was no official reservation.

The arrogance exercised by this couple upset my partner who decided not to bother eating and she was in tears by the time she got to the car.

It looked a nice place and if we had been recognised for our place in the queue – i.e. getting there first without excuses for regulars to have preferential treatment, I think it would have had a good report. After all, the staff were courteous and everything looked ideal. But if customers who have been treated inappropriately who complain don’t get an acknowledgement or apology I think this means it is not worth the recognition it gets since it victimises innocent outsiders over the preference for regular locals.

I have written to the licensee and landlord of the pub Mr and Mrs Winter but haven’t received anything of an acknowledgement. If they think that they can ignore us I certainly won’t let this unacceptable standard of discrimination induced by an arrogant regular couple pass by without shame. It seems I have uncovered another side of the character of this place. That is why I call it The Bad Mannered Pub.

I shall try to visit incognito and see how I get served. I don’t know if I will be remembered but I shall try not to make them aware.

My overall rating is only based on how we were treated as we didn't have anythig to eat or drink.

5 Thank J2R2R