“A weekend with friends very very nice” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kelham House Country Manor Hotel

Kelham House Country Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kelham
goole
“A weekend with friends very very nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Had a weekend here with friends this was very enjoyable and the staff made it great . Stopped in the main house it was clean and very tide ,and fires lit in reception and bar made for a welcome entrance on a horrible night it was blowing a gale and rain lashing down . only negative to say the guest information book in the room would have liked to see a bit of history about the place .who used to own it what was it before a hotel is it listed . This has nothing to do with the hotel its me being interested in old buildings

Room Tip: we had room 4 overlooked the entrance was warm and cosy with double bed ,en-suite ,was surprised how...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JPKelham, Owner at Kelham House Country Manor Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Vangellis0

Thanks for taking the time to leave such a nice review, we're really glad that you and your friends had a lovely stay with us.

We'll have a look at the guest information to see if we can add some history about the house, if you are still interested please go to our website and look on the 'about' section which has some history.In summary our hotel is what was built as the downsized home for the Manners Sutton family when they vacated the enormous Kelham Hall, now the local council offices!

We hope to see you again in the future and we wish you all the very best.

All the Kelham House Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

On arriving at the hotel at 08.30 there was no one on reception. There were 3 staff though chatting and fooling around in the corridor to the kitchen and they did see me. However, no one came and I had to stand there like an idiot. There was a sign to dial a number for assistance but the phone was behind the desk and not obvious if it was for guest use.

After checking in I went to the bar for a drink and ordered a bottle of beer. I took this back to the room but thought it tasted funny so I checked the date and found that it was 5 months out of date. The fridge behind the bar could have held no more than 20 bottles so this is very poor quality management. I walked back to the main building in the rain and trhough the muddy gravel and explained about the beer and asked them to take it off my bill as a minimum and they agreed and would do it straight away. When I went to check out in the morning it was still on the bill, they knew nothing about it so there had clearly been no record and the incident had been ignored. It then took some time and effort to get it removed from the bill and the staff were not very apologetic.

I booked a Super King room with the following description:
COACH HOUSE SUPER KING-1 SUPER KING-ENSUITE- - FREEWIFI-TEACOFFEE-DIGITALTV-IRON-PHONE-MAXOCC3
What I received was two single beds pushed together in room 10. One bed was worn and had a dip and one bed was firm and higher. Therefore you could not sleep accross them as one bed. The ridge in the middle between the beds also made it uncomfortable. This is not a Super King room. I even checked with the receptionist when checking out that this was a King Room and she said yes it is either a King or a twin. My maths would say that two singles pushed togther equal a double at most, not a King and certainly not a Super King that I booked and paid for.

In addition to the bed, there were cobwebs from the main light fitting, the biscuits were crushed into a thousand pieces and only one pack for two cups, the TV was too small for the lenght of the room and difficult to see, the bathroom was dirty. There was dirt and bit of cardboard down the side of the toilet, under the sink there was hair and filth, around the bath panel there was a over a finger nails depth of grime, the shower screen was mouldy and not been washed. I explained my concerns to the receptionist when I checked out regarding the cleanliness of the bathroom, and she said;
"was it just mould"
I don't expect mould in a hotel. I have a shower every day at home and I manage to keep my bathroom free from mould and I don't have a professional cleaner to clean it every day. This comment sums up the lack of pride and level of service at this hotel.

On a positive note the breakfast was very nice and of a good standard.

Room Tip: Be careful of room descriptions. Coach house is ok but you may get wet if it is raining going betwee...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Alex C
JPKelham, Owner at Kelham House Country Manor Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Mr Cook

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and uploading the images you did.

Firstly I'd like personally apologise for the areas of the stay that were below your expectations, I have looked into all aspects of your review to fully understand what happened.

You should have been promptly greeted and I have ensured that the team on duty that night understand the importance of a courteous, prompt greeting to all our guests.

On the beer expiry this is a mystery, we only started stocking Corona about 6 months ago so to have a bottle that far out of date is very odd, but none the less we have checked all our stock in the bar and the cellar and no other bottle was out of date, I can only apologise for this occurrence. The bill should have been amended and I have asked all staff be fully trained to be able to carry out such actions.

I have inspected the bedroom and cannot agree with you on the cleanliness, the images uploaded clearly show the bath panel pushed back from it's natural position which of course will expose dirt, clearly the silicone strip is visible where it has been moved.

On the subject of the bed, and its not often I say this to a customer but I totally disagree with you, and here's my reasoning. Zip and Link beds are a standard issue piece of kit to hotels, as they allow the room to be used flexibly as a twin or a Super King bed. They are designed to do this and I have tested it and am fully satisfied with the comfort of the bed. as are many of our regular customers who request the Super King Coach House rooms. Hypnos, our bed supplier specialise in hospitality bedroom furniture and the quality is unsurpassed. Two singles (90cm width each) equal 180cm which is the width of a Super King size bed, I am satisfied that there is no misrepresentation of our rooms.

I will personally inspect all the areas that you have mentioned in relation to cleanliness with housekeeping and anything we find will be corrected and brought up to standard.

To be clear, all feedback is gratefully received whether it is positive or not and is taken with the utmost importance, it's obvious you were annoyed from the first interaction as you have every right to be but we are very proud of our hotel, we have very high standards and will endeavour to ensure that none of the detrimental elements of your stay are revisited.

I'd love to welcome you back in the future in order to try and show us to be the business I know we are, your comments really have been taken into consideration so thanks again.

Jon-Paul Davies

Kelham House Hotel
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Came here with a large family group on Christmas day for dinner and we were very impressed all round.The staff were friendly and seemed to make the extra effort for christmas day. The champagne/bucks fizz on arrival was a nice touch.We were in a nice small room with only a couple of other tables so it was a nice atmosphere.The food was really good, infact the portions were a little bit too big for some if anything, but not complaining about that!

JPKelham, Owner at Kelham House Country Manor Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Adamcobb

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review after you Christmas lunch at the hotel, and we're all really glad that you and your family had a good time with us, your kind comments have been passed back to all the team and I've asked chef to cut back on the portions for next time!

All the best and wishing you a happy 2014

The Kelham House Team
Farnborough, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

Lovely little hotel just around the corner from the contact centre where I volunteered. Lovely staff and chilled atmosphere. Rooms tidy and clean. Really recommend he haddock for breakfast.

Also try and ask for a room in the manor house as when it's wet and windy (often in this part if the world) you don't want to be walking outside to get to your room.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear IanR

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review of your recent stay with us. Your kind comments have been passed on to the team and yes, I'm afraid the weather is one of the things that we have no control over although we'll keep trying!

Best Regards and we hope to see you again

The Kelham House team
Grantham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

We owe Kelham House a huge thank you for making our special day absolutely perfect. The staff were incredible and every request we threw at them they made happen. Everyone who attended thought it was a wonderful place and the staff were amazing. Often at weddings the service can be slow but they were so quick and organised... Eugene (sorry if I spelt wrong) even saw people coming and poured their drinks...a touch that went down very well :). Nicola was our main contact prior - she really is very good at her job and will help as much as poss, sometimes with very late notice. The chef did an excellent job of feeding 77 people at the same time... The choc brownie is to die for!!!!! A huge thank you needs to go to nina - I stayed the night before and she made me feel like we had been friends for years! She went out of her way to help us with everything!!! Everyone at breakfast the day after the wedding thought the world of her... She even coped with 3very hungover lads!! I would highly recommend kelham house, not only because it is a beautiful place with lovely gardens, but because the staff really contribute to making your day as special as possible. Thanks to everyone again - mr and mrs Winn :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Katie W
Dear Katie

Thanks so much for leaving such a lovely review about your recent wedding with us, and don't worry all your name spellings are spot on!!!

We've made sure that all the team have seen your lovely review and on our behalf thanks so much for choosing us to share in your special day, all our weddings are magical and we always strive to do our best for our guests. We're really proud of the team and thanks for your kind words about the team, and Nina in particular are great to hear, they are a good bunch!

Please let me take this opportunity to wish you and Mr Winn all the very best for the future and we hope to see you again in the future.

Thanks again

All the team at Kelham House :-)
Loughborough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Our head office is based locally, so we use this hotel a lot - as I live a fair way away I have stayed here several times and have finally got round to writing a few words. It's a lovely building and setting, the rooms are well furnished and appointed, the food is good and overall the value is excellent. I should also mention that Nina is an excellent addition to a good and attentive staff base.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Simon

Thanks for taking the time to leave this great review, the sign of a happy guest is a returning guest so it's great to hear from you.

Nina is a great part of the team and we're lucky to have her, I'll be sure to make sure that she has seen this feedback.

Hope to see you again soon,

Jon-Paul and all at Kelham House
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Not wanting to write a book, all I can say from our first visit with my daughter and now son-in-law over a year ago, through to what was a truly amazing wedding on Saturday, Kelham has agreed to all our various requests, met with us at convenient times to discuss details and provided a first class reception on Saturday. Food was served quickly and hot and exactly as ordered. Staff were attentive and helpful and we really could not have wished for a better place to hold our daughter's wedding.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Caroline N
JPKelham, Owner at Kelham House Country Manor Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Caroline N

Thanks so much for leaving such great feedback about your recent experience with us for Hannah's wedding, it's always so important that our weddings go exactly as our brides & grooms (and families of course!) want them to, so I'll make sure all the events team see your lovely review.

Please pass on our very best wishes to the happy couple and we wish you all the very best for the future.

Jon-Paul & all the team at Kelham House
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kelham
Saracens Head Hotel
Cockliffe Country House Hotel
BEST WESTERN Deincourt Hotel
BEST WESTERN Deincourt Hotel
#6 of 6 in Newark-on-Trent

Been to Kelham House Country Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!