“Lovely setting with great potential”

Kelham House Country Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kelham
Newark
“Lovely setting with great potential”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

My wife and I visited the Kelham House Country Manor Hotel for the first time via Groupon on the Thursday 10th November 11. We were made to feel very welcome on entering and after my wife had been asked for her coat we were taken to a warm and comforting bar for pre-dinner drinks and at the same time given a menu to order our food. After ordering we did not have to wait long before taken in to one of the dining rooms which even though was very clean but too clinical and lacked character for that overall ambience of dining. The food was well cooked and presented, but a little more imagination could be used on the selection of vegetables offered ( carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and new potatoes) and In my opinion the menu could be a little more detailed to the lamb as we did not realise it was served on the bone as a lamb shank and on special evenings when one dresses for the occasion I feel it is not the right choice of dish( I suggest the waiter can just explain to the customer that the lamb is on the bone and check they are happy with their choice). Desserts were lovely and it was nice to finish up in the bar for a very nice cup of coffee. Overall a very nice evening and would consider returning again and with a little bit of fine tuning the Kelham House Country Manor Hotel could be an excellent place to stay and dine.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
JPKelham, Owner at Kelham House Country Manor Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear NewarkDelBoy

Firstly thank you for taking the time to leave a review for your Groupon dinner with us. It was a great way for us to get the word out on our little corner of the world. Sorry it's taken so long to respond but we've been very busy finishing our new function and banqueting suite. We're so glad that your feedback is on the whole positive, our chef and his team work very hard to produce great food, and your feedback has gone to the team to ensure that any development points are taken into account. Certainly an explanation of the meat would have we're sure helped you on this occasion.

We are putting some finishing touches to the decor of the restaurant and we have also introduced flowers to the tables to add a little something, small touches that we hope will make all the difference.

We hope you visit us in the future and look forward to hearing more valuable reviews.

Fondest Regards

Charlotte and Jon-Paul Davies and the Kelham House Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Lancing, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We chose this hotel for a relaxing weekend away, as we wanted to visit Lincoln Cathedral and Castle and it was ideally situated. First impressions were very good, with an entrance hall reflecting the original style of the house and a warm welcome. Our bedroom was beautifully furnished, with excellent views from the three windows. It was nice to have a two-seater sofa in the room, as most hotels we've stayed in only have one comfortable chair, which means that one of us has to sit on the bed to watch the television. We liked the choice of modern bathroom fittings, which were spotless. However, I could not get to grips with the sliding shower screen and managed to flood the floor!! That said, there was plenty of hot water, as I always spend ages in the shower.

We were a little disappointed with the dining room, as it does not have much character - I don't know whether it isn't finished yet. Some paintings or prints on the walls would make a difference - something in keeping with the age of the property. This also applies in the bar area, where some soft drapes at the windows would make it more cosy. We did feel that the menu was rather limited, especially as we were staying for three nights and there was no change in this time. Perhaps having a different chef's special every night, running alongside the main menu, would give more choice. Having said that, we were happy with the food and service, and we were able to have a different choice in the bar, where the food was of the same high standard as in the main restaurant. My Lincolnshire sausages and mash were yummy.

Overall, we very much enjoyed our stay at Kelham House and would certainly go back again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
JPKelham, Owner at Kelham House Country Manor Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear Janice

Firstly thank you for your review, it's always so valuable for us to see a direct response to their experience so that we can, wherever possible celebrate the good and work on any areas of development.

It's great to hear you enjoyed room 3, it really is a fantastic room and one that our guests repeatedly tell us they'd like to lift out and take home!

The comments around the dining rooms is one we'll discuss as a management team, and balance with other feedback from customers as its something that is always going to be subjective and with all the best will in then world I don't think we'll ever create something that pleases everyone!

Your comments on the food are fair, we do at the moment change the a la carte menu weekly but our aim is to have a fixed a la carte with all our favourite dishes but complement them with specials that change daily, so I'm summary we completely agree.

Again thanks for your review and we are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope if you visit the area again we'll be at the top of your list.

Best Regards

Jon-Paul & Charlotte Davies and all at Kelham House Hotel.
Lincoln
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We booked a table for 2 with a groupon coupon. We had stopped at the hotel for a coffee a few years ago and were pleased to find that the hotel has been up graded to a high standard the bar area and dining rooms are very nice. As for the food and service we could not fault it, in fact it was one of the best meals we have had in a long time.
I am sure we will return in the future.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Michael

Thanks so much for your positive review about our restaurant, the groupon promotion has been a resounding success and it's been well worthwhile to see so many people visiting us for the first time, enjoying the food and experience and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Jon-Paul & Charlotte Davies and all the team at Kelham House
UK
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Booked a table for 4 via Groupon. OK I know it's Groupon but to me it is a great chance for a company to show its best and get you back in the door...

First impressions were great. A large roomy entrance hall, modern and really giving a good impression. Into the bar area for pre-dinner drinks; again a good impression although the bar prices were on the top end but no problem.

We seemed to be ages in the bar and then went to our dining room. The dining rooms were on the left or right - it made me wonder if Groupon were allocated a room away from 'regular' guests? Anyway we went into the dining room and I was so disappointed, it was like going into an old folks' home compared to what we had seen earlier. It was like they had not yet finished the refurb, perhaps they haven't.

Food: the pate was lovely but the French onion soup was not good; very salty and so dark like a soya sauce! We paid extra for the steak which was great. Homemade chips were ok but the oil used left a very strong distinct taste on them. I am not so sure either about the gravy in the small cup - it was a pretty heavy consistency, very 'glupy' and not so good. Desert was good.

Am I being too critical? No I don't think so. There is so much potential here but it just hasn't got to its best. Would I try again? May be. I was left feeling disappointed and there are lots of other good places out there so they really have to get this right.

Just for info we paid £35 for drinks (4 lager shandies, 3 wines & 1 coffee & £6 steak) so added to the Groupon it was just under £90 for dinner but we were left disappointed...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dear ClonPete

Firstly thank you for taking the time to feedback to us on your experience with the groupon deal at the Kitchen Garden.

On the positives you've written about thank you, it's great to have balanced responses that we can take back to the team, discuss and make the necessary changes where applicable.

On the dining rooms the hotel has always been set up in this way and we actually aim to do the exact opposite of your view, our aim with Groupon was to 'top up' the restaurant tables along side our residents and other diners, everyone is equal in our eyes!

I will spend some time with the kitchen team reviewing the feedback on the food and make sure where we can improve, we will.

The refurbishment is indeed complete, and we know how subjective such a big change is and really enjoy hearing peoples views (I spent 10 minutes last night discussing it with a diner last night!). We always review this, and will make the right decisions on evolving the look and feel of the decor as time goes on with customer feedback high on our list of considerations.

I'm glad despite the development you felt needed to happen you would still consider us in the future, we will always strive to continually improve and remain committed to always delivering a great product at an appropriate price, so we look forward to seeing you in the future and hearing your views.

Best Regards

Jon-Paul & Charlotte Davies and all at Kelham House Hotel.
Somerset
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I have stayed here many times in the last few years when it was called the Red House Hotel. This was my first visit since the makeover and I stayed in one of the new coach houses. The room was very nice and modern with a wet room (no bath) and some impressive lights. The bed was comfortable and everything was clean and new. I used to love the food in the restaurant but was a little dissapointed this visit as the food was not to the standard I expected. There was nothing wrong with the food just the menu was limited and the dishes were not as exciting as previous. Maybe a change of chef? Overall very good and recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
JPKelham, Owner at Kelham House Country Manor Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Dear SomersetRickyDude

Firstly thanks for taking the time to leave feedback on your stay with us at Kelham House.

It's always nice to have people come to the hotel who stayed while it was the Red House, the before and after comments are always of particular interest as we don't want to have lost any positives the hotel had previously.

We're very happy that the rooms were a hit, the Coach House is something that we're really proud of as the first part of the refurbishment we undertook at the hotel.

Apologies that you didn't feel that the food was up to the usual standard, without knowing exactly when you stayed with us it's difficult to comment as one chef left, we had to get agency cover in (which I suspect may have been when you stayed) and another, fantastic chef has subsequently joined us.

We hope to see you again in the future and look forward to hearing your views then.

Best Regards

Charlotte and Jon-Paul Davies, Kelham House Hotel.
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Lovely hotel but a few moans. Provided salad sandwiches despite being asked for ham salad - and no reduction from the tough blond lady manager despite it being raised. Very hard bed in room 10 - our grown up kids occupied 2 other rooms and all agreed as to it's rock- like consistency. All the other staff were lovely, let down by the tough blond.

• Stayed September 2011
JPKelham, Owner at Kelham House Country Manor Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear Kehj,

Firstly let me apologise for the parts of your stay that didn't meet your expectations, we're very sorry that you didn't have a faultless time with us.

It's a shame you didn't enjoy our beds, they were all replaced in April this year for top quality Hotel grade Hypnos beds and mattresses, we thought if they were good enough for the Queen they'd be suitable for our little corner of the world!

On your comments regards our receptionist please accept my deepest apologies again, I'm very disappointed to hear one of our team members left you feeling this way, and also that the food issues were not addressed to your satisfaction, I was made aware of these issues on Monday morning and when I have investigated this thoroughly will contact you directly to update you.

Again thank you for being so honest in your feedback, it is the best way for us to look at what we do, make improvements and ensure our business continues to succeed and to give our customers the best experience we can.

Jon-Paul & Charlotte Davies

Kelham House Hotel, Newark
Warwick
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My father in law booked Kelham House for a family weekend. According to the website you can choose your room, and book accordingly. He spoke to the hotel and booked a room for he and his wife with a king size bed and Room 11 for me and my husband - this is one with super king size bed. Both being tall we generally need a lot of space in hotel beds! The experience didn't start well when we checked in and found Room 11 was already occupied. And not by us. They could only offer us a double bedded room. Pretty poor show really when the booking had been made several weeks in advance. Consequently we had to agree to play "room swap" with our (shorter in stature) in laws to poach their king sized bed and relegate them to the proferred double. The manager was apologetic but it doesn't really excuse the mess up.
Kelham House has been completely refurbished. Whilst it has clearly been done thoroughly it has also stripped any country house atmosphere from the building that may have once existed. It feels like a Marriott with fancier curtains. The Kitchen Garden restaurant has a big billing on the website. It doesn't really deliver, with the dinner menu tasting pretty bland, under seasoned and service being amateur if willing. Breakfast was certainly not what you'd expect in a hotel purporting to fall in this category. Tinned peaches and grapefruit, an apology for only having white toast as they'd "sold out" of brown, and with that being the cheapest nastiest fluff I have eaten since school days! Tea and coffee stood in large flasks on a table where you help yourself to a stewed cup, My Eggs Benedict appeared to have been robbed of its Hollandaise. The other English breakfasts were good; hot and well presented. Our feedback regarding this was listened to with concern by the manager. I understand a bottle of wine was offered for the inconvenience. However, I don't want free wine when I stay away from home, I want an establishment that gets things right and provides a service that lives up to its billing. Had I wanted a double bed and a mediocre breakfast I'd have stayed in the Travelodge on the A1. What a shame that Kelham could be so good but failed us on this visit. Stunning grounds, lovely gardens, lots of potential. 6/10. Must try harder....

Room Tip: Room 5 is roomy, with a decent bathroom and kind sized bed and at the front of the hotel. Room 2 had...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
JPKelham, Manager at Kelham House Country Manor Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Dear LottieFox,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience while at our hotel.
After speaking with Mark over the weekend and reading your guest feedback form we were of course already in the process of investigating each issue thoroughly.

First and foremost, on behalf of ourselves and our team please accept our deepest apologies. We didn't go through the sweat, tears and hours of hard work refurbishing the hotel, training the team and updating our processes to deliver this experience to anyone. Our intention, which as you refer to is pointed out on our website is to deliver an excellent, seamless service that does delight our customers. On this occasion however, we missed the mark.

I'll summarise some issues and address below.

Room swap - Our IT system allows rooms that have been specifically reserved to be 'locked', so as to avoid this kind of situation, we have re-trained all staff on this to ensure what is asked for is not allocated elsewhere. It was unacceptable you didn't get your rooms and I know Mark felt terrible for the error.

Refurbishment - Some of the original features of the house may have been removed over the years, but certainly not as a result of our refurbishment. We have re-instated fireplaces, painstakingly repaired the beautiful sash windows and retained any original feature we could. You refer to room 5 in your feedback which actually is the room where we uncovered an original fireplace we re-instated. Unfortunately whatever was removed prior to our acquisition is long gone. I'd like to take the Marriott reference as a compliment; I've stayed in some beautiful Marriots!

Kitchen Garden - We're sorry the food didn't meet your expectations; I know Mark was surprised however by this feedback as he'd been working hard to recover your spirits after the room swap and was left feeling that you'd enjoyed our food at the time from speaking to you. Chef has received your feedback.

Breakfast - The bread was a substitute from our supplier and will NEVER darken our doors again, it's now for the birds. Brown bread will forever more be the most stocked item in our kitchen. Everyone that was working over the weekend who realised we'd run out, and not replaced it has been on the receiving end of a very direct conversation on using common sense, I really am very sorry about that. All our wait staff have the direct instruction that function urns are NOT to be used for breakfast; this was the result of someone thinking they were helping but failing, this has been rectified. The other food feedback has been passed to the kitchen to be addressed.

The offer of wine was of course a measure of goodwill, which was in abundance to try and improve your opinion of the hotel. I know that Mark also gave your in-laws one of our luxury Elemis pamper kits which he said they were appreciative of on their second night with us as well as the discount they received on the room. In our ideal world things of course don't go wrong, and as is the experience for the vast majority of our guests they have a great time, we meet their needs and give them a lovely time that means they'll return one day. I know that wasn't the case for your family and that will always be a disappointment to us and the team.

Thank you for being so thorough and honest in your feedback to us so that we can take it and ensure that these situations do not happen again, which I hope you will feel acts as an acknowledgement of your feedback.

Jon-Paul & Charlotte Davies

Kelham House Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kelham
Best Western Deincourt Hotel
Millgate House Hotel
#5 of 6 in Newark-on-Trent
Cockliffe Country House Hotel
Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa

Been to Kelham House Country Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!