“Mmmmm Sunday lunch”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #4 of 19 Restaurants in Edwinstowe
Description: The Royal Oak is situated on the high street of Edwinstowe village, 2 minutes from Sherwood Forest the legendary stomping ground of Robin Hood and home of the Major Oak tree. We offer great value locally sourced menu's in warm beautiful surroundings along with a good range of real ales, fine wines and fresh ground coffee. We are dog friendly and hold a weekly quiz every Sunday evening.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Popped in for Sunday Lunch last weekend and I think it was probably one of the best Sunday Roasts I’ve had in a long time. The Beef was cooked to perfection and although I don’t normally go for a dessert I do love a Cherry Bakewell Tart and I’m so happy I did as it was great. No complaints from the Husband either on his meals. Think we may have found our new Sunday Lunch venue. The service and environment were also fantastic.

Date of visit: August 2019
Write a reviewReviews (238)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We went for a family meal. The menu descriptions sounded lovely however the standard of food didn’t match the description. Our starters were disappointingly small and not nearly as tasty as we thought they would be. Likewise for the mains. Portions were small, some things were scoldingly hot almost as if they had been super heated in a microwave or left standing in a hot oven. Mashed potatoes and meat was overly dry. Overall a big disappointment especially when you compare the price of other pubs in the area. It’s on the more expensive side (because of the location right next to Sherwood Forest). However the quality of the food is not comparable with the price and the standard is that of a cheaper place. I personally would only come here for drinks. The drinks were fine.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Only popped in for a drink whilst waiting for our bnb to be ready. Staff were really warm and welcoming. Very helpful in terms of trying to fit us in to eat the next day even though we didnt know the size of the group or what time we wanted to eat!

Thanks team!

Reviewed August 7, 2019

We went for a family lunch, it’s a lovely pub in a beautiful village. We ordered a child’s meal, a small fish and chips for my elder child and a chicken breast , served with mashed potato and seasonal veg off the light bite menus for £8.50. The children’s meals came and were ok size for children but when they brought mine it was smaller than the children’s meal and that’s not an exaggeration. I actually laughed when the waitress brought it over and said you were not lying when you said light meal, she also laughed. Honestly it was a battered out chicken breast so thin, 1 dollop of mash the size of a table spoon and 1 dollop of green veg , that was it served on a tea plate. If a child had received this then ok but £8.50 for that size lunch is a joke. Very overpriced and also I would call it a snack not lunch, I’ve been and bought myself something else to cook from the supermarket. Really disappointed .

Reviewed August 4, 2019 via mobile

This is our new favourite place for Sunday lunch , we cannot fault anything about it. Reasonably priced, excellent quick service and delicious food! and that gravy is
Love how the kitchen is on show as orders are prepped. We saw a variety of dishes come out and they all looked delicious. We will definitely be back again. Compliments to the chef/s and the rest of your team!