“70th birthday dinner”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Edwinstowe
Stockport, United Kingdom
“70th birthday dinner”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

To celebrate my 70th birthday,we had dinner for 20 people,including 7 children( the youngest aged 3) I am very pleased we chose this hotel. The choice and quality of food was excellent and the staff went out of their way to make our celebration the success it was.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank David W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Bahrain
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We have just come back from the Forest Lodge & as my title suggests, I am in rather a quandary as how best to write this review! I was here attending a wedding so family had the whole lodge booked. My room was number 1, the tv small, the door handle to the en-suite would come off in your hand & the shower was a mere trickle! My sons had room 7, beautifully decorated room with large bathroom, double & single bed & 32" plasma. My father was in the disabled room as he has false legs & found it difficult to move about the room & almost impossible to shower & my sister had the bridal suite, this seemed below par to the other rooms also. There was a set price for all rooms & this isn't reflected in the room standard! The staff were nice. The English Breakfast & Eggs Benedict seemed nice but I cannot say I was bowled over by the food, rooms or service!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
montauban, Owner at The Forest Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for your review and, in addition, for acting as spokesperson for those other guests who were either unable or unwilling to write a review. In response:

1. The building is 250 years old and therefore all of our rooms are different shapes and sizes.
2. Room 1 was redecorated recently. Regarding the TV, I am slightly unsure as to how to comment on size in this context; I suspect that it depends on personal preference. We have never before had concern expressed about the disappointing size of our equipment and all of our TVs are equipped to provide suitable entertainment. As to what would appear to have been an issue with the shower pressure, I can only try and resolve this if it's brought to my attention whilst the guest is here.
3. Concerning the room for those people with limited mobility, we are rated '1' under the National Accessible Scheme and meet the VisitEngland criteria for our category with ramps to ground floor rooms and grab bars. I personally checked the guests into this room and they seemed to be quite happy, the gentleman even shaking my hand as I left the room. Something clearly changed between their arrival back from the wedding later that evening and the following morning when they checked out.
4. The bride and groom booked and allocated all of the rooms to family and friends well in advance of their wedding and negotiated discounted rates for some of the rooms.
5. Our team went out of their way to ensure that rooms were ready well before our check-in time of 2pm in order that guests could get changed for the wedding and arrive at church for 1.30pm. This despite the fact that nobody had requested an early check-in. In my opinion, this represents excellent service and does not deserve the comment in the final sentence of the review.

On a final note, I'm disappointed that you were not especially impressed during your stay with us and take consolation in the fact that your review appears to run contrary to almost all of the others.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was our third visit to the Forest Lodge, this time for 3 nights.

As with the other two times, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and find it difficult to fault it. The rooms are refurbished and tastefully decorated/furnished in a contemporary style with a modern bathroom and the tea/coffee facilites even include a cafetiere.

The food is delicious and the quality of the service is very good.

The historic building of the Forest Lodge is a relaxing place to spend a few days or to have a meal. It is only 5-10 minutes' walk away from the Major Oak. We definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed here last year for a night during the Robin hood festival, and was not disappointed this time, fab room overlooking the church, lovely room, clean and tidy with four poster!! Wonderful staff very helpful as always, had a laugh with them during our stay, beers kept really well which is important to the menfolk, good house red wine, had a few bottles. Once again will stay there again and recommend it to anyone as a fab place to stay. !!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were really impressed with the refurbished restaurant. Everything looked really bright and contemporary whilst retaining the old fashioned charm.

Really disappointed however with the meal, we both had the rolled chicken breast, and for nearly £15.00, we were disappointed to get a rather dry chicken breast and a sliced potatoe with a bit of pesto.

We have had some lovely meals here and hope this is a one off.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Angela B
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My new husband and I stayed here the night of our wedding, having been married at Sherwood Forest. The room was absolutely beautiful but more importantly the service was AMAZING. Nothing was too much trouble. We both ordered the full breakfast - which was absolutely wonderful - staff were incredibly attentive and our every whim and fancy was catered for.
My husband went to the hotel to have lunch a few weeks before the wedding and all he did was rave about his 'chicken in a basket' (which he dubbed 'chicken in a hamper') - I'm going to have a hard task catering for him now he's experienced this, but we'll both be looking for any excuse to go back to The Forest Lodge. Thank you so much to all the staff there for making the experience a truly memorable one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My son and daughter in law were getting married at Sherwood Forest so 7 members of the family stayed her night before wedding Fri 19th July and night of wedding 20th July. We were joined by the newely weds on the saturday night.
This hotel is family ran concern, we met Ashely and his mother Nina who make sure your stay is perfect. Every member of staff makes you feel really welcome. On the Friday night we arrived late just as kitchen was closing but Clark and Sam ensured that we had a meal. The food quality and presentation is second to none.( Thanks to chef and kitchen staff)
Breakfast was also perfect with nothing too much trouble, Lynn, Natalie and Helen couldnt do enough to make sure that we had everything we wanted.
Thanks again for a wonderful stay and hope to be back again.
Anne-Marie and Jerry Murphy

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edwinstowe
Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa
Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant
Saracens Head Hotel
Saracens Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in Southwell

Been to The Forest Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!