“A great few hours!”

Hodsock Priory
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Blyth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Hodsock Priory is a wedding venue on a private estate surrounded by North Nottinghamshire countryside and easily accessible from the A1 and M1 at Blyth. Nationally famous for its winter garden and displays of snowdrops - open in February only each year. Wrap up warm and enjoy a walk in the woods then have a cup of tea a slice of home-made cake by the bonfire.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“A great few hours!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I just wanted to write a belated review for Hodsock Priory. I visited in February with my husband and 4 yr old son.

Our visit happened to coincide with a Food Fair, which had lots of yummy food and craft stalls. Yes, I emptied my purse and expanded my waist line! Personally, I have nothing to whinge about.

A lovely walk through the grounds, lots of snow drops, a natural play area for my son, a warm fire, a delicious bacon butty and a cup of tea. I can't comment on prices as my husband paid, but I didnt hear him complain.

Yes my son got muddy but for me more mud, equals more fun, equals a tired child at the end of the day!

It is what it is. A snowdrop walk through the grounds of a private home, and I would like to say thank you for sharing it with us. We shall be back next year and look forward to seeing what changes have been made.

Market Harborough
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Conference Venue”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I visited for a conference and was delighted with the venue. It rooms were lovely, we were made very welcome, the gardens were beautiful. I think it is more for weddings but it made a great conference centre too. Light, with french doors the length of the room, looking out over the gardens.

Car parking could be difficult if it was bad weather as you park on the grass, so it could be muddy and we couldn’t get wifi in the room but we had planned around that.

Gorgeous for a wedding or celebration and lovely for a conference.

Visited March 2013
Barnsley, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our Hodsock Dream”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My fiancee and I have not yet had our wedding at Hodsock Priory but we truly cannot wait for the date.

We had searched Yorkshire for a venue as we live in a small village in Barnsley. Then, on one fateful day, 18 months ago, we were steered towards Hodsock Priory by my fiancees auntie. Although my nana had live five miles from Hodsock her entire life I had never heard of it before.

Yet, moving to, and living in, Florida for 20 years may have had something to do with that!

So, on a whim, my fiancee, myself and her parents went to see Hodsock Priory.

The long quiet drive in really excited us. Then, when we saw the grounds at the end of the drive we actually gasped! A few seconds later we saw the priory: magestic. My fiancee and I looked at one another and knew we had to see it all.

Two days later we were welcomed by Lynda and her lovely, cheeky smile. She showed us everything Hodsock had to offer and answered every question we had on the spot. I suppose working there for over 20 years will guarantee that to those who visit. We were sold.

We have visited Hodsock Priory five times more since that first visit and the grand old place has only improved every time.

We met George Buchanan the second visit and were warmly greeted and certainly charmed by him and his expansive knowledge of his family home.

Our most recent visit, and the reason I write tonight, was February 24. Hodsock was hosting a food and country fair and it was awesome. The food was magnificent, the people working on the stalls and for Hodsock were gracious and the grounds had had a bit of a face lift which I never realised could improve the overall effect of the venue. A gardener I am not.

We went that day with my fiancees mother and father and my aunt and uncle. They loved it as much as we did. Furthermore, we were all impressed that despite the thousands of people that Hodsock had recently welcomed for the sparkling snowdrops and all the other events in between, George and Lynda still remembered who we were by face and name. Remarkable.

No stone is left unturned at Hodsock Priory. Myself, my bride-to-be and both our families are so happy to have found a place that we can share our special day at but also many others days to come.

I just hope the weather behaves on our day!

Wisbech
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Oh dear,what have you done to it!!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Over the years come snowdrop time we have headed to Hodsock home of some of the best sights of snowdrops in the wild.We found this little jem 5 or so years ago,and enjoyed our first trip round,almost magical scenery,frosty cold but stunning,the large old house ,large gardens,and a glimpse inside at the lovely paintings,frescos,and not least the lovely warm soup and crusty roll,onfeeling warm and refreshed we spent hours literally admiring the lovey bulbs displayed around the gardens,shrubs in flower etc,before following the well trodden trail to the snowdrop "woods,not only snowdrops but large clumps of helebores too.This year not sure of openings times I checked on the website,horror of horrors!! house closed,new paths,marques as well,oops didn`t tell other half,perhaps it would be ok?.Arrived to a almost empty carpark 11.30 ish not a good sign,made way across fields to new entrance,and paid our fee`s, well could hardly miss the marques,see photos!! saw a timetable for talks and signs for cafe/shop.Walked around front of house to be greeted by new gates with notices keep out blimey!went bit further yes could still see house from a distance,everywere seemed bare ,few bulbs and plants here and there,still the bee hives etc,gosh hope wood is still there.A callof nature next into some new loos see pic`s ok.walked into belt of trees,what wood ?all been trimmed away,few new trees,even less snowdrops,no birds!came back to shop even smaller now,wife almost in tears and said lets go,find somewere else 4 us to eat whoops Hodsock.Reason for above, note on loo said 20k people last year gosh!all that lolly, traipsed thru the house etc,exscuse me thats why they and us came,ok, hope you can make more money from weddings ,corporate doe`s cause it will take the garden/woods years to recover from what I saw! clearing everything back ,cant blame Health and safety for this? ah well Anglesea Abbey next year and not so far to travel either!

1 Thank rodWisbech
George B, General Manager at Hodsock Priory, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Well Sir, it looks like you do not favour the changes we are starting to make, to cater for the needs of our visitors. Thank you for letting us know, and for extensively photographing some of the unfinished 'work in progress' online. The gardens, woods, snowdrops, hellebores, witch hazel, aconites and irises have looked better than ever this year. Our staff have worked hard to meet and greet our visitors throughout the snowdrop season, explaining the new changes. It's the shorter route from the car park to the entrance, the new toilets and tearoom arrangements that have split the jury. We assure you the spirit of Hodsock is very much the same. We are all looking forward to the weather finally drying up so we can complete the landscaping back to what you will remember fondly. More trees and snowdrops have already been planted, the grass seed will take in the spring and the toilets will disappear into the natural landscape. Thank you again for letting us know your thoughts.
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Just off the A1”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The snowdrops are beautifull. If you want to buy any bulbs bring your cheque book. The catering is expensive and not good. Better to go up the road to the White Swan in Blyth.

1 Thank Richard S
Thank you reviewing Hodsock - we are very centrally located just 2 miles from the A1 at Blyth in Nottinghamshire. And if you fancy a pub lunch rather than a traditional garden tearoom - we recommend all 4 pubs in Blyth, the White Swan being of a particularly high standard.