“It's a Trap”

Trapper John's Canoe Livery
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Decided to go out on the water with my sister and meet up with some friends on the creek. I have my own kayaks so we were just going to launch from there. Upon arriving I told the parking attendant exactly what I was doing. He said ok and told me where to go and what to do. All seemed well until I pull out and get on the road. All of the sudden a guy who I’m pretty sure was the owner comes out running and yelling at the top of his lungs "Where are you going?" I politely pull in and tell him the same thing I told the parking attendant. After he created a big scene, all seemed well again. I drive 4 miles out and park my truck and come back to John's to launch. After getting out on the water, I don’t make it even 10 ft and he the same guy comes running down hill making a scene. He says that now he needs to charge a launching fee since I’ll be walking across his property. I asked him why he didn’t say anything to me when we first talked. I said that I realize that he is a small business and needs to make money but I wasn’t using anything of his and would even go launch across the street at the park so I wouldn’t use one of his parking spots. His reply was that since I walked across his land he has to charge me. I even told him how I’ve been there before without any issues and how I’ve brought friends and family there in the past which they've rented from him. He was insistent in collecting the "access fee". Instead of arguing with him creating an even bigger scene I went up and paid the trolls toll. What bothers me is the unprofessionalism and scene he demonstrated in front of everyone. Nowhere on his website is there listed an "access fee" and after I told him what I was doing, he sent me on my way and then comes at with a fee for walking onto his property. This is not how you do business. I’ve rented from him twice last year where money came out of my bank account. Every August we get together with 6-10 people in which we rent 4-8 kayaks, needless to say I will make sure that doesn’t happen. 4-8 kayaks at $20 a pop is $80-$160 that he will be missing this year. I guessing he is hard up for money and I hope the access fee was worth all the money he would have made in years to come. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND.

11  Thank BrianC413

Reviewed May 28, 2013

What a beautiful day! Sun shining, just canoeing through the nature preserve! The staff was super friendly! Have been going here for years and it never disappoints!

Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

i agree with the first review, they are very rude, treat you like kids, i m un my thirties too. The man in charge, i think the owner, yell at you all the time. I think as long as you are not a family they will treat you as college kid. Not responsible and alcoholic. And yes they don t hesitate to search your bags and cooler. Besides that the river is not awesome but pleasant. there is a bunch of beach you can stop at which is nice. But just because of this person I will never come back

9  Thank Odraix
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Living not to far from here I come at least once or twice a year. I love it. Very relaxing, everything in good order. Will continue to come back

Reviewed July 9, 2012

first of all i called a day in advance, spoke to an employee about what trip we wanted to take. we wanted to do the lower trip which is 2-4 hours long. she told me that was fine, they just werent running the all day trip due to low water. once we arrived we were told we could only do the sampler (1-2 hour trip), over half our group traveled an hour or more just to get there. i also read on the website (according to their rules) there is no alcohol permitted on the upper trip. once we agreed for the short trip, we were carrying our coolers to the canoes and an employee tells us to put our coolers down because hes checking for alcohol. before i can even tell him what is in my cooler he just starts digging through my cooler. he did the same for everybody else and basically yelled at us like we were ten years old. we are all in our thirties. its one thing to tell you "hey, we're not allowing alcohol today due to extreme heat" but it wasnt like that. the WORST experience ive by far had at a canoeing place. Extremely rude people. Go somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!

14  Thank mark d