“Almost Perfect”

Hilton Garden Inn Columbus/Grove City
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Grove City
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The hotel is great for just about everything............ except for breakfast. How can something that looks so good taste so bland? We stayed here for two days and were extremely happy with everything except the breakfast. It had all the right components - omelet, bacon, and hashbrowns but on both mornings of our stay the breakfast had no flavor. Fortunately breakfast was free because of our Hilton Honors status but I feel bad for folks that paid for it. If you're not a breakfast eater then this is the place for you! Super clean rooms - super friendly staff - nice pool and hot tub and close to downtown but not right in the downtown mess. Also - anything you would need in terms of stores or restaurants is right outside your door on Stringtown Rd. One other side note - this HGI doesn't have any suites like some HGI's do - so if you're looking for a suite to spread out in, this isn't the place. I wish I could say we'd be back but my family likes to start the day with a good breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Joe H, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbus/Grove City, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Im very glad we made your stay pleasant and everyone here is always happy to see our guest leaving feedback. While I do apologize for the breakfast experience, we are always striving to improve the customers experience. I understand breakfast is important to you and I hope you will give us a try again and give us another chance to please you. We are currently making changes to better improve the breakfast experience for our guest by changing the way we prepare the food. Everyone should get to enjoy a good and hearty breakfast before starting their day.

And while I apologize that we didn't have the type of suite you were interested in, we do offer a Whirlpool Suite and a Junior Suite. These rooms provide more living space and the Junior offers a pull out couch as well. I hope the next time you visit you will give us another chance and we appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My wife, adult daughter and I stayed at this facility one night between Christmas and New Years. Generally, I prefer to give a good report or say nothing at all. But, I expect a certain excellence from Hilton, even in their "lower end" facilities, and in this instance there were just a few too many negatives. I want to say up front that the personnel at the desk (Jen, Erika) were very helpful and efficient, no problems here. About the issues: first, we were using points and phoned in the reservation while on the road (such reservations must be made through a Rewards operator). The back and forth and length of time on hold was unacceptably long--at least 20 minutes for the simple reservation of one double room. The hotel itself appears very clean and pleasant, having been recently remodeled. Nice look. However, it is, as they say, what's on the inside that counts. Our shower handle (Room 103) was loose within the wall (poor craftsmanship). The gym room door was malfunctioning and wouldn't accept our room key cards. We were provided with conditioner but no shampoo. The coffee in the lobby was too cool and either of a poor quality or poorly made (tasteless). I forgot my toothbrush (admittedly I'm at fault here) which the hotel was happy to provide, but I must say that the item was the most flimsy and cheap toothbrush I have ever seen, honestly. This is Hilton. I realize that if one tries he/she can be engaged in fault-finding. I don't think that's me; this experience had just a few too many disappointments. The bed, however, was lovely. And the cheerful faces at the desk erase a lot of ills.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Joe H, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbus/Grove City, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and we will make every effort to improve in the areas of your concern. We hope that you will give us another try in the future and allow us to exceed your expectation.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I travel to Grove City about every three months and decided to give HGI another try based on the recent reviews and remodeling. Everything is very good except for the breakfast. The service and food were just as bad as when I last stayed there over a year ago. Also the breakfast area is now set up to mainly accomodate large groups. There are only a few small tables and finding a place to sit for one person is difficult. One other negative is that the clerk at the front desk was not friendly during check in. If breakfast is not an issue for you then this is a good place to stay. For me it is a deal breaker and I will stay at another hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Joe H, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbus/Grove City, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

I’m very sorry that your trip was not satisfactory due to the breakfast. We hear at the Hilton Garden Inn try to make everyones stay feel like your staying at home. I would like to extend an invitation to you to come in and have breakfast on us next time your in town. Although we were not able to make your previous stays a success, we look forward to showing you all the great changes we have made to our restaurant.

Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

OK, how perfect? I travel a lot. Most hotels manage to mess up some where. Not here.

This HGI is well run. The staff is happy and efferent. The rooms were to the Hilton standard. Very comfortable, big big screens.

Breakfast was very tasty with a nice staff.

If we find ourselves in this area we will stay with this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank SH1304

Dear Valued Guest,

I am very glad we made your stay prefect! We enjoy pleasing our guest and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at Hilton Garden Inn over Labor Day. The hotel was very nice, clean, & the staff were friendly. Our only frustration was that the pool was green (we were told the pool was monitored by a third party & they would know if the discoloration was algae. Allegedly it was the new paint job and the lighting that made it look that way.) In the light of day, the color had not gotten better, but worse. Hotel staff informed me we could have used the pool next door, but we were checking out by then.

Overall, the staff helped make it right and we had a nice stay otherwise.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa H

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to extend my apologies for our pool not being to your standards. I know that when you stay in a hotel the pool is one area most people like to visit because its not always something they get to use regularly. Please stop by the pool on your next stay, we have recently repainted it and its always blue.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed for business and personal. Lobby recently updated with Hilton's new Garden Inn concept: hip, open concept (similar to the new Marriott Coutyard's in urban settings). Very friendly staff. Rooms were on par with other Garden Inns I've stayed at. We would stay here again. Gym was small and Jacuzzi cold but other than that we were happy with our choice to stay here.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ohiocouple

Dear Valued Guest,

I’m glad that your stay was exceptional and look forward to accommodating you in future stays. Thank you for bring to our attention the temperature of the Jacuzzi. We have since then set the temperature to 102° degrees and hope this better suits you upon your next stay. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next stay better, as we want all our guest to feel as if they are at home when they stay with us.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I recently visited this property, and below are the pros/cons from our experience:

Pros:
~Very Clean (no bed bugs)
~Relatively Quiet
~Friendly staff
~Great working A/C
~Spacious Room
~Great Food (on site)
~Decent selection of in-room movies
~Close to the freeway and several restaurants/stores

Cons:
~We booked the whirlpool suite (don't waste your money). This jacuzzi tub was like a bathtub with very weak jets. It isn't worth the added expense
~The furniture is not overly comfortable (including the bed). This bed is 'adjustable', but even all the way turned down, it was still too firm.

Overall, for this type of hotel, it was far superior than others in its' class. My husband typically stay at higher-end hotels and/or Bed and Breakfasts, but we thought we would check this property out in case we needed somewhere to stay in an emergency (power outage, A/C or heat outage, etc). This property would be perfect.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on the whirlpool room. The jets are weak!