“Lovely hotel with great food”

Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnby Moor
“Lovely hotel with great food”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Over the last year I have stayed here lots of times as I was working in the area. I can not recommend this hotel enough, every room I had was lovely. The staff are great and if you have been more than once they will remember you.

The food is very good with a good wine list. I have enjoyed many relaxing evenings here and would recommend it for both business stays and for a cosy weekend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your many visits to Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, it's lovely to know we provided a home from home when you were working in the area.
Look forward to welcoming you for that cosy weekend in the not too distant future.
Kate Firth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Doncaster
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

On behalf of my husband and I (always wanted to say that)
we married at Ye Olde Bell
Last year on 24 November.
We had 180 guests at the wedding and the hotel couldn't do enough for us.
So obviously, on our 1st anniversary on Sunday 24 Nov we booked for Sunday lunch in the 1650 restaurant. Kate and Billy, hotel and restaurant managers had dressed the window sill where we were eating, with a lovely big red heart and candles and even an anniversary card. We were so touched. The forod was excellent as usual and all the staff are always very courteous. May I say in particular young Ashley and Robin are a credit to Kate and Billy. They all, always make us feel like a big family no matter how busy they are. Thank you once again to all of you x Cheryl and Grenville.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
I can't believe you've had a year of wedded bliss already!! Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we really do appreciate your lovely comments.
It's always great to see you both and a pleasure to look after you.
See you soon
Kate
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had our Christmas Dinner Dance at the hotel.
it was brilliant, the food which for many Christmas do's we have been to is usually crap, was fantastic, really tasty, we actually stayed in the hotel and the Breakfast was just as good, and we had it in our room, ON TIME
The hotel itself is lovely has a real homely feeling, open fires burning lovely Christmas atmosphere with all the decorations
Will definitely be going again

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
I'm delighted you enjoyed your Christmas Celebrations at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, it's just the perfext place for a festive get together. I love the atmosphere at Christmas; log fires, cosy leather sofas and the aroma of mulled wine eminating from the bar....Mmmm.
I'm thrilled you will be returning, hope to see you soon.
Kind regards and Happy Christmas!
yorkshire
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Spent a night here before a wedding. The room was excellent. Breakfast service was a little slow. The wedding meal service was much better. I know the hotel from 40 years ago when I was a child, so it was a nostalgic visit. Late arriving guests were well looked after by the night staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
I love that feeling of nostalgia when you visit places remembered from childhood,
I'm sure Ye Olde Bell is still very recognisable as the hotel you knew 40 years ago,as a local landmark the exterior has changed very little over the years.
Lots has changed on the inside though with a complete restoration to bring us firmly into the 21st Century and we've still managed to preserve all the quirky features along with the lovely warm feeling you get when you walk through the door.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope it won't be 40 yeras until you visit us again.
Kate
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I was given to believe this hotel was top notch, even the price of a room for the evening did seem to endorse this belief. However, the truth is very different. I recently stayed there for one night with my wife, for the Grove ball event. On arrival at the hotel, we were greeted warmly enough by the receptionist and check in was a pretty painless affair. We were told where our room was, on the second floor and then left to arrange getting our own bags to the room. No offer of assistance from any one, no dedicated staff in place to transport baggage to the room for you. I have to add here, the room cost us £130 for the night, including breakfast. This puts the hotel in the bracket of high price and therefore should also put it in the bracket of high service,unfortunately that is not the case.

We set off up the staircase to the room. The hotel is very tired, the carpet is extremely threadbare and worn, not to mention filthy. The walls need a good coat of TLC and the paint work is tired, dry and cracked. Some would say this adds character, in reality it smacks of neglect.

The room it's self was clean and tidy. There was absolutely nothing in the room though to justify the price of it. My friend has a small hotel in the peak district in Derbyshire, with better rooms, more little extras and at a fraction of the price. Overall, very, very disappointing.

The staff though were for the most part very friendly and warm and the service was good, again, not to the standard that I would expect from such a hotel.

Overall, I would sum the old Bell as over priced and disappointing and the owners / management should either up their game to match the expectations of discerning guests, or lower their prices and bring it in line with the actual rating it is. A four star hotel it is not, more a two star at the moment. My personal preference, would be that they up their game and make much needed improvements. It is the little things that make a hotel great and this one needs a little more work on the little things.

Would I stay here again? No, not as things are with it at present.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank yorkshirewizard55
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for writing such a detailed review following your recent stay at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, I'm very sorry there were aspects which you found disappointing and hope you will accept my sincere apology.
Our policy is to always offer help with luggage so I cannot understand why you were not provided with this service, I will certainly reiterate the importance of this to the reception team and do my utmost to ensure it doesn't happen again.
I'm really surprised you felt the hotel was 'tired'. I think the decor is stunning with a fine array of top quality furnishings, rich, deep carpets and beautiful antiques throughout. In addition we all work very hard to keep everything in tip top condition.
A tremendous amount of careful thought and planning has gone into the restoration of the hotel retaining many traditional features that blend with the modern facilities that the discerning guest of today would expect.
I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments in person as I am a little mystified and would be most grateful if you'd contact me at the hotel.
On a positive note I hope you enjoyed the Grove and Rufford Ball, everyone seemed to have fantastic time and we are busy planning to build on that success for 2014.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Nottingham
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Very pleasantly surprised by the high quality of this hotel on a recent business trip. The room was a good size, very comfortable double bed. Tea, coffee and cookie in room. Good quality shower and modern bathroom. Dinner in the restaurant was relatively expensive but there was a wide range of choices and specials, but overall I thought the hotel offered good value and I'd happily return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Fantastic to know your recent business trip was such a pleasure and thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor, we appreciate all feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Derby
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is our second visit here and we love it. We stayed in April for one night then returned November for two nights. We stayed in the courtyard in an upgraded room which was stunning and comfortable with a superb bath. The food was fantastic and the staff are extremely helpful, polite and friendly especially Jerry the assistant Manager who couldn't of been nicer or more inviting. Our only disappointment I will point out was the menu. We ate in the bistro the first night thinking we would have something more relaxing then posh it up in the restaurant on night two but when our food arrived (which was to die for) we realised we had ordered exactly the same as we had in April. We checked the menu to find out it was exactly the same. We thought maybe they served it in the restaurant for a few months then swapped but no we discovered that the restaurant menu was exactly the same as the bistro and also the lunch menu! So we had three meals there and all had to be chosen from the same menu. I know it's only a small thing but I thought it was worth mentioning as we've never come across it before especially for it not having changed since April! I would still recommend it and we will certainly return and have the steak and ale pie and chips!

Room Tip: Room 74 is divine!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very positive comments following a recent visit to Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, I'm delighted you had such a fabulous time. I couldn't agree with you more about Jerry, he's only been with us a few months and has already become another invaluable member of the team, it's a real pleasure to work with him.
I appreciate your feedback about the menu but it has actually changed several times since April as we aim to keep it fresh and seasonal. We do not change all the dishes each time so this is perhaps why it seemed familiar. I think if I tried to remove our famous homemade steak and ale pie I could well have an uprising on my hands!!
I will definitely bear you comments in mind though next time we review the menu, thank you.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnby Moor
Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel
The Forest Lodge Hotel
The Forest Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Edwinstowe

Been to Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!