“business trip”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnby Moor
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
“business trip”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The Olde Bell Hotel is like a second home to me I have stayed there on a regular basis over the last ten years and witnessed the vast improvements by the present owners over the last few years.
This hotel is second to none for value, comfort, great food and very friendly efficient staff who make your stay special. The location is also very good for both the business and private traveller only a short ride away from Robin Hood Airport (Doncaster) and also Doncaster Races.

Room Tip: all rooms are very comfortable but you can upgrade to a four poster room for a special occasion.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you....always a pleasure to have you stay with us. You will have seen some phenomenal changes in the past 10 years and now with the unending support of wonderful private owners the hotel continues to improve and flourish year on year.
Thank you for your loyalty throughout the transition period and I hope you continue to enjoy this fabulous hotel in its period of renaisssance.
Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kate Firth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
sheffield
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Sunday morning, the day after a family wedding at the hotel. We did not stay at the hotel but returned to join family members who had, for breakfast. A big mistake! The Full English Breakfast at £16 was far too overpriced for the quality of this hotel. The service was appalling; reheated sausages from the BBQ the night before and dry black pudding, to name a few items we were dissatisfied with. It also included 3 attempts to get the correct food for one of our party; in which time the items that had arrived were cold! We continually had to prompt for service the duration of the breakfast.
When we came to pay the bill at the reception, the receptionist completely ignored our feedback concerning the poor food and service; in fact she found it very difficult to make eye-contact. We shall not be returning and recommend others give this place a wide berth.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SheffieldRaven
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your visit to the hotel for breakfast, I am so sorry you were disapppointed with the quality and service and hope you will accept my sincere apology.
I am also very concerned that your feedback was not passed on to me at the time, please be assured I have taken the necessary action to ensure all guests' comments are recorded and acted upon.
Guest satisfaction is of paramount importance to me and should you visit the hotel again in the future you will be assured our very best attention.

South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Visited on Thursday for pasta and prosecco as advertised in local press, only to be told by two members of staff that it was 'pizza and prosecco', as I don't care for pizza we ordered from normal menu, which was delicious. As we left, on the advertising board outside there it was, pizza or pasta and prosecco, on Thursdays, I felt disappointed

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant. This has been a very popular promotion and eventhough all members of the team are thoroughly briefed you were obviously given incorrect information for which I am very sorry.
We definitely offer Pizza or Pasta and Prosecco every Thursday either on the Garden Terrace, in the bustling St Leger Bistro by the Bar or the vibrant new Restaurant Bar 1650.
I am delighted you enjoyed the meal you chose from our extensive menu and I would be delighted if you would visit us again so you can enjoy our excellent Pasta and Prosecco.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 23, 2013

On our visit to the UK we chose to enjoy a family lunch at the Ye Olde Bell restaurant. The quality of the service and the food were both of a high standard. With a group of 8 ranging from 8 to 86, everybody was very pleased with their respective meals. Having enjoyed two weeks of Italian restaurants it certainly did not disappoint. The pizza even received thumbs up from the 14 yr old. The desserts too were very popular.

We're not aware of comparable restaurants in the area, but it was certainly an improvement on the standard carvery fare.

Two minor complaints, the rose wine was served at room temp - not really suitable for the wine or a summer's day and yes I agree with other reviewers it's not a cheap lunch .....but then again what is a good meal worth?

Oh by the way the gardens are beautiful

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
I hope you had a good trip back to Australia, thank you for visiting us and for taking the time to share your experience. I'm delighted you had a great lunch, pizzas are one of our latest ventures and I've loved all the necessary sampling to get them just right!!
I'm sorry your wine was not quite cold enough, I'll remedy that immediately and thank you for appreciating lunch was excellent value for money.
I'm thrilled you had the opportunity to enjoy our beautiful gardens..nowhere better for this glorious British summer we are all experiencing!!
Hope to see you again
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed last night with a friend was warmly greeted by a lovley lady at reception on arrival. A young lady gave us a tour of the suites at the hotel she was very helpful and just couldnt do enough for you Our room was amazing to say the least we had dinner at the hotel excellent service from Adam our waiter for the evening this place is a true treasure if you love quaint surroundings beautiful furniture and things to do near by then please try ye old bell I will defiantly be back sometime soon

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments following a recent stay at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant.
I really do appreciate you taking the time to write a review.
I'm so pleased you were well looked after, we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed at the hotel on the evening of a wedding so thankfully got our room at a reduced price, which was still far to expensive. The small room had only a small window to open on one of the hottest nights of the year, the widow in the bathroom was painted shut. Unfortunately for the other guests who's room looked into ours,they would have had the unpleasant sight of my husband and I trying to sleep in our baking hot room as there was no net curtain and if we had closed the curtains we would have shut out the small draft, heated by the air con units that were buzzing around us. The toilet kept on filling with water unless you kept pressing the flush button to stop it, the shower leaked more water from where it connected to the wall than came out of the shower head and it would have been nice to have a shower hat in the empty box I was left with. Breakfast, was a hectic affair, a reasonable full English breakfast but the tea and toast we ordered when we first sat down would have been nice to have with the breakfast instead of afterwards, when we had had to re order it a few times. The hall ways to the bedrooms could have done with a good clean and hoover.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback following a recent stay at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, I am so sorry there were aspects in which you were disappointed.
Our rooms are all very unique ranging from pretty 'cottage' style to elegant high rooms with leaded windows to stunning suites, something to suit all tastes I feel.
If only you had made your feelings known at the time I'm sure we could have shown you a few alternative rooms which may have been more suitable to your individual needs.
It has been gloriously warm lately and I fully appreciate the need for the circulation of air so will check all windows open freely.
I'm not sure which room you stayed in, however they are all regularly checked by our housekeeping team and I have had no further reports of leaking showers or continually filling toilets.
Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast, we continually monitor service standards and feedback is invaluable to ensure we deliver the correct training.
I sincerely hope you will not be deterred from using the hotel again in the future, we will do our utmost to ensure you have a memorable and enjoyable stay.
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Having arrived promptly for our 7:30pm reservation we chose to go straight to our table. Food menus were provided within a few minutes, but the wine list had to be requested. Only after our food order had been placed were we informed that the kitchen was very busy and there might be a wait for our meals. Indeed we waited nearly an hour. Twice a waiter came to apologise for the delay but on neither occasion were we offered any bread or other nibbles to stave off our growing hunger pangs.

Two of the main courses were very good indeed, the rack of lamb and turbot and scallop fricassé. The chips accompanying the burger and steak however were soggy, the steak was not cooked as requested, a reminder had to be given for the order of a stilton sauce and, the preferred choice of mustard (wholegrain) was offered but then found to be unavailable. The alternative choice of French mustard had a crust on it suggesting it had been sitting on the shelf for some time. When the Stilton sauce arrived after fifteen minutes (and a reminder to the waiter) it was clearly split. However the waiter just left it on the table and walked away. When called back to the table he was initially reluctant to do anything about it, but did then agree to bring a replacement. Eventually a correctly made sauce was served, though by this time most of the steak had been consumed! As our plates were cleared we informed the head waiter of our dissatisfaction. No apology or comment was made, leaving us with the impression that he was not in the least concerned.

Desserts were more successful, but were followed by us being given the wrong bill! All in all we were extremely disappointed and are unlikely to return to the restaurant. Visitors to the Olde Bell should expect to receive courteous service from the staff with any complaints being dealt with appropriately. This was far from our experience this evening.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Deborah C
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
I am so sorry you had a disappointing experience in our restaurant recently and I hope you will accept my sincere apology. Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am grateful for all feedback as it is invaluable in assessing and striving to improve the standards of service we offer.

It is very rare that I receive any adverse comments regarding the loyal, hardworking, professional restaurant team but it is obvious on this occasion we did not perform to our usual high standards.

There is no excuse whatsoever for poor levels of service and without doubt yor feedback on the evening should have been acted upon and every effort should have been made to rectify your dissatisfaction. Please be assured I will be instigating the necessary training to prevent any reoccurrence.

I have great confidence in the ability and commitment of my team and I know they will share my disappointment in this review. I hope I can convince you this is not our normal performance and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to one of our restaurants in the near future when we may have the opportunity to redeeem ourselves.
Should you wish to discuss anything further please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel, I will be most happy to talk to you.

Kate
Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel
The Forest Lodge Hotel
The Forest Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Edwinstowe

Been to Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!