“A cosy home-from-home”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnby Moor
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“A cosy home-from-home”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is my new home-for-home for the next few months as I work at the nearby power stations. The hotel is cosy without being overly cute, the menu is extensive and reasonable, the bar is charming with two real ales, and the service is very helpful. And there's wi-fi throughout too.

Room Tip: The rooms are pretty much all different and I've not had a bad one yet, except for 62 where the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Thank you for your recent review 'home-from-home' is one of the greatest compliments we could receive. I'm delighted you have felt comfortable at Ye Olde Bell and that you have found everyone helpful.
You may be pleased to know that we have recently installed satellite broadband so our complimentary wifi is now most definitely available in every area of the hotel.
Kate Firth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

The service, surroundings and food were excellent.However,slightly smaller portions at lower prices would be more acceptable.My fish risotto was a mountain of rice, the amount of fish being negligible.My niece had the same dish and could not finish the excess of rice,either.Having eaten in some first class establishments in and around Great Britain,the consensus of opinion ,in our party was that the prices are inflated and exaggerated compared with rooms tariff.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your most constructive review, posted following a recent visit to one of our restaurants. I am delighted you found the service, surroundings and food excellent.
I appreciate your comments regarding portion size and pricing and we will definitely consider your feedback when compiling our new menu.
I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Fantastic wedding at the Olde Bell. Lovely atmosphere, great food, roaring open fire, beautiful room. Grounds great for photo opportunities. All in all a wonderful weekend. Would recommend for Weddings and special occasions.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
'All in all a wonderful weekend'........thank you very much, just what we love to hear!!
I'm delighted you enjoyed the wedding and I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team.
I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future whether it's for another special occasion, dinner in one of our smart restaurants or just a drink on the stunning terrace!!
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My new husband and I choose The Olde Bell for our wedding and were were so glad we did.
The staff there are so organised and proficient that the day went perfectly and the organising of it prior to the wedding, was a doddle. Kate has an amazing way of making big decisions easy and stressless.

Our guests were all delighted with the venue. It is beautiful and full of charm. We were very laid back about choosing food and drinks packages and didn't really give it much thought, so when each course arrived and proved itself to be delicious and fantastic quality we were delighted. The service was wonderful and our guests with dietry requirements were really impressed with how the hotel catered for their needs. Our gluten free guest has said it was the best service she has recieved in any restaurant she has eaten in and felt very safe in their hands.

All through the day staff were on hand to guide us help us get the nuts and bolts of the day right. Chris was wonderful at gently organising us and presenting us with choices when necessary and making it all run smoothly.

The rooms were wonderful and very clean. We were fortunate enough to stay in the Victoria Suit and would recommend it to anyone. We are already excitied at the prospect of returning for anniversaries.

Many of the guest have commented on what a relaxed day we had and I think much of that has to do with the superb attitude of the hotel staff. 'Plush not posh' is a very good slogan for the hotel not just because of the beautiful furnishings but also because of the unpretencious and relaxed way in which they opperate. I would recommend it as a wedding venue to anyone, it really couldnt have been a better day.

Room Tip: If you want to splash out for a special occasion the Victoria Suit will not disappoint. It certainly...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cordren
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful and detailed review following your wedding held at Ye Olde Bell Hotel.
I'm delighted you had such a memorable day. Weddings take a lot of planning from all concerned parties and it is so satisfying when everything comes together and you can realise your dreams.
It was an absolute pleasure to look after you and we too look forward to those special anniversaries, see you next year if not before!
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We booked Sunday lunch on Mothers Day as a treat for my mum. The ambience was great and the restaurant busy. Everyone enjoyed their food. The pricing is slightly higher than other similar places but this is reflected by the quality of the food. I would definitely recommend the Olde Bell for special occasions.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I'm delighted you enjoyed Mothering Sunday lunch at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, it's always so satisfying to see mums get the recognition they deserve!
Thank you for your very positive feedback I really appreciate you taking the time to write a review and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel great staff hope to stay again. A lot of character and lovely rooms. Great breakfast. Just wish I had arrived early enough to sample the Resturaunt. Young staff where a breath of fresh air good banter.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank StevePaton
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at Ye Olde Bell, I particulary appreciated your comment regarding our young staff being a breath of fresh air...good to hear their natural friendly attitude is acknowledged.
I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon when I hope you'll arrive in time for dinner...it's a real treat!
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just spent a night for an event, food was good on the night. Room very disappointing with marks on the carpet, bathroom was nice and bright. But to be honest have stayed in much nicer hotels for less money. Staff polite yes, helpful, when I asked reception for a box of matches..straight no! The four stars I feel are a more realistic 3 stars. It is a lovely old hotel. Breakfast well disappointing, one rash of fairly standard bacon,overcooked sausage, tinned mushrooms, hash brown very poor, and at £16 for a breakfast they are taking the mickey, to be totally honest Witherspoons quality at Ritz price!! I would have expected a much higher quality, and the waiter didn t ask any of how we would like our eggs!! £95 for the night, not good value, extremely let down as it was not just a function but special personal night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kate F, General Manager at Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for attending an event at Ye Olde Bell Hotel recently and for taking the time to write a review. Your positive comments regarding the quality of food at the event are greatly appreciated- thank you.
I do wish you had raised your disappointment with the room at your time of arrival, it's actually one of my favourites with a lovely feature bed and a luxurious roll top bath but I do realise that everyone's preferences are different.We would have happily allocated you a different room.
I'm delighted you found my staff polite and sorry that we were unable to locate you a box of matches. As we are a non smoking hotel, matches are not something we stock.... perhaps I should review this policy.
I'm surprised and sorry you didn't enjoy your breakfast, it's usually such a hearty, delicious meal and as we only used locally sourced bacon, sausage and black pudding it's quite a treat.
I am sorry you felt let down and given the opportunity we would have done our utmost to ensure this was not the case. Even on check out when asked how you had enjoyed your stay there was no mention of your disappointment, such as shame as we genuinely strive to make every stay special.
Should you wish to discuss anything further please feel free to contact me at the hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnby Moor
The Crown Hotel
The Crown Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bawtry
Travelodge Blyth A1 M Hotel

Been to Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!